Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It's strange how this idea of "not having a big stadiums unless you can full it" as come from ?
Never seemed a problem in the 1980's, and has you've said , it's not a problem for Real Madrid or Barcelona !
I alway's wonder what size stadium we would of filled for the QPR game back in 2012 ?

Maybe in your block. Not in mine. Always full. And if you put your seasoncard on ticket exchange it gets sold straight away.

The test is what happens when the away fans don't take up their allocation...which they rarely do. How come almost always those away fans seats are sold to City? That shows you there is demand.

Maybe you have some peculiar problem with fans in your block, or you are looking at the corporate blocks which are rarely full. That is an issue. But that's the same at every ground.
That's my experience as well in East Stand Upper. It is full for all PL and CL matches apart from the odd seat. But you can often see gaps in the corporate areas and the family stand for midweek games.
I don't think there is any difference for most other clubs.
I have seen areas of empty seats in the top tier at Old Trafford for recent Derby matches, especially the cup ties. Presumably these are tourists who don't turn up.
The only totally full stadiums are those with small capacities like Watford, Bournemouth etc. I have seen plenty of gaps at Arsenal and West Ham when we have played there.

We just need to get it built, we had an 80,000+ stadium when we moved to Maine Road, it was the Wembley of the north was anyone bothered how many turned up, no, the crowd went up and it went down, what we should all want is the biggest and the best for our club, so it needs expanding as planned, and more people will attend.
Yes we will fill the stadium for all the big games, but those new match going fans who turn up for the big games will more than likely start going to the lesser games if we are successfull, build it and they will come.

Covid + deferrals not renewing + Pep likely leaving in two years...I'm not sure expanding the stadium further is a good idea at all.

Even with the newly expanded south stand we're not anywhere near full on a lot of cup games / chumps league games.

Making it even bigger would just add fuel to the 'emptyhad' fire.
Nobody else is near full on a lot of cup games and CL group games (or even league games), doesn't seem to be stopping anybody else.

Do you really care if some random anonymous spotty teen with no girlfriend goes on Twitter and uses the #emptyhad jibe?

What feasibility studies?
What feasibility studies?
Do you seriously think an organisation commits tens of millions on stadium construction without a considered economic analysis on the project ?

The fact is it doesn’t make financial sense. If it did it would already be complete

People suggesting we will fill it if we reduce ticket prices just don’t get it. How many decades do they think it would take to pay for itself filling it with cheap tickets !!!

It would only make sense if predicted demand would fill it every week at full price AND there was sufficient demand for a corporate offering within it. There isn’t.

I’ll say it again for those that can’t get their head around why City are not expanding. We have just ripped out 1100 seats that cost a decent amount to put in just 3 years ago cause the economics of advertising and lack of seat demand didn’t add up to keep them.

City get excellent attendances and hopefully they will sort out the re-sale system to fill the empty seats at games. But we won’t be extending in the near future.

Do you seriously think an organisation commits tens of millions on stadium construction without a considered economic analysis on the project ?

The fact is it doesn’t make financial sense. If it did it would already be complete

People suggesting we will fill it if we reduce ticket prices just don’t get it. How many decades do they think it would take to pay for itself filling it with cheap tickets !!!

It would only make sense if predicted demand would fill it every week at full price AND there was sufficient demand for a corporate offering within it. There isn’t.

I’ll say it again for those that can’t get their head around why City are not expanding. We have just ripped out 1100 seats that cost a decent amount to put in just 3 years ago cause the economics of advertising and lack of seat demand didn’t add up to keep them.

City get excellent attendances and hopefully they will sort out the re-sale system to fill the empty seats at games. But we won’t be extending in the near future.
So, no feasibility studies then?

Maybe in your block. Not in mine. Always full. And if you put your seasoncard on ticket exchange it gets sold straight away.

The test is what happens when the away fans don't take up their allocation...which they rarely do. How come almost always those away fans seats are sold to City? That shows you there is demand.

Maybe you have some peculiar problem with fans in your block, or you are looking at the corporate blocks which are rarely full. That is an issue. But that's the same at every ground.
The away fans tickets sold to City fans are at the cheaper £30 IIRC, which shows there is demand if the pricing is correct.

Our average over the last few full seasons (pre-Covid) has been between 700-1000 below full capacity so surely they've just been relocated rather than removed? This is average so obviously the 'big' games will be around a 1,000 down. Some of those 'empty seats' will also be away fans.

I'd be surprised if there were 1000 empty seats at the big games. The lessser games and the midweek games maybe. Many of those empty seats for the lesser and midweek games were probably sold, but fans couldn't be arsed turning up.

I still can't understand how adding an extra advertising board, showing the same add on a larger double advertiising board, can bring in more revnue than 1000 extra supporters per home game.

Disclaimer. 1000 supporters. It's probably less, but nobody knows the exact amount of seats taken out.

The missing fans aside. It has moved the fans further back from the pitch and the players, which will impact on the general intimidating atmosphere of the Etihad.

In essence City have created 3 front rows of no man's land with only stewards allowed on it.

1624654232930.jpeg

Look how far back the fans will be from the pitch, the action, and the players.

1624654394277.jpeg

Last edited:
Why do we continually get crowds of 50,000+ when City are drawn at home for FA Cup 3rd, 4th, and 5th round games? Because the tickets are affordable. Because tickets are affordable the demand for tickets is there.

As we've been posting for the last 10 years. Expand the stadium, make season tickets and match day tickets more affordable, and we will fill the stadium. And in doing so we will sell more drinks, food, and merchandise, which will cover the cost of lower match ticket prices.

We're now at a point where we've maxed out on hospitality inside the stadium. We've maxed out on electronic advertising boards. Maybe there's another row of electronic advertising boards to go on level 3? You can never say we've maxed out on season ticket and matchday ticket prices because they will continue to go up.(as a rule) So what's left? The Etihad Campus, the COOP Live Arena, the Collar site, and one final expansion of the Etihad Stadium.(North Stand)

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.