Etihad Campus, Stadium and Collar Site Development Thread

Is there a significance to the next 4 weeks out of interest? Genuinely excited about this and the potential for the future.

The whole experience of attending games could be so much better:

It's all been mentioned before but my top 6 thoughts / wants if i may:
  1. Proper City Home End or Side. Ideally the 2 tier approach if NS, expanding to circa 61/62k. Seeing Chelsea and now Liverpool get the whole third tier above our hardcore in SS1 was criminal.
  2. Extension encompassing the fanzone area. Winter games will be much more appealing to the masses and encourages early travel if possible to get involved in the build up. Decent food and beer too.
  3. The aesthetic wrap around the ground along the long term plans for the East and Colin Bell stands. That concrete is looking a little tired. It might not be considered the best ground, but lets aim for it.
  4. Museum / Hotel all sound good, but i'm more interested in the matchday experience as a local.
  5. TRANSPORT - i drive now but would love to jump on a more frequent, regular tram that goes direct to the ground (From Alti) Something has to be in the pipeline if you've got another 23k people attending a gig at the Co-op same day. I know, i am dreaming.
  6. Stick a bloody roof on it eventually, tired of getting pissed on.
I am refreshing this page daily with anticipation.......
Took some first time visiting friends down to The Grand Mosque yesterday then across to Saadiyat Island to The Louvre.

They were utterly amazed at the sheer scale of innovative,world class infrastructure developments under way...it almost took their breath away.

On Saadiyat they have a project underway on the water front with what looks like three ships standing on their stern at an angle with the bows reaching for the sky.

Must be nearly 200 meters tall.

Whatever they develop at The Etihad,it’ll be good.......our young Sheikh is not interested in second best !!

Took some first time visiting friends down to The Grand Mosque yesterday then across to Saadiyat Island to The Louvre.

They were utterly amazed at the sheer scale of innovative,world class infrastructure developments under way...it almost took their breath away.

On Saadiyat they have a project underway on the water front with what looks like three ships standing on their stern at an angle with the bows reaching for the sky.

Whatever they develop at The Etihad,it’ll be good.......our young Sheikh is not interested in second best !!
Abu Dhabi has always struck me as a upmarket, classy and better version of Dubai.

Dubai is all well and good, but for me very flash and superficial.

True.

Got to continue remaining positive that we’ll hear and see something next year.

Off topic.

The demolition of Event City, Trafford City, the location of Therme Manchester has started. Got some pictures today. I’lI probably start a Therme Manchester thread in the Off Topic thread and document it’s construction over the next 2 years. The words game changer and iconic are both appropriate words to describe Therme Manchester.

Promo video.

View attachment 61800

Is that Sherwood Forrest or Elvedon?

Plenty of grounds have had all sides redeveloped. Are they new grounds? Anyway, it's not that important, I was just being pedantic. I stand by my main comment about it not being that impressive for away fans.

Last edited:

Which son goes to most of our matches?

God bless you M13, I sometimes wonder if the Bluemoon forum is packed full of Steve Ovetts and Seb Coes. It's just over 1.5 miles from Central Park to the Etihad at it would take me 30-32 minutes at a brisk pace with my average legs. It's like the people who say it's a 20 min walk back into town from the ground....and 35 mins later I'm still walking.

I agree though, that the service from the South is apalling with the change at Cornbrook debacle. There was a time not so long ago where you could get a double tram from Alty direct and back to the Etihad. Now we are left with singles :(
About 1.2 miles 'as the crow flies' but the shortest route I can find is 1.5 miles but that includes the muddy embankment behind Vermillion. Looks closer to 1.7 miles for a safer route but it shows that if they addressed some of the barriers for pedestrians the various routes could be shorter. Still too far to be attractive though. When the proposal for Sandhills Metrolink interchange came out, they talked about trying to get tram stops around a maximum 800metre distance for the majority of residents in the area (that's 1/2 mile or 2 minutes for Steve & Seb), mainly for a commuting perspective. So for occasional users like us and arena goers I think double that distance should be the top.

Sandhills (if it is still happening) will be about 1.2 miles by crow as well so although good for the Bury line users (0.5 mile nearer than Victoria), it is not much of an improvement than Central Park. In short, there isn't going to be any new tram or train stop inside a 1 mile walk until a stop is built on the line that runs behind the athletics stadium.

Pretty depressing, really.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.