Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

This is what they are doing in Leicester same kind idea

Meanwhile, Aston Villa are embarking on this: The future vision of Villa Park (see picture below). But I don't exactly think there's any need for us to feel pangs of jealousy here.

villa park proposal 2.jpg

Like the proposal at Leicester, Villa will have an events centre, in this case called Villa Live, as part of the development, and it'll be "a brand new standalone multi-use entertainment, community, and retail venue destination". And as Leicester do, Villa also stress the regeneration aspect, claiming great benefits for both the city of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands region.

It's no accident that some of the accompanying comment from both those Midlands clubs reads word for word like the vision expressed in official documents going back to just after the ADUG takeover and long planned by the joint venture established a decade ago between MCC and MCFC to develop land around the stadium. It's taken a distressingly long time to come to fruition (as both @jrb and I have lamented on here of late), but hopefully the construction of Co-op Live and the apparently forthcoming redevelopment of the North Stand at the Etihad will finally prove the catalyst.

If we get even halfway to the sort of plans that were being discussed back in those early post-takeover days, I can assure you that we'll piss all over anything that any other football club in Britain will manage. Don't believe me? Well, in contrast to what's currently going up adjacent to our stadium, Villa Live or Leicester's events centre aren't going to be UK's biggest indoor arena, are they?

The exception may well be Newcastle. I'm sure with the money behind them, we'll eventually see something pretty spectacular going up at and around St James's Park.

Meanwhile, Aston Villa are embarking on this: The future vision of Villa Park (see picture below). But I don't exactly think there's any need for us to feel pangs of jealousy here.

View attachment 60654

Like the proposal at Leicester, Villa will have an events centre, in this case called Villa Live, as part of the development, and it'll be "a brand new standalone multi-use entertainment, community, and retail venue destination". And as Leicester do, Villa also stress the regeneration aspect, claiming great benefits for both the city of Birmingham and the wider West Midlands region.

It's no accident that some of the accompanying comment from both those Midlands clubs reads word for word like the vision expressed in official documents going back to just after the ADUG takeover and long planned by the joint venture established a decade ago between MCC and MCFC to develop land around the stadium. It's taken a distressingly long time to come to fruition (as both @jrb and I have lamented on here of late), but hopefully the construction of Co-op Live and the apparently forthcoming redevelopment of the North Stand at the Etihad will finally prove the catalyst.

If we get even halfway to the sort of plans that were being discussed back in those early post-takeover days, I can assure you that we'll piss all over anything that any other football club in Britain will manage. Don't believe me? Well, in contrast to what's currently going up adjacent to our stadium, Villa Live or Leicester's events centre aren't going to be UK's biggest indoor arena, are they?

The exception may well be Newcastle. I'm sure with the money behind them, we'll eventually see something pretty spectacular going up at and around St James's Park.

There’s no room to put anything up near St James’s Park. Even expanding the ground is going to be extremely difficult for them since there’s a listed building right down the side.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Saudi's built a new stadium. St James Park might look impressive, but it's not big enough, and the corporate facilities are sh*te. Newcastle will miss out on matchday revenue if the team becomes successful.

But just like the Scousers the Geordies won't take kindly to season ticket and matchday ticket price rises.

Last edited:
There’s no room to put anything up near St James’s Park. Even expanding the ground is going to be extremely difficult for them since there’s a listed building right down the side.

They're currently looking at plans to expand, citing the old line that anything is possible if you have enough money and imagination. But the complexity is such that I suspect they'll end up deciding to move to a new stadium, as Sir John Hall originally wanted to do in the 1990s. Whatever happens, I really don't think it credible that their current owners would be happy to stay for the long term at their current stadium in its current form.

If they do relocate, then to keep the fans onside, they'll have to make the new venue something particularly spectacular. They have the money and ambition to do exactly that.

wasnt that one of the reasons that ADUG rejected Newcastle at the time? No land etc to develop around the stadium etc?

No, they pulled out of talks because they considered that Mike Ashley wasn't taking the process seriously. But in any case, ADUG didn't start off with an intention of developing land around a club stadium. It became part of the plan when they were presented with a project at City that allowed ample scope to do so.

If they'd ended up buying Everton, say, or Newcastle and built a new stadium there, they might also have opted to develop land around that new venue if the location allowed. But, at the outset, the priority was to acquire a football club, and the development opportunity was secondary.

Co-op Live - Instagram.
May have already been posted?

B384-AC8-B-848-B-4-C0-E-B1-AE-1-DCAB4-B3-E6-B3.jpg

Agreed.....the foot flow from the metro and hotel will be key.

All the shops, bars,restaurants and connecting pedestrian routes will be covered by a ‘ Kings Cross ‘ styled canopy creating a huge area for pre match / concert use.

The hotel is going where the arena cabins are with vehicular access from AT Way.

The whole project will be located in that big triangle, leaving very large areas including Asda for additional leisure development
Is this the plans mate or your interpretation ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.