Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

You used to be able to get from south stand (L2) all around the ground to the east (the long way, not thru the away fans), but they stopped that years back from memory. When they extended the south stand i think. Unless theres a fire escape i dont think you can get from SS L2 to L1 easily
Nice one mate! Yeah I think some hospitality is why it blocked the route all the way round! Nevermind! Will get a cup ticket in southstand lower to check it out

I don’t get why they have kept the athletics track at the London stadium. How many times will the Olympics come back to these shores and the world athletics championships? Hardly worth keeping a 60,000 seater facility ticking over just incase that happens.
Sheffield built the Don Valley Stadium fir the World Student games. It never found a subsequent use despite hosting rugby league, football, etc. It has been demolished.

Edinburgh built Meadowbank for the 1970 Commonwealth Games. It was used for football and other sports. The only time is ever was properly used for for the 1986 Commonwealth Games. It was largely demolished recently and replaced by a much smaller facility.

Glasgow declined to build a stadium for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and instead adapted Hampden Park by putting in a false floor to fit a track around the playing area. It was removed after the games.

A massive athletics stadium was always going to fail and Seb Coe’s vision would certainly have flopped even in the scaled down form. Multi-purpose arenas often fail unless the design is very good and satisfy no one.

The current London Stadium certainly is a mess.

Sheffield built the Don Valley Stadium fir the World Student games. It never found a subsequent use despite hosting rugby league, football, etc. It has been demolished.

Edinburgh built Meadowbank for the 1970 Commonwealth Games. It was used for football and other sports. The only time is ever was properly used for for the 1986 Commonwealth Games. It was largely demolished recently and replaced by a much smaller facility.

Glasgow declined to build a stadium for the 2014 Commonwealth Games and instead adapted Hampden Park by putting in a false floor to fit a track around the playing area. It was removed after the games.

A massive athletics stadium was always going to fail and Seb Coe’s vision would certainly have flopped even in the scaled down form. Multi-purpose arenas often fail unless the design is very good and satisfy no one.

The current London Stadium certainly is a mess.
Given the record on Edinburgh and Sheffield, and how well Manchester did it, there was really no excuse for how badly the London Stadium played out. I suppose that’s what happens when you add a load of egos to a bottomless pit of public money.

Given the record on Edinburgh and Sheffield, and how well Manchester did it, there was really no excuse for how badly the London Stadium played out. I suppose that’s what happens when you add a load of egos to a bottomless pit of public money.

Just like Wembley Stadium, which the fans are still paying for by being forced to go there for the FA Cup semi- finals.

This is true. They had a template with the Manchester Commonwealth Stadium of how to make it work, but unfortunately arseholes like David Conn whinged dismally about private interests benefitting excessively from the public money spent on the stadium.

As a result, Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell and London Mayor Ken Livingstone took a decision that the stadium would be scaled back and retain the track. This was entirely a political consideration aimed at ensuring that a wealthy Premier League club wouldn't move in. They complacently assumed that they'd be able to rent the venue in winter to Leyton Orient or maybe one of the London rugby clubs only to discover that, just like the bigger football clubs, these outfits had no desire to play at a stadium with a track, either.

I confess to loathing Boris Johnson, but when he became London Mayor he quite correctly identified the proposed legacy of the main Olympic venue as a joke. He alighted on the wrong solution, however. Spending north of GBP 300 million to convert a venue so West Ham could take it on a 99-year lease at an annual rent of GBP 2 million was a really poor deal for London's council taxpayers. It should have been knocked down after the Games and rebuilt, as Spurs proposed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.