Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

It seems absurd that the council would reject applications. The area is crying out for decent pubs and eating places. Not everyone wants beer in a cardboard cup.

They were apparently their usual bullshitting selves in their reasoning. But the way she and her colleagues read it, they would be happy to have NO pubs around the stadium. They prefer us plebs to be in the ground, and therefore out of their 'problem'. Or in one general area, ie the city centre.

This was ten years or more ago, with the expansion of what we see as the city centre, it seems pointless now. Who knows, maybe they would view applications more favourably nowadays? The arena might make a difference?

They were apparently their usual bullshitting selves in their reasoning. But the way she and her colleagues read it, they would be happy to have NO pubs around the stadium. They prefer us plebs to be in the ground, and therefore out of their 'problem'. Or in one general area, ie the city centre.

This was ten years or more ago, with the expansion of what we see as the city centre, it seems pointless now. Who knows, maybe they would view applications more favourably nowadays? The arena might make a difference?
I have a feeling that 10, 20 years from now we will hear that MCC's planning dept was found to be in the back pockets of developers. Makes you wonder if the lack of planning approvals for pubs in the area is to placate the Developers and keep the brown envelopes coming *

*Legally, this is a viewpoint, not a statement of fact.

It seems absurd that the council would reject applications. The area is crying out for decent pubs and eating places. Not everyone wants beer in a cardboard cup.
I don't think the area is crying out for decent pubs right now. There are quite a few pubs that have closed over the past decade. I agree there might be more demand once co-op live opens. Where the Mitchell Arms was would be a perfect place for people walking back into Manchester. It just couldn't sustain itself on 25 events a year, but with 200+ events it would be a great time to re-open.

I have a feeling that 10, 20 years from now we will hear that MCC's planning dept was found to be in the back pockets of developers. Makes you wonder if the lack of planning approvals for pubs in the area is to placate the Developers and keep the brown envelopes coming *

*Legally, this is a viewpoint, not a statement of fact.
I don't know. I think pubs, on the whole, are outdated. Compare what pubs were like 50 years ago to today. Now think what they'll be like in another 50 years.

The purpose they served historically (mainly community) has been replaced with social media and the entertainment they bring doesn't appeal to younger people who're also more likely to be teetotal than previous generations.

I love going to the pub, but I think the existing stock we have will be more than suitable for the coming decades.

I'm not, but if I was interested in moving closer to the stadium, I'd rather see nice restaurants and cafes than a pub.

I am sure that our new indoor arena will be fantastic in many ways. Yes we can be pretty sure of high prices for food and drink.

Maybe we could take a lesson or 2 from the Leeds arena where a new, big Wetherspoons had opened a minute away.

I remember the wetherspoons rumours.

Honestly only 2/3 pubs I know now open that are near the ground

You'd have thought certain people who have been in charge of City for a decade would have learnt by now. No?

But when you've got the 2 guys at the top, Khaldoon and Soriano, demanding an across the board increase in matchday revenues, the Directors below them, and the Mangers below them, have to do what they're told and find ways of increasing matchday revenues, even if that's unpopular amongst City's fan base.

Brugges was a prime example of the increase in attendance for the match when you get the ticket pricing right.

I accept the club doesn't have to look at lowering ticket prices for games like PSG, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, etc, as City fans will always pay what the have to watch those matches.
I agree the attendance was good - in the north stand we get an awful lot of schools weirdly from Glasgow. Some of them even singing Celtic songs and cheering Brugges - I kid you not!

It has a hint of brutalism about it. Not the most aesthetically pleasing style but an extremely space effective one.

I really find it quite hard to believe that grown men are whinging about a building "potentially" being matt grey.

Oh the humanity! Not matt grey!! Won't somebody think of the children!
Is Rimmer painting it

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.