Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Is a compromise a small unchanged lower tier - family stand. And then a new tier attached to the present second tier to make a combined second and third tier - with no corporate. I’m not sure if that’s technically possible but it would be a good compromise and I guess this new combined upper tier could be rail seating / safe standing.
Doubt any safe standing would be in a combined upper tier, but maybe the remaining bottom tier. But think bigger second tier is much more likely than a large single tier, mainly because I can't see how a single tier is acheivable without closing one end for a season I could be wrong on that though.

So, I’ve done some ‘analysis’ and decided that a one tiered stand would be hard as **** to pull off.

Basicially if you have standing behind the goal then you have to have it in the corners as well or else the view of some fans in those corners will be partly obstructed by those in the standing section.

This becomes an even bigger issue when you consider that to produce a one tiered stand, the current stand would need to be completely rebuilt at a new angle which would fit within the confines of the original cable net and supports.

If the stand was rebuilt without the corners then some people sat there would also have an angle of the pitch cut off by the new steeper stand.

Due to building a new steeper stand these corners would therefore need to be rebuilt or remodelled, which is where the difficulty comes in as they are also part of the CB and East Stand, running under the third tiers which actually run past the pitch.

This can be seen in the photo below:

See the new Spurs one tier stand which covers the corners. You can see the edges of those corners are also at a higher level than the stands at the sides:

The seats on the sides right next to the small walls of where the steeper one tiered stand begins must be at least parallel to the touchline to avoid having views blocked off by the walls. Easy to do when you build a stadium from scratch, not so much when you’re reworking.

And here’s an example of how the one tiered stand cuts into the side stands:

This is what we would need to happen and why it would be so hard to pull off given the CB and East Stands arent configured with a one tiered stand in mind.

Closer look at the wall divide between the two stands which is there due to the single tier stand being much steeper:

Verdict:

A single tier North Stand would require much of the current North Stand to be demolished. The redevelopment would impact the northern ends of the CB and East Stands as the corners would also need to be completely remodelled. This would be extremely difficult to pull off, requiring full stand closure for a time if they did it over one season and would be very expensive and costly in terms of build and lost ticket revenue. The end result would obviously be a brilliant ‘home end’ stand though.

The easier solutions are to do a copy of the South Stand (the original plan), or expand the current second tier like in the pics below, perhaps having the lower tier (and corners!) as safe standing if there is a change in government legislation.
At last some sanity on this thread, I've been saying this all along When its done, and its not soon, then it will be a mirror of the South Stand might have incorporated "safe standing" on the lower tier though

Well city are selling a model of the Etihad on the official website and it has the north stand extended and it’s the same as the south stand

Lad who went on the tour this past week was told North Stand within 2-3 years.

Will be quicker than that. The project manager who built the other end started in it about 3 weeks ago. Looking at it. Was told today there were issues with the power supply capacity for the area which have now been sorted. Also got told a replica of other end.

Would a couple of spirals on a extended NS help out at the end of the game, this seems to be a common complaint about the SS.

Pretty decent crowd Today. Not that many empty seats. And against Southampton. No disrespect. The top tier of the away end was full of City fans.

Pretty decent crowd Today. Not that many empty seats. And against Southampton. No disrespect. The top tier of the away end was full of City fans.
Moved from Colin Bell 3 to SS Upper so that my son and I could take Grandson and his Mother. We couldn't get 4 tickets together until Southampton sent the top block back yet all over the stadium yesterday there were lots of seats together in fact in 209 there were 9 seats on one row Lots in the family stand as well

Well city are selling a model of the Etihad on the official website and it has the north stand extended and it’s the same as the south stand

I hope not. That would be a complete wasted opportunity to actually have a proper home end. The south stand expansion with a corporate in the middle has been a bit crap in my opinion and hasn’t helped the atmosphere at all.

This is our one chance to have a proper home end. The way it’s sounding we are basically just going to have a copy of Arsenal’s ground

I’d also say we don’t actually have the fan base to fill an expanded ground and I’d rather have a smaller ground that was full every week.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.