Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

You mean the expo buildings? Only in videos and pictures. I was going to go to Valencia, but it feel through on 3 occasions due to the COVID pandemic. I’m still planning to go to Valencia. When I do I’ll have a look at the expo buildings.
Those are the ones, they are magnificent, the whole area is.

A must visit location
1692609850884.png

Attracts a huge number of visitors to Manchester , it's an advert for the City.

The old arena internals were very good when built but the building itself was almost invisible, surrounded by the station and adjacent buildings, again such a shame for a venue that attracts millions of visitors.

Sydney Opera house and the New globe in Vegas, stunning bits of architecture.

Superb that Manchester has got a new, "world class" concert venue that can attract the best best of events, but the external design is far from world class.
You mention the Sydney Opera House. Indeed it has turned into a truly iconic building but that was more by accident than anything else.

It was supposed to around $A7.7million when commissioned. The only problem that the original design wouldn’t stand up. The only way they could stand up was having columns inside the main auditorium.

So they had to redesign it to make it stand up. That made the main auditorium unsuitable for grand opera as the stage moving equipment (already purchased for $A2.7million) had to be scrapped and instead it became a concert hall with opera being consigned to the smaller theatre.

The project was eventually completed 10 years late at a cost of $A102milllion. That was after the car park was eliminated to save $A6million.

The project would have been scrapped had not the cost escalation been withheld from the New South Wales Parliament. By the time it was apparent, it would have cost more to cancel the project than complete.

So don’t cite the Sydney Opera house in any connection with producing a commercially viable project. It was intended as a statement by the New South Wales Government, and in particular by its PM, John Joseph Cahill. It succeeded in that mission of making Sydney known and attracting tourists. It did not succeed in making it a success as an opera house.

Last edited:
Co-op live is a very functional building. It uses all the space it has available to ensure inside is a big as it can be. I am sure the constrained site and the requirement to build a massive concert hall led to the box design. Gropius said form follows function. Function is king in this building. I am sure some Form will be built into the landscaping to soften the building as will the use of lighting and other architect tricks.

Reactions: jrb
Whilst we’re off topic, Bilbao got an absolute bargain. The Guggenheim Museum cost €210mill to build.

1357453C-0AFB-4F9C-82D2-2DC0502B2588.jpeg

I had the pleasure of seeing it in the flesh a few years back. It really is a fantastic building inside and out. I would recommend seeing it and visiting Bilbao, which is a great City.

You mention the Sydney Opera House. Indeed it has turned into a truly iconic building but that was more by accident than anything else.

It was supposed to around $A7.7million when commissioned. The only problem that the original design wouldn’t stand up. The only way they could stand up was having columns inside the main auditorium.

So they had to redesign it to make it stand up. That made the main auditorium unsuitable for grand opera as the stage moving equipment (already purchased for $A2.7million) had to be scrapped and instead it became a concert hall with opera being consigned to the smaller theatre.

The project was eventually completed 10 years late at a cost of $A102milllion. That was after the car park was eliminated to save $A6million.

The project would have been scrapped had not the cost escalation been withheld from the New South Wales Parliament. By the time it was apparent, it would have cost more to cancel the project than complete.

So don’t cite the Sydney Opera house in any connection with producing a commercially viable project. It was intended as a statement by the New South Wales Government, and in particular by its PM, John Joseph Cahill. It succeeded in that mission of making Sydney know and attracting tourists. It did not succeed in making it a success as an opera house.

Designs that we’re never taken forward.

7B58B5C9-0EB4-4208-8872-6763F27BFE96.jpeg

If you remove the sails the Opera House is a pretty brutalist building.

2EB9A359-387B-42F6-93EA-8FCFD82D7956.jpeg

AB75128F-4664-458D-AE04-4CA522052E33.jpeg

1192B8B3-D016-4FF4-A452-A40819B013F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.