Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I think it’s the right decision.

The demand clearly isn’t there right now for another 6-8k seats. If the demand isn’t there now with Pep and this current team then it won’t be there when we drop off a bit under our next manager. Covid, ticketing policies and prices aren’t really helping the situation much either.

The demand for 60k+ will come in the future when all the kids who support City growing up around the country (and the world) get to the age where they want to start coming to games. Like Utd and Liverpool we’ll have hundreds if not thousands of fans coming up from down south. It just takes a couple of decades of sustained success to build that level of support and for the kids watching it to become old enough to travel.

I'm not up to speed on safe standing and what impact that may have on the present capacity?

As you say, they also need to get the ticketing and pricing structure right, because that's what keeping even dyed-in-the-wool away from some games at present, added to improving the surrounding transport options.

Better to spend £10m on another Metro stop and some exclusive shuttle buses, than spend £85m right now on another 8k seats.

I'm not up to speed on safe standing and what impact that may have on the present capacity?

As you say, they also need to get the ticketing and pricing structure right, because that's what keeping even dyed-in-the-wool away from some games at present, added to improving the surrounding transport options.

Better to spend £10m on another Metro stop and some exclusive shuttle buses, than spend £85m right now on another 8k seats.

My understanding as things are right now is that standing will only be allowed on a ratio of one person per ‘seat’, so would not lead to an increase in capacity.

I suspect that if safe standing goes well over a period of time then the clubs will ask if they can move towards a ratio of 1.5 people per ‘seat’, which I think is similar to what they have in Germany.

That would mean if we had 6k standing ‘seats’ behind both goals then we could bring in another 3k at each end, bringing domestic capacity up by 6k - and thus meaning that we wouldn’t actually need to develop a new expansion.

The metrolink service to Ashton after a game is absolutely appalling most of the time.

No additional trams are put on and they stick to the usual timetable which can be an absolute killer after a night game.

Not only that but they will send single units rather than doubles as well.

It means that you can be waiting quite a while after a game and the build up of people combined with a single unit means things can get dangerous.

Ive personally been on a tram where so many people got on after me that I was struggling to catch my breath, and I’ve seen kids struggling as well.

Not what I would call a great service.
Not only the tram service. Last 2 night games there have been no buses and I’ve had to walk 2 miles to get home.
Bizarre that there’s dozens of buses lined up to go to town but nothing going the other way.

My understanding as things are right now is that standing will only be allowed on a ratio of one person per ‘seat’, so would not lead to an increase in capacity.

I suspect that if safe standing goes well over a period of time then the clubs will ask if they can move towards a ratio of 1.5 people per ‘seat’, which I think is similar to what they have in Germany.

That would mean if we had 6k standing ‘seats’ behind both goals then we could bring in another 3k at each end, bringing domestic capacity up by 6k - and thus meaning that we wouldn’t actually need to develop a new expansion.

That would explain a lot, as I was told the club felt safe standing would be more cost-effective in the long run.

An extra 6k would take the Etihad to around 58,000 and if they really had the demand, they could always put back the 2500 seats taken away this summer for the hoardings.

Pennies in comparison.

Was told the roof was a priority.

We won't be getting an increased capacity stadium - perhaps not ever now. A decision has been made the addition of further safe standing areas, to include the North Stand lower, coupled with improving the facade of the stadium and surrounding footprint is where the money needs to be right now.

The suits feel the addition of CO-OP Live will drive profits much more and quicker, than a ROR on adding another 8,000 seats.
Thanks tolmie I’m now depressed and the weekend is only just starting. :-(

I think it’s the right decision.

The demand clearly isn’t there right now for another 6-8k seats. If the demand isn’t there now with Pep and this current team then it won’t be there when we drop off a bit under our next manager. Covid, ticketing policies and prices aren’t really helping the situation much either.

The demand for 60k+ will come in the future when all the kids who support City growing up around the country (and the world) get to the age where they want to start coming to games. Like Utd and Liverpool we’ll have hundreds if not thousands of fans coming up from down south. It just takes a couple of decades of sustained success to build that level of support and for the kids watching it to become old enough to travel.
I understand your thinking on this but may I add that the same was said when we we’re about to increase the capacity last time and that didn’t turn out too shoddy. We definitely need to build the other end of the ground and I guarantee it will be filled( not all matches granted).when our rivals are increasing their capacity to over 60000 we will look a little bit small time.

We won't be getting an increased capacity stadium - perhaps not ever now. A decision has been made the addition of further safe standing areas, to include the North Stand lower, coupled with improving the facade of the stadium and surrounding footprint is where the money needs to be right now.

The suits feel the addition of CO-OP Live will drive profits much more and quicker, than a ROR on adding another 8,000 seats.

Definitely better

Concentrate on getting it full and the facilities better

I understand your thinking on this but may I add that the same was said when we we’re about to increase the capacity last time and that didn’t turn out too shoddy. We definitely need to build the other end of the ground and I guarantee it will be filled( not all matches granted).when our rivals are increasing their capacity to over 60000 we will look a little bit small time.

When the South Stand was built we were selling out every league game with a surplus demand for 6k+ extra tickets.

When we sell out the expanded stadium there isn’t a demand for thousands more tickets after the current capacity is met apart from the really big games.

We also lost around 2k seats in the summer and haven’t sold out a couple of league games even at a reduced capacity.

We’re actually losing fans coming to games rather than gaining them at the moment due to Covid, pricing, ticket policies and fans jacking it in for other reasons as well.

That would explain a lot, as I was told the club felt safe standing would be more cost-effective in the long run.

An extra 6k would take the Etihad to around 58,000 and if they really had the demand, they could always put back the 2500 seats taken away this summer for the hoardings.

Pennies in comparison.

Was told the roof was a priority.
Bit of a shame about an extension but can see the logic in their thinking.

I was going to mention the roof myself, it's coming to the end of it's useful life isn't it?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.