Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Although the way I feel about it right now echoes Elvis Costello in Oliver's Army, I live in St Petersburg, Russia, The new stadium here, built to host the final of the Confederations Cup in 2017 and World Cup games including the semi-final in 2018, has a retractable roof and it's brilliant.

The weather here for half the year is like Manchester, while for the other half it can be snowy and freezing, while at the height of winter it can get down to -30C. I've been in the stadium in swirling gale and pouring rain that would get blown right in your face throughout most of the stadium if the roof were closed and you couldn't even tell what the weather was doing outside. I've been in there when it was -20C outside and it was +17C inside.

I'd love a revamped Etihad to have a retractable roof. No chance of it happening, apart from anything else because I don't think the PL allows games to be played with a closed roof anyway, but it would be superb IMO and steal a march on other British stadiums apart from Cardiff.

I agree that conferencing seems a great way to stimulate daily use of the site. I remember being told way back that they were looking at something along the lines of the Abd Dhabi National Exhibition Centre and thinking it sounded as though it absolutely fitted the bill for what we needed. Nothing has come of it so far, but maybe the Arena can help to stimulate development.

Something like that is a no-brainer for me. Flexible space that can put on business events and also other exhibitions would really pull people to the area. The Excel in London is full of restaurants/cafe's and conference facilities whilst it also has the Jurassic World event on at the moment which was initially going to be for 3 months or so but has been extended further because of its popularity. I think it's open 7 days a week and is pretty much sold out every day so it's pulling in huge numbers. Birmingham's NEC is far enough away for there to be a premium offering in Manchester and attract people every day of the week. Transport simply has to be improved though.

Birmingham has a centrally located Conference and Events Centre.

I was thinking much bigger than that! The Abu Dhabi link Petrusha posted, or the Excel in London would be more comparable. Multi-use space offering options for corporate events, seminar's etc plus space for bespoke exhibitions. Jurassic World, some sort of low-key motor racing event, market/fairs for Christmas, food festivals etc.

That’s it!

I’d even go as far as joining the lower 2nd tier sides infront of the mental roof supports to the CBS and ES, which would give extra seats, if that was possible?

Imagine the noise that stand would create with the singing section below it in L1 or preferably across the back of L2.
Probably fuck all as it will have the same people in it that it does now, the build of the stand doesn't seem to be a issue when it's full of fans from the lower league in a cup game for example who manage to make enough noise to fill the stadium in the current design

That’s it!

I’d even go as far as joining the lower 2nd tier sides infront of the mental roof supports to the CBS and ES, which would give extra seats, if that was possible?

Imagine the noise that stand would create with the singing section below it in L1 or preferably across the back of L2.

The cable net comes in through the corner so they can’t join up the third tiers. The third tiers at the sides are at a different angle as well to the South Stand third tier so what might be the same with this next expansion.

If they decided to do a non-temporary set of corners though (unlike at the South Stand end), then they could actually extend the CB and ES third tiers round a bit more than they did at the other end.

I guess how they do the corners with the new stand will tell us what the plans are for the sides in future.

Again slightly off topic, but tying in with ideas for the Collar site and the wider Etihad Campus around the ground.

Demolition is about to begin on Event City, Trafford City, to be replaced by Therme Manchester.

The word iconic is banded about quite often for a building or for a development, but I think it’s fair to say Manchester Therme will be iconic. There’s nothing else like it in the UK, and people will travel to it from all over the country. Apart from that, it’s a stunning building and development. As a leisure attraction it would have been perfect for the Collar site wrapping around the Etihad.

The start of construction was delayed for a year. During that period of
time parts of the approved design were reviewed and tweaked by Therme. The resort will now feature living slides.

The waterslides are part of the resort's focus on biophilic design and will feature 3D-printed structures housing thousands of biodiverse plants.

Thanks to their design, the slides will be made to look like tree trunks, with plants growing out of them.

D7-BECCBD-AA6-A-4868-8805-A539567-B7719.jpg

FE2-D64-E2-0-DC4-4-C78-977-D-8-DD291-CEFB62.jpg

1667490901987.jpeg

Probably fuck all as it will have the same people in it that it does now, the build of the stand doesn't seem to be a issue when it's full of fans from the lower league in a cup game for example who manage to make enough noise to fill the stadium in the current design

1000 singers at the back of the 2nd tier will get the rest of the 2nd tier going, which will hopefully get the rest of the ground going? Hopefully? :-)

PS. That’s where consultation with the fans comes in, including official and unofficial fan groups.

Last edited:
1000 singers at the back of the 2nd tier will get the rest of the 2nd tier going, which will hopefully get the rest of the ground going? Hopefully? :-)

PS. That’s where consultation with the fans comes in, including official and unofficial fan groups.

You'd like to think so if they market it right. If you had the family stand in tier 1 and ignored safe standing for now it would offer the chance for the next group of fans coming through to move into the second tier and join the singers. I remember as a kid wanting to join in with the hardcore singers - that was a huge part of football because what was happening on the pitch was shite!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.