Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It will use former (or current?) railway lines. It ain’t going down the A6.

There’s always someone who will moan about anything!
Haha 5 years of work and anything from 500 million to a billion pounds spent, and they are just using old and current lines. Someone is going to make a good butty out of this job.

Anyone now think the club are probably now right to not expand the North Stand?

Sure we’d fill it for most weekend league games but we do struggle when we have midweek cup games and too many of these can even impact the weekend crowds as we saw against Fulham.

Sure we’d fill it for most weekend league games but we do struggle when we have midweek cup games and too many of these can even impact the weekend crowds as we saw against Fulham.

Not really if they priced it right, the Port Vale game shows there are people who will attend when it’s done correctly. We have a waiting list for season tickets which if City priced them like the ones in the south stand when it opened would vanish pretty quickly. If you look at our premier league games for the rest of the season the tickets are selling and you would struggle to find two seats together for the nearer games and that’s at £50 quid to watch teams like Burnley. If they sold the upper tier tickets at £10-15 cheaper in an expanded stadium they would easily shift.

People need to stop being mard arsed about what the bbc and some socially awkward virgin internet trolls who have never been near Old Trafford or Anfield think. We have the 13th highest average attendances in Europe. The Nou camp and Bernabau are empty on champions league group stage matches and really at full capacity when it’s el Classico. Look at the two Milan clubs, their attendances are pitiful for the size of their city and stature of the clubs. A few more seasons like this and the rag day tripper fans will abandon them, they couldn’t sell out a derby when they have 650 million fans apparently.

Not really if they priced it right, the Port Vale game shows there are people who will attend when it’s done correctly. We have a waiting list for season tickets which if City priced them like the ones in the south stand when it opened would vanish pretty quickly. If you look at our premier league games for the rest of the season the tickets are selling and you would struggle to find two seats together for the nearer games and that’s at £50 quid to watch teams like Burnley. If they sold the upper tier tickets at £10-15 cheaper in an expanded stadium they would easily shift.

People need to stop being mard arsed about what the bbc and some socially awkward virgin internet trolls who have never been near Old Trafford or Anfield think. We have the 13th highest average attendances in Europe. The Nou camp and Bernabau are empty on champions league group stage matches and really at full capacity when it’s el Classico. Look at the two Milan clubs, their attendances are pitiful for the size of their city and stature of the clubs. A few more seasons like this and the rag day tripper fans will abandon them, they couldn’t sell out a derby when they have 650 million fans apparently.

United priced well, as was Fulham.

No. The Fulham Cup game was live on BBC against an opponent who brought a small following. The trend in crowds is still upwards but if we wait until every game is sold out we will wait a very long time to expand the stadium. We need a bigger stadium to expand the match-going fan-base.

Man Utd might not sell out, but Real Madrid sold out in days.

How can City convert local interest into match-going fans if for the league games there are very few seats available, and what is available prices many out? We need a bigger stadium to get another tranche of fans around City.

Golden opportunity being wasted because we may never be in this situation again. I think City have the funds to do this through the Silverlake investment. The expansion would cost around £60m and you'd make back £3m a year in match-day revenue just from the increased attendance and then you've got all the benefits from playing on a bigger stage.

Last edited:
United priced well, as was Fulham.

It’s the end of the month in January where people have had to pay for Christmas and then stretch money till pay day at the end of this week. How much money have you got left in your bank account. Port Vale sold well when people had money, do you think our support all have £60k a year salaries or something?

I think the club were genuinely shocked when they opened SS3 & thousands of existing supporters like me transferred in there from more expensive parts of the stadium. I moved from ES3 where I was paying over £700 then to the middle ranking seats in SS3 which were then £380 and more or less everyone around me had done similar.

If the NS is extended by say 6000-8000 seats then the club can open it up for existing SC holders to move into thereby leaving thousands of more expensive seats to shift or they can only offer the new seats to non SC holders. This would hugely piss off those who would want to move and I reckon the non renewal rate would soar.

It’s the end of the month in January where people have had to pay for Christmas and then stretch money till pay day at the end of this week. How much money have you got left in your bank account. Port Vale sold well when people had money, do you think our support all have £60k a year salaries or something?
That's correct but also people had 3 games to chose from , I doubt Fulham would have sold out however it was priced people chose from those 3 games on other criterion otherwise the cheaper Fulham game would have sold out not the more expensive champions league game. I chose Fulham not based on price but because I travel for games and it was the weekend game, I'd have preffered to make the semi or, the c/l.

You’re missing my point entirely.

I’m saying our match going support isn’t currently big enough to fill the current stadium for midweek cup games and that these games can impact the weekend crowds as well. Yes, cost and wages are a factor but tickets won’t ever be cheaper than they are now.

If we had a 60k stadium we’d have 10k empty seats for a derby against United. Personally that tells me that we’d probably be best off waiting a few more years before expanding again.

Originally I thought we should just expand now but the ticket sales for these recent cup games have changed by mind. We need a bigger build up of fans wanting to come to all games before we consider it now I think. Clearly the club have data which is telling them the same thing.

The last expansion doesn't seem to have had a big impact on our matchday income.

2013/14 - £47.5m
2014/15 - £43.3m (this was the season when most of the South Stand build was happening)
2015/16 - £52.5m
2016/17 - £51.9m
2017/18 - £56.6m
2018/19 - £55.0m

These figures are in current prices so some of the increase since 2014/15 is inflation.

Also, I assume that some of the increase since 2015/16 includes income from developments like the Tunnel Club?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.