Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

The E & W stands don't need to completed at the same time for starters. The South stand 3rd tier doesn't support the roof I think, it has vertical steelwork at the back to take the load straight down and the cables at the front edge. I can't see a reason why this couldn't work for the E & W stands also.

You've answered some of your own questions surely, as the building method would be similar to the SS construction. The 3rd tier concourse would increase in capacity (as would the 1st & 2nd tier concourses.

To answer your list of 6 questions you'd be best advised to ask the architects or builders.

You are correct - any changes to the E and W stands would see the footprint extended outwards to give more space inside - (even if that included the spirals) for larger concourses and more options for lounges, restaurants and kitchens etc…. Adding additional seats wouldn’t generate as much revenue as extended corporate facilities.

The E & W stands don't need to completed at the same time for starters. The South stand 3rd tier doesn't support the roof I think, it has vertical steelwork at the back to take the load straight down and the cables at the front edge. I can't see a reason why this couldn't work for the E & W stands also.

You've answered some of your own questions surely, as the building method would be similar to the SS construction. The 3rd tier concourse would increase in capacity (as would the 1st & 2nd tier concourses.

To answer your list of 6 questions you'd be best advised to ask the architects or builders.

The images you referred to in another post are official concept renders. I’m not sure the rest of this post is correct either.

Doing the sides is a completely different job than doing behind the goals mainly because of the spirals/masts. There’s a very little room to create a structure able of supporting a new roof while theses masts and the current cable net are in place. This is why someone mentioned having to take down the cable net and do both side stands at the same time. Unfortunately, we’re not in Madrid so having two stands without a roof for a season doesn’t really work.

If you look at the below image there also isn’t actually room to expand the third tiers because the large masts are actually in the way of where the expanded terracing would need to be.

shutterstock_2202058135-man-city-crop-etihad.jpg

One solution would be to demolish the spirals, create temporary access points and stairways, take down the cable net and create a temporary cover on both side stands while construction could then take place behind the stand like with the NS and SS.

Potentially they could also create temporary structures to hold up the current roof in place of having a temporary roof. It’s all so messy that you wonder whether it’s even worth the hassle, especially as the cost would be absolutely mega.

Last edited:
The images you referred to in another post are official concept renders. I’m not sure the rest of this post is correct either.

Doing the sides is a completely different job than doing behind the goals mainly because of the spirals/masts. There’s a very little room to create a structure able of supporting a new roof while theses masts and the current cable net are in place. This is why someone mentioned having to take down the cable net and do both side stands at the same time. Unfortunately, we’re not in Madrid so having two stands without a roof for a season doesn’t really work.

If you look at the below image there also isn’t actually room to expand the third tiers because the large masts are actually in the way of where the expanded terracing would need to be.

shutterstock_2202058135-man-city-crop-etihad.jpg

One solution would be to demolish the spirals, create temporary access points and stairways, take down the cable net and create a temporary cover on both side stands while construction could then take place behind the stand like with the NS and SS.

Potentially they could also create temporary structures to hold up the current roof in place of having a temporary roof. It’s all so messy that you wonder whether it’s even worth the hassle, especially as the cost would be absolutely mega.
All possible for sure but there is a lot more room between the existing roof and the roof support steelwork than your picture would indicate. Especially as the steelwork leans outwards and the new roof would be higher up the steelwork so that (presumably) they slope down to the pitch.

Etihad-Stadium-Manchester02.jpg

All possible for sure but there is a lot more room between the existing roof and the roof support steelwork than your picture would indicate. Especially as the steelwork leans outwards and the new roof would be higher up the steelwork so that (presumably) they slope down to the pitch.

View attachment 64719

Not enough room to warrant such a considerably large construction process to add a relatively few extra rows I’d have thought. Tbh, I don’t think it’s something we’ll be worrying about for a long time.

Last edited:

I don’t see how the method would be similar as an additional tier wouldn’t be added
If you look at the southern stand the additional steel works for the new roof is added within the extension the outside steel work is just part of the structure
I doubt the E & W stands could be extended without the stadium being closed for a substantial amount of time and the only option would be City playing in Trafford
Adding upwards of 5000 seats at a the cost involved doesn’t make any sense especially with the new UEFA FFP regulations whereby infrastructure isn’t exempt from calculations then I very much doubt it will ever be done

View attachment 64719
Roof support is on the spirals and then back down to ground level
The only way I see an extension would be to build new roof support from ground up outside of the spirals this would then be in place to remove the current roof in the close season I doubt that the new roof beams and canopy could be added before the season begins meaning a long time with the seats, including corporate, being exposed to the weather It is then complicated when the cablenet support would have to be removed unless both stands were done at the same time

Not enough room to warrant such a considerably large construction process to add a relatively few extra rows I’d have thought. Tbh, I don’t think it’s something we’ll be worrying about for a long time.
I would I’m a FOC.

Roof support is on the spirals and then back down to ground level
The only way I see an extension would be to build new roof support from ground up outside of the spirals this would then be in place to remove the current roof in the close season I doubt that the new roof beams and canopy could be added before the season begins meaning a long time with the seats, including corporate, being exposed to the weather It is then complicated when the cablenet support would have to be removed unless both stands were done at the same time
If they're going to do it (I'm not ITK, it's just a hope from me) then yes, I can't really see them not doing both at the same time which complicates things.

The roof support from the steelworks inside of the spirals supports the front edge of the stand. The back will be on steelwork that goes down vertical I think. There's no reason I can see to stop them doing what they did with the South stand and put new vertical steelwork either along the centre point of the spirals to support the back of the new stand and having the new exterior only half enveloping the spirals, or just make it bigger and enveloping the spirals entirely. The steelwork could still be used for the cable supporting the front lip of the roof.

I'm envisioning the exterior lip of the South stand sweeping round to make it a bowl shape again. There still looks to be enough space with the existing E & W steelwork leaning back for a lot of leeway.

It won't just be a 'few rows' either as the seats can be extended sideways to more or less meet up with the N & S tiers (I can't recall what figures were being bandied about). There'll be all the extra concourse space for additional corporate and fan food & drink outlets as well.

DWoHnKjX0AAHsKO.jpg

If they're going to do it (I'm not ITK, it's just a hope from me) then yes, I can't really see them not doing both at the same time which complicates things.

The roof support from the steelworks inside of the spirals supports the front edge of the stand. The back will be on steelwork that goes down vertical I think. There's no reason I can see to stop them doing what they did with the South stand and put new vertical steelwork either along the centre point of the spirals to support the back of the new stand and having the new exterior only half enveloping the spirals, or just make it bigger and enveloping the spirals entirely. The steelwork could still be used for the cable supporting the front lip of the roof.

I'm envisioning the exterior lip of the South stand sweeping round to make it a bowl shape again. There still looks to be enough space with the existing E & W steelwork leaning back for a lot of leeway.

It won't just be a 'few rows' either as the seats can be extended sideways to more or less meet up with the N & S tiers (I can't recall what figures were being bandied about). There'll be all the extra concourse space for additional corporate and fan food & drink outlets as well.

View attachment 64731

Not really correct again. The corners are off limits due to the cable net. At most you can get an extra small block (a couple of hundred seats if that) or so in there while the net is in place.

I may be wrong but wasn't the South Stand between the corner flags closed for most of the season during building work?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.