Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

No building the Swales monstrosity of the Platt Lane stand did that Although the new Kippax Stand, built under Lee was a good capacity it was all seated so it had an effect but no where near the Platt Lane. Swales wanted to take the Platt Lane stand around into the Kippax, I know that for a fact because he told me in person. I told him the Platt Lane was horrendous to which he replied you're the first to tell me that , well I'm not one of your sodding sycophants
We really are so lucky to have the Etihad stadium aren’t we

Based on the clock end at Highbury if I recall correctly. Why model a new stand on one of the worst in the top flight. Shite capacity as well. As an aside does anyone know why we didn't fill in the corners properly when building the Kippax / Platt Lane?
the houses were too close would never have got planning permission

Unfortunately due to poor management Maine Road became a hotchpot of a ground, it reflected the way the club as a whole had been managed, on and off the pitch, from the early 70s to when we left. Its a shame because Maine Road in the 60s was one of the best grounds in my mind, but its development was shambolic.

Unfortunately due to poor management Maine Road became a hotchpot of a ground, it reflected the way the club as a whole had been managed, on and off the pitch, from the early 70s to when we left. Its a shame because Maine Road in the 60s was one of the best grounds in my mind, but its development was shambolic.

Yep all down to Swales a megalomaniac of self importance how he treated Paul Lake was a fcuking disgrace.

No building the Swales monstrosity of the Platt Lane stand did that Although the new Kippax Stand, built under Lee was a good capacity it was all seated so it had an effect but no where near the Platt Lane. Swales wanted to take the Platt Lane stand around into the Kippax, I know that for a fact because he told me in person. I told him the Platt Lane was horrendous to which he replied you're the first to tell me that , well I'm not one of your sodding sycophants
Wasn’t Swales weirdly obsessed with keeping the capacity to a minimum? He didn’t want to do anything with the Kippax either, other than just add seats to what was already there and reduce the capacity of the whole ground to 20-odd-thousand.

Last edited:
A tough ask.

Has anyone got any pictures of the back of the Kippax stand, behind the turnstiles and the brick walls?

The steps to Kippax entrances and exits were pretty steep. You could walk up the grass embankments either side of the steps. Directly at the top of the steps, and behind the back of the a Kippax, was concrete paving, which you could stand on or sit on. City fans and away fans were separated by metal railings, which allowed you to see, speak to, and abuse each other. The large metal gate at the end of the metal railings was forced open a few times and it kicked off. The crowd surge coming down the steps and getting out of the Kippax gates after the final whistle was insane. Looking back it was pretty dangerous. But that’s how it was then. And at the time it seemed nothing more than a right laugh.

Any pictures posted would be greatly apprecrated, just to bring back some great memories.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.