Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Passed the Arena at noon today,saw the huge crane sticking 10-15m above roof height,must be getting ready for the roof beams.

I thought that as well last week. I was wrong.Thought the static crane was going up, but it was the tall arm of the remaining crawler crane on-site. The static crane should be going up next month.

You can see it on the live webcam view. Scroll down the page.

Last edited:
Casually? Is it the same for people talking about the NS expansion?

The entire E & W roof would need replacing (the same as was done for the SS and will be for the NS). They could remove the cable net system then as it wouldn't be needed, and complete the corners. It's not just adding a few rows along the back (forget another tier, I don't believe that's possible). They'll also extend the wings of the E & S stands to close the gap to the N & S stands. This is why I believe the NS will be 3 tiers rather than 2.

The picture below explains it better although it seems to indicate replacing the 3rd tier on the E & W sides rather than just extending:-
View attachment 64648
Remove the existing roof completely and the cablenet? Sounds simple

The roof cable ties can be modified in size. The steel pillars they are attached to are permanent. So changing the roof size and shape isn't difficult, especially for Architects and Engineers.

Casually? Is it the same for people talking about the NS expansion?

The entire E & W roof would need replacing (the same as was done for the SS and will be for the NS). They could remove the cable net system then as it wouldn't be needed, and complete the corners. It's not just adding a few rows along the back (forget another tier, I don't believe that's possible). They'll also extend the wings of the E & S stands to close the gap to the N & S stands. This is why I believe the NS will be 3 tiers rather than 2.

The picture below explains it better although it seems to indicate replacing the 3rd tier on the E & W sides rather than just extending:-
View attachment 64648
What are the white triangular things between the spirals (top right view)?

Well they've already removed one quarter of the roof and once the NS is done it'll be half way done. The Cable Net has to stay until the E & W stands are done.
It won’t be half way done as the project to remove the E & W roof will be far more complex if the stadium is to remain open
The South stand was built around the existing structure with the extra tier added behind and a new roof built above before the canopy was removed then the beams were removed in the close season
The E & W stand reroofing and additional seats is a different proposition as, unlike the South stand where the additional tier was used to build a roof support structure I don’t see where this would be the third tier concourse is already too small!
Anyhow a few questions for you
1) What would you think the timescale to remove the roof on the E & W stands would be?
2) How long for the construction of the new roof and the supporting structure?
3) Once all 4 stands have new roofs then the the cablenet can be removed how long would this take?
4) What do think this would cost?
5) How many extra seats would it provide?
6) Do you think the stadium will be open during the demolition and construction phases, considering it has to be used frequently by the public whilst construction is caries out?

What are the white triangular things between the spirals (top right view)?
Not a scooby bud, I'm not even sure where those images originated in the first place, whether they're semi-official or perhaps someone on the skyscrapercity website mocked them up.

Edit: @DiscoSteve maybe? @jrb may know.

Last edited:
It won’t be half way done as the project to remove the E & W roof will be far more complex if the stadium is to remain open
The South stand was built around the existing structure with the extra tier added behind and a new roof built above before the canopy was removed then the beams were removed in the close season
The E & W stand reroofing and additional seats is a different proposition as, unlike the South stand where the additional tier was used to build a roof support structure I don’t see where this would be the third tier concourse is already too small!
Anyhow a few questions for you
1) What would you think the timescale to remove the roof on the E & W stands would be?
2) How long for the construction of the new roof and the supporting structure?
3) Once all 4 stands have new roofs then the the cablenet can be removed how long would this take?
4) What do think this would cost?
5) How many extra seats would it provide?
6) Do you think the stadium will be open during the demolition and construction phases, considering it has to be used frequently by the public whilst construction is caries out?
The E & W stands don't need to completed at the same time for starters. The South stand 3rd tier doesn't support the roof I think, it has vertical steelwork at the back to take the load straight down and the cables at the front edge. I can't see a reason why this couldn't work for the E & W stands also.

You've answered some of your own questions surely, as the building method would be similar to the SS construction. The 3rd tier concourse would increase in capacity (as would the 1st & 2nd tier concourses.

To answer your list of 6 questions you'd be best advised to ask the architects or builders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.