Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Went to the stadium today. Felt good to be back inside the Etihad. Looked a little tired. Needs a lick of paint, and a very good clean.

Got some pictures of the arena site.
Nothing too exciting. Similar to last time.
Earth moving. Piling. Mobile crane. Workmen on-site. Usual stuff at this stage of the build. Will post the pictures tomorrow.

New electrionic LED advertising screens are being installed. A small square section of seating has been removed from East stand, level 1. Didn’t get any pictures.

A little something for those of us who park around the old Mather and Platt site. More wagons to navigate on a matchday and that's before the Princes site gets redeveloped opposite

Last edited:
Up a the ground for my jab today and noticed they're laying an exit to the carpark up near the fire station junction. I thought they'd given up on that with the chaos last time.

CFG are not short on ambition. The Campus and mini Etihad showed vision, not least by reclaiming contaminated land adjacent to the stadium rather than the usual practice of moving to a green field site.

Expansion of the Etihad South Stand to increase capacity appeared to be a template for the North Stand with cheerleaders like me saying build it and they will come and naysayers claiming it is not needed as will not be filled.

I now think both sides are wrong. The stadium and surrounding area may appear run down but major transformation is under way with the new arena as the trigger to attract visitors to the collar site on a daily basis.

10 years of success with more to come, has established Manchester City as one of the elite football clubs in the world. No worries about attracting supporters as we have already captured a global set of new fans. The same in Manchester and the UK with kids only remembering the good times, with City as a top club.

Success brings its own rewards. City has always been a big club by any measure but financially we have become a monster. No doubt in my mind that the plans for the Etihad stadium and collar site are way beyond my comprehension to see City see revenues go up to another level.

Much revolves around the outcome after Covid and the Arena but I can envisage a spectacular stadium upgrade and total revamp of the City Store/Square area to include other areas like Joe Mercer Way. A Box Park indoor style event area, with drink and food courts, becomes a reality. Hospitality to include markets and hotels? Exhibitions and conferences? It is all about a longer term view. ADUG spoke of a 20 year plan when they took over City. We are just over halfway through.

Pure speculation but our owners are not in it to be second best in any respect.

CFG are not short on ambition. The Campus and mini Etihad showed vision, not least by reclaiming contaminated land adjacent to the stadium rather than the usual practice of moving to a green field site.

Expansion of the Etihad South Stand to increase capacity appeared to be a template for the North Stand with cheerleaders like me saying build it and they will come and naysayers claiming it is not needed as will not be filled.

I now think both sides are wrong. The stadium and surrounding area may appear run down but major transformation is under way with the new arena as the trigger to attract visitors to the collar site on a daily basis.

10 years of success with more to come, has established Manchester City as one of the elite football clubs in the world. No worries about attracting supporters as we have already captured a global set of new fans. The same in Manchester and the UK with kids only remembering the good times, with City as a top club.

Success brings its own rewards. City has always been a big club by any measure but financially we have become a monster. No doubt in my mind that the plans for the Etihad stadium and collar site are way beyond my comprehension to see City see revenues go up to another level.

Much revolves around the outcome after Covid and the Arena but I can envisage a spectacular stadium upgrade and total revamp of the City Store/Square area to include other areas like Joe Mercer Way. A Box Park indoor style event area, with drink and food courts, becomes a reality. Hospitality to include markets and hotels? Exhibitions and conferences? It is all about a longer term view. ADUG spoke of a 20 year plan when they took over City. We are just over halfway through.

Pure speculation but our owners are not in it to be second best in any respect.

I think your last paragraph is spot on with the extension of the third tier being incorporated into a massive side-of-the-stadium project of an indoor city square with bars, shops, tram stop and access to the stand. This will be flow from the stadium to joe mercer way and be a 1 stop shop for the match experience.

They have tweaked city square so much over the years that they need to start again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.