Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

I only just noticed last night that the club have to scramble the white & blue seats around in the north and south stands to hide the word Etihad and the Puma logo for CL games. What a palaver.
Christ really ? Another reason to despise that shitty competition.

Why don’t all the clubs whose sponsorship arrangements fall foul of UEFA’s petty regulations just say fuck you Ceferin, we have contracts with x,y and z and we’re contractually obliged to do certain things and if you don’t like it you can exclude us and grant 13th place Augsburg and 14th place Bournemouth and 15th place Genoa etc etc entry to your shitty “Champions” league and see how the paying customer likes that.

Could they not build the expanded 2nd tier with the North Stand still open then when the season ends join them together then elevate the first tier?

Liverpool is doing something like this with their Anfield Road end

They’re not doing anything with the lower tier I don’t think. They’re just building a new second tier. It’s almost the same job we’d do if we go with the second tier option.

Elevating the first tier is a huge job and would take almost another year. They’d have to dig out the current lower tier and then put all the foundation, steel supports and new terracing in for it to match up with the upper section. This would involve the corners as well so that the steeper lower section doesn’t ruin sight line.

I think that's just due to the timing more than anything. Covid will have killed the revenues. Even with the arena though you're looking at 2-3 events a week and it's not a 24/7 destination. Any hotel should provide a state-of-the-art conference/convention centre so it attracts big businesses to come and use the facilities. They can stay in the hotel and they can go corporate to the football games. Arsenal and Spurs will have loads of boxes sold on company credit cards for entertaining. There's more going on near the swamp with Salford Quays there and the cricket ground - with a very good hotel that probably sells out first. And there's a lot of tourists at the swamp which we know. To attract more revenue at the football you need to try and attract more businesses with the big company money out to that part of Manchester and that's one way that could do it.

Yes, the loss or most of the loss was due to Covid and the lockdown.

Interestingly the room booking link takes you to Marriott.

Rooms per night start at £136 and go to £176.(Thursday, 1 night stay)

There are no rooms available for Saturday the 5th. Thursday and Friday have limited availability. I can imagine the hotel is full every matchday.

Last edited:
As demonstrated last night, we need a roof that covers level 1. I would like to see a whole new roof that is translucent and lets loads of light in but more importantly, keeps people dry.

As demonstrated last night, we need a roof that covers level 1. I would like to see a whole new roof that is translucent and lets loads of light in but more importantly, keeps people dry.

Don’t think there’s a stadium where that’s even possible unless it’s really small or you have a retractable roof. The stands are just too tall in bigger venues to stop the wind blowing the rain in.

Here is Anfield Road expansion

They're expanding the second tier, building behind it and tying them together. The lower tier remains the same. Logistically you wouldn't be able to tie into the lower tier without major work - changing the profile of the stand to tie into the tiers behind. You couldn't do it without closing the stand on matchdays so it's not an option the club will consider in my opinion. They might well consider expanding the 2nd tier to tie in to create more of a home end. But it will not be a single tier.

Don’t think there’s a stadium where that’s even possible unless it’s really small or you have a retractable roof. The stands are just too tall in bigger venues to stop the wind blowing the rain in.

Although the way I feel about it right now echoes Elvis Costello in Oliver's Army, I live in St Petersburg, Russia, The new stadium here, built to host the final of the Confederations Cup in 2017 and World Cup games including the semi-final in 2018, has a retractable roof and it's brilliant.

The weather here for half the year is like Manchester, while for the other half it can be snowy and freezing, while at the height of winter it can get down to -30C. I've been in the stadium in swirling gale and pouring rain that would get blown right in your face throughout most of the stadium if the roof were closed and you couldn't even tell what the weather was doing outside. I've been in there when it was -20C outside and it was +17C inside.

I'd love a revamped Etihad to have a retractable roof. No chance of it happening, apart from anything else because I don't think the PL allows games to be played with a closed roof anyway, but it would be superb IMO and steal a march on other British stadiums apart from Cardiff.

I think that's just due to the timing more than anything. Covid will have killed the revenues. Even with the arena though you're looking at 2-3 events a week and it's not a 24/7 destination. Any hotel should provide a state-of-the-art conference/convention centre so it attracts big businesses to come and use the facilities. They can stay in the hotel and they can go corporate to the football games. Arsenal and Spurs will have loads of boxes sold on company credit cards for entertaining. There's more going on near the swamp with Salford Quays there and the cricket ground - with a very good hotel that probably sells out first. And there's a lot of tourists at the swamp which we know. To attract more revenue at the football you need to try and attract more businesses with the big company money out to that part of Manchester and that's one way that could do it.

I agree that conferencing seems a great way to stimulate daily use of the site. I remember being told way back that they were looking at something along the lines of the Abd Dhabi National Exhibition Centre and thinking it sounded as though it absolutely fitted the bill for what we needed. Nothing has come of it so far, but maybe the Arena can help to stimulate development.

Birmingham has a centrally located Conference and Events Centre.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.