Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Hope I’m still around when the stadium is completely finished. I’ve a feeling it will look spectacular with the new north stand in place and the corners filled in which would I think give us a capacity of at least 70,000. Also a new facade wrap around the whole stadium. One could but dream.
I’ll be massively underwhelmed if the North Stand just ends up with the same three tiers as there are at the South Stand end. What a waste and missed opportunity to build something great that would be!

I’ll be massively underwhelmed if the North Stand just ends up with the same three tiers as there are at the South Stand end. What a waste and missed opportunity to build something great that would be!

I agree but it seems from an engineering and logistics perspective it’s gonna be all but impossible- so we will end up with a stand that looks like the South Stand. The irony is of course that City built the North Stand after the Commonwealth Games - so we only have ourselves to blame in some ways…. but we were never going to build something like this back in 2003. I’m not particularly fussed about a single tier end but I am concerned about pricing, the location of corporate seats (slap in the middle of an end is just wrong) and I want us to seriously upgrade the whole campus - it’s starting to look like a bit tatty and worn out. Fingers crossed this becomes a focus and a priority after the Arena is completed.

I agree but it seems from an engineering and logistics perspective it’s gonna be all but impossible- so we will end up with a stand that looks like the South Stand. The irony is of course that City built the North Stand after the Commonwealth Games - so we only have ourselves to blame in some ways…. but we were never going to build something like this back in 2003. I’m not particularly fussed about a single tier end but I am concerned about pricing, the location of corporate seats (slap in the middle of an end is just wrong) and I want us to seriously upgrade the whole campus - it’s starting to look like a bit tatty and worn out. Fingers crossed this becomes a focus and a priority after the Arena is completed.

it just seems silly that the stadium overhaul gets done after the new arena is done? Surely it should be going alongside it and hitting things in one go? Plus the football will NEVER get better than under pep and we should be making hay while the sun shines as they say.

Almost nothing is impossible to build these days. Certainly not a stand at a football stadium. There is absolutely know reason why City, the architects, and a construction company can’t build a large single or expanded double stand. Building a stand or even a stadium is pretty bog standard. It’s only complicated buy the design, which increases the costs. You only have to look at the redevelopment of the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium as an example of that.

CGI video link under the screen grab

849-E40-B8-8916-4039-8-B25-152-A34-FA51-BC.jpg

Videos of the actual redevelopment and construction.

16433072189843.jpg

Real Madrid have reached a 360 million euro ($380.95 million) agreement with Sixth Street to develop new businesses at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

The Spanish champions said the partnership included Legends, a premium experiences company that caters to sports and live venue organisations. Sixth Street, which has more than $60bn of assets under management, has experience in infrastructure and sports. It has invested a majority stake in Legends.

The agreement, which the club said would allow for multiple events to be hosted at the stadium throughout the year, was ratified at a meeting of Madrid’s board.

“As part of the long-term partnership, Real Madrid will receive approximately €360m to be invested across any of the club’s activities,” Real Madrid said in a statement. “Through this alliance, Sixth Street acquires the right to participate in the operation of certain new businesses of the Santiago Bernabéu stadium for 20 years.

——

Real Madrid are using their new redeveloped stadium for events in partnership. City/CFG are using the new Coop Live Arena.

——-

The parties would not disclose the value of CFG’s investment but confirmed that it was now an equal partner in the £350m project with OVG.

“Co-op Live unlocks the potential for the Etihad Campus to grow as an entertainment destination that creates more reasons for the nation and world to visit Manchester,” said Marty Edelman, board director at City Football Group.

Last edited:
Almost nothing is impossible to build these days. Certainly not a stand at a football stadium. There is absolutely know reason why City, the architects, and the construction company can’t build a large single or expanded double stand. Building a stand or even a stadium is pretty bog standard. It’s only complicated buy the design, which increases the costs. You only have to look at the redevelopment of the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium as an example of that.

CGI video link under the screen grab

849-E40-B8-8916-4039-8-B25-152-A34-FA51-BC.jpg

Videos of the actual redevelopment and construction.

16433072189843.jpg

Real Madrid have reached a 360 million euro ($380.95 million) agreement with Sixth Street to develop new businesses at the Santiago Bernabeu stadium.

The Spanish champions said the partnership included Legends, a premium experiences company that caters to sports and live venue organisations. Sixth Street, which has more than $60bn of assets under management, has experience in infrastructure and sports. It has invested a majority stake in Legends.

The agreement, which the club said would allow for multiple events to be hosted at the stadium throughout the year, was ratified at a meeting of Madrid’s board.

“As part of the long-term partnership, Real Madrid will receive approximately €360m to be invested across any of the club’s activities,” Real Madrid said in a statement. “Through this alliance, Sixth Street acquires the right to participate in the operation of certain new businesses of the Santiago Bernabéu stadium for 20 years.
THis is a stunning development and shows we have to really push the boat out in developing the Etihad if we want to compete on and off the pitch with the best.

Almost nothing is impossible to build these days. Certainly not a stand at a football stadium. There is absolutely know reason why City, the architects, and a construction company can’t build a large single or expanded double stand.
It may be technically possible, but at what cost? If it doesn't make economic sense then it won't happen like that. As I understand it, an integral part of the structure of the stadium roof is the cable that runs around the inside. The South Stand extension was built to keep that in place but if you built a single tier then it would have to go and you would then have to fundamentally redesign the rest of the stadium to make sure it still stood up. Probably cheaper to build a whole new stadium.

It may be technically possible, but at what cost? If it doesn't make economic sense then it won't happen like that. As I understand it, an integral part of the structure of the stadium roof is the cable that runs around the inside. The South Stand extension was built to keep that in place but if you built a single tier then it would have to go and you would then have to fundamentally redesign the rest of the stadium to make sure it still stood up. Probably cheaper to build a whole new stadium.
The South was designed to fit in with the cable net system, but that was because they'd have had to replace the other three roof sections at the same time. Since they had future plans for at least the North stand that made it economically impossible.

I can't see them expanding the North stand and once again retaining the cable net system for just the E & W stands, which would also compromise the North stand design (similar to the South stand). I suspect that the E & W stands roofs will be changed to suit the ends with the corners blended in. Perhaps the E & W new roofs can be built over the existing ones with an eye on expanding them in the future (more corporate boxes?).

Almost nothing is impossible to build these days. Certainly not a stand at a football stadium. There is absolutely know reason why City, the architects, and the construction company can’t build a large single or expanded double stand. Building a stand or even a stadium is pretty bog standard. It’s only complicated buy the design, which increases the costs. You only have to look at the redevelopment of the Santiago Bernabéu Stadium as an example of that.
This. Football has been transformed even since the City takeover in 2008. It has become a huge business and still growing. Remember it was only 1989 when Michael Knighton offered £20m in his aborted bid to buy Manchester United. Now the accepted bid to buy Chelsea is reported as £4.25b

MCFC is the premium brand of CFG and City are now established as one of the best and most successful football clubs in the world with a fast growing global following. The Etihad is a good stadium but not iconic and lacking the capacity to be considered as a top international stadium. We need to be up there with Real Madrid, Spurs and others. Even Arsenal are looking at upgrades.

An increased capacity of at least 10,000 is required to put the stadium on the international venue map. To naysayers, it is essential that the number of match day tickets available is massively increased as part of the growth of MCFC that will come from visitors who will outspend locals.

The construction of the Arena will make the area a visitor destination with increased daily footfall. It makes sense to undertake a major redevelopment of the Etihad Stadium. The investment can be justified not as matchday ROI but as part of the development of the collar site as a destination and building the brand on the matchday experience.

It is not about piecemeal expansion like at Old Trafford. When I started watching City from the scoreboard end at Maine Road, the capacity was around 75,000. It quickly dropped to under 65,000 and then to just over 55,000 but plunged in the late 1980's. Average attendances in the period were in the range 20k's to low 40k's. Now the average attendance is over 50k.

I prefer the Etihad to Maine Road that had fallen way below standards and expectations of players and fans alike through lack of investment. There is an opportunity for a transformational development that can meet the expectations of legacy and visitor fans alike. I would like to see a massively extended North stand 2nd tier incorporating a revamped fans zone that could be linked to the Arena plus a big upgrade to the exterior and environs including transport and facilities.

The issue for me has become can City afford not to do it and risk falling behind competitors.

This. Football has been transformed even since the City takeover in 2008. It has become a huge business and still growing. Remember it was only 1989 when Michael Knighton offered £20m in his aborted bid to buy Manchester United. Now the accepted bid to buy Chelsea is reported as £4.25b

MCFC is the premium brand of CFG and City are now established as one of the best and most successful football clubs in the world with a fast growing global following. The Etihad is a good stadium but not iconic and lacking the capacity to be considered as a top international stadium. We need to be up there with Real Madrid, Spurs and others. Even Arsenal are looking at upgrades.

An increased capacity of at least 10,000 is required to put the stadium on the international venue map. To naysayers, it is essential that the number of match day tickets available is massively increased as part of the growth of MCFC that will come from visitors who will outspend locals.

The construction of the Arena will make the area a visitor destination with increased daily footfall. It makes sense to undertake a major redevelopment of the Etihad Stadium. The investment can be justified not as matchday ROI but as part of the development of the collar site as a destination and building the brand on the matchday experience.

It is not about piecemeal expansion like at Old Trafford. When I started watching City from the scoreboard end at Maine Road, the capacity was around 75,000. It quickly dropped to under 65,000 and then to just over 55,000 but plunged in the late 1980's. Average attendances in the period were in the range 20k's to low 40k's. Now the average attendance is over 50k.

I prefer the Etihad to Maine Road that had fallen way below standards and expectations of players and fans alike through lack of investment. There is an opportunity for a transformational development that can meet the expectations of legacy and visitor fans alike. I would like to see a massively extended North stand 2nd tier incorporating a revamped fans zone that could be linked to the Arena plus a big upgrade to the exterior and environs including transport and facilities.

The issue for me has become can City afford not to do it and risk falling behind competitors.

great post mate and when you see spurs having that amazing new stadium and the dippers expanding again then we need to keep investing in the etihad to keep ahead of them not only on the pitch but of it as well? A north stand expansion, corners filled in and a LED exterior wrap around the stadium would certainly boost the profile of the stadium and qualify for european finals etc?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.