Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

No building the Swales monstrosity of the Platt Lane stand did that Although the new Kippax Stand, built under Lee was a good capacity it was all seated so it had an effect but no where near the Platt Lane. Swales wanted to take the Platt Lane stand around into the Kippax, I know that for a fact because he told me in person. I told him the Platt Lane was horrendous to which he replied you're the first to tell me that , well I'm not one of your sodding sycophants
Nothing sums up the cheap, small time, tinpot shyster reign of Peter Swales more than the Platt Lane stand redevelopment. A depressing but utterly characteristic lack of basic competence, vision and ambition

A tough ask.

Has anyone got any pictures of the back of the Kippax stand, behind the turnstiles and the brick walls?

The steps to Kippax entrances and exits were pretty steep. You could walk up the grass embankments either side of the steps. Directly at the top of the steps, and behind the back of the a Kippax, was concrete paving, which you could stand on or sit on. City fans and away fans were separated by metal railings, which allowed you to see, speak to, and abuse each other. The large metal gate at the end of the metal railings was forced open a few times and it kicked off. The crowd surge coming down the steps and getting out of the Kippax gates after the final whistle was insane. Looking back it was pretty dangerous. But that’s how it was then. And at the time it seemed nothing more than a right laugh.

Any pictures posted would be greatly apprecrated, just to bring back some great memories.
F8CD5AA6-F81C-4386-A61A-A8C0E5076B4F.jpeg5B90E531-7F8F-4092-B78A-89D7F196CC2F.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C3A38DB-2B52-4403-BC52-9286DB7CEC65.jpeg
    4C3A38DB-2B52-4403-BC52-9286DB7CEC65.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 85
There wasn’t room for a new Kippax sized corner at the Platt Lane end and at the north end the views in the upper tiers would have been obstructed by the North Stand roof.

View attachment 10716
It always cost more per seat to do corners. Cheap grounds are always 4 stands with straight lines everywhere.

The new kippax was big but it was a classic cheap box of a stand. Platt lane was cheap, smaller and had one of the corners done. I guess you take your pick for the look of a stand that wraps round the corner or just go bigger and forget the corners.

It always cost more per seat to do corners. Cheap grounds are always 4 stands with straight lines everywhere.

The new kippax was big but it was a classic cheap box of a stand. Platt lane was cheap, smaller and had one of the corners done. I guess you take your pick for the look of a stand that wraps round the corner or just go bigger and forget the corners.
City got lots of complaints once the stand was complete as residents couldn't get Tv reception, there were also some about the light being blocked so there was no chance of the the Kippax / Platt Lane corner being completed

City got lots of complaints once the stand was complete as residents couldn't get Tv reception, there were also some about the light being blocked so there was no chance of the the Kippax / Platt Lane corner being completed
The more you read stuff like this the more you realise it was inevitable we were going to leave.

The club spent a fortune on new TV aerials for the locals on Thornton Rd. This put paid to any further developments

Cheers Levets. This is the 80's with the paving. An attempt to keep people from the rubble ammunition underneath.
Exactly right. They also closed the end stairway and reconfigured the middle one to control/slow the speed of exit.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.