Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It’s not happening.

It would be madness to put another 6000 seats which would not be used for many games. The feasibility studies say no - it’s why it hasnt

Others on this thread seem to be ignoring that the club have literally just ripped out 1100 seats that were only put in 3 seasons ago.

53000 will be a sufficient capacity for the next decade. If it’s sufficient now during the Pep years - it will certainly be more of than sufficient in the post Pep years.

This thread should focus on the Arena and connected hospitality developments which are gonna be fantastic
What feasibility studies?

Showing my age… I remember some bloke giving Swales a kicking at the AGM re the North Stand Scoreboard and Swales fobbing him off saying the manufacture had gone bust and it couldn’t be repaired… fast forward 12 months and the same bloke furnished Swales with full details of the manufacturer- which contrary to Swales claims was not bust and was very much still in business… Swales was obviously unmoved by the fact he’d been exposed yet again as a pathological liar and as you’d know the North Stand Scoreboard never worked (although I think Swales did promise to look into a repair) - then again in the latter Swales era who’d want to be reminded of the score.
In my day the North Stand scoreboard was some old guy putting up numbers on the end of a stick. You could check in your programme to see which games the scores referred to.

In my day the North Stand scoreboard was some old guy putting up numbers on the end of a stick. You could check in your programme to see which games the scores referred to.
In those days you needed to buy a programme for the token inside, that you had to stick to a sheet in order to get tickets for the big cup matches, etc. That, and the front cover of the away match programme. I've many an old programme up in a box in my loft defaced in that way.

It’s not happening.

It would be madness to put another 6000 seats which would not be used for many games. The feasibility studies say no - it’s why it hasnt

Others on this thread seem to be ignoring that the club have literally just ripped out 1100 seats that were only put in 3 seasons ago.

53000 will be a sufficient capacity for the next decade. If it’s sufficient now during the Pep years - it will certainly be more of than sufficient in the post Pep years.

This thread should focus on the Arena and connected hospitality developments which are gonna be fantastic
We’re close to or at capacity for almost all of our home league games.
We have no problem selling our season tickets and there are many wanting season tickets who miss out each season.
Priced reasonably, we’d have no problem adding 6k to our league games, especially the biggest games.
Haven’t seen any feasibility study you refer to ?

We have no problem selling our season tickets and there are many wanting season tickets who miss out each season.
Priced reasonably, we’d have no problem adding 6k to our league games, especially the biggest games.
I was just thinking about the knock on effect of this. I want to buy an extra seasoncard for my son but am finding it hard to get one next to, or near, the two of us. There was a seat next to us before Covid but it didn't show as available to move to this week so might have been taken now (Value Gold maybe). This stops me joining the cup schemes for the existing two because we find it easier to pick up three seats in other parts of the stadium rather than buy the third then ring up to re-locate, but of course sometimes we just don't bother, especially as we're paying for the games on telly as well. It's also a hassle trying to get 3 seats together for ad-hoc league games when buying the third via Cityzens.

It's a pity I couldn't register my interest in that seat to stop it going Value Gold (if that's the reason) because the club could have sold it at full price and got commitment from the three of us for the cup games. I bet there's loads of stories like this around the ground. They need to get it expanded.

I suspect they may only exist in his head.

Yes, I’d forgotten that… next to A they used to slide two numbers in say 21 and a quick check in the programme if you didn’t have your Enigma machine with you - told you it was 2 1 to Arsenal against West Brom. I used to buy the Pink as I left the ground with the scores… only to get home and find that half of them had late goals… so the bloody Rags hadn’t lost after all.

Covid + deferrals not renewing + Pep likely leaving in two years...I'm not sure expanding the stadium further is a good idea at all.

Even with the newly expanded south stand we're not anywhere near full on a lot of cup games / chumps league games.

Making it even bigger would just add fuel to the 'emptyhad' fire.

In those days you needed to buy a programme for the token inside, that you had to stick to a sheet in order to get tickets for the big cup matches, etc. That, and the front cover of the away match programme. I've many an old programme up in a box in my loft defaced in that way.
The exception to having to buy a programme was for reserve matches. They originally sold the one leaf reserve match team sheet for one (old) penny including a token. The club discovered that some were buying large numbers of the team sheets and passing them on to their mates. So they stopped selling the team sheets and gave them out as you passed through the turnstile.

The other issue that cropped up at United was that at away matches, where programmes were sold outside of the stadium, it was not unknown for the programme sellers to be mugged and relieved of their stock. I think United stopped using away match front covers for ticket allocation in response.

I used to fill up the voucher sheet every season but never got to use it until 1969 and 1970. I had a season ticket by 1974 for the next Wembley final so didn’t bother to collect the vouchers any more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.