Etihad Campus, Stadium Development and Collar Site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Etihad Campus & potential new stadium

Yes I think we do. The logistics are the killer: There is a 2.5 month window between seasons to remove and install roof parts without closing a stand. Of course it may be possible to remove the roof at both ends at the same time thus compressing the time taken but that would remove the stadium completely as a Summer Concert venue for a year - which raises quite a bit of revenue for the club.

jrb said:
I stand corrected.

Isn't there a quote floating about the interweb that a tower around the 30 storey mark can be built close to the stadium, even though the area is full of old mine shafts?

I remember taking pictures of Buckingham filling the remediated Collar site with concrete pillars/supports under the ground.

Yes, during remediation all, and I quote, "measures were taken to allow the expantion and development of future projects". As was mentioned yesterday, the club will announce things when they deem it the right time.
I very much doubt though that anything would be announced without a CEO in place at the club.

BlueAnorak said:
Yes I think we do. The logistics are the killer: There is a 2.5 month window between seasons to remove and install roof parts without closing a stand. Of course it may be possible to remove the roof at both ends at the same time thus compressing the time taken but that would remove the stadium completely as a Summer Concert venue for a year - which raises quite a bit of revenue for the club.

No expert but imo, when the time comes, they will take the lot off in one go & build something else, possibly alongside or as part of another project.

Can't see them spending years doing things in bits & pieces when they have other plans to build stuff there. I think it will all happen at once.

kramer said:
I also alluded to becoming temporary tenants elsewhere IMHO an iconic building that includes a stadium, multi purpose hall, mall, entertainment complex etc could forgo the protests that would be associated with the replacement of CoMS

Interesting. The only logical place where City could now become tenants on a short term basis would be OT. Highly unlikely but what a statement. Utd could hardly say 'no' - they did in the 20s and their popularity decreased - especially after City helped them out. But would a title challenging City playing at OT damage Utd in the way it damaged City when they played at Maine Rd in 40s?

It'll never happen, but an interesting idea.

Personally, and I've said this dozens of times over the last 3 years, I'd build a new stadium. One that truly is the best and has considerably more money-raising opportunities that the current stadium does.

With the visionaries we now have running the club at the highest levels anything is possible and the stadium could offer so much more.

I don't think we'll build a new one, but I would love to see us do that.

BlueAnorak said:
I didn't say it was cheap though it is a straight forward task -Not a particularly difficult one at all. The issue is, as you say the logistics and timing of the roof replacement Removal would take at least a full summer and replacement would take a longer time period. For these reasons I fully expect the existing roof to be dismantled and a new one constructed - even then the logistics are quite frightening:
[1] Summer 1:
- Remove Stand [A] Roof.
[2] Season 1:
- Build stand [A] roof support towers and stand A extension.
- Assemble new roof sections for stand [a] next to ground.
[3] Summer 2:
- Assemble new stand [A] roof over stadium.
- Begin completion of stand [A] extension.
- Remove Stand Roof.
[4] Season 2:
- Complete and open stand [A] extension.
- Build stand roof support towers and stand extension.
- Assemble new roof sections for stand next to ground.
[5] Summer 3:
- Assemble new stand roof over stadium.
- Begin completion of stand extension.
- Remove Side Stand [C] roof
[6] Season 3:
- Complete and open stand extension.
- Build Stand [C] roof support towers.
- Assemble new roof sections for stand [C] next to ground.
[7] Summer 4:
- Assemble new stand [C] roof over stadium.
- Remove Side Stand [D] roof
[8] Season 4:
- Build Stand [D] roof support towers.
- Assemble new roof sections for stand [D] next to ground.
[7] Summer 5:
- Assemble new stand [D] roof over stadium.

Then at some point you would probably want to remove redundant masts form the Spirals.

As can be seen the ground will be a building site for around 4.5 years due to the logistics of the thing. The building of a new Stadium from the ground up is appealing though probably more expensive. Of course there is the alternative of becoming tenants elsewhere for a season or two (though I doubt that would be popular).

If I understand you correctly, you are saying we would need to have stands without a roof during the season? I know that we can't have on-going work during the season because of H&S considerations, but as far as I understand it the PL rules prevent the use of uncovered stands. I could have this completely wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere (probably this thread!).

If i'm correct, then that would mean greatly reduced capacity during the build. But, it would also mean there is nothing stopping the build going ahead during the season.

The vision is in place. Surely someone on here must be well connected and know what the actual plans are. C'mon - discretely spill the beans!

Danny Hoekman said:
The vision is in place. Surely someone on here must be well connected and know what the actual plans are. C'mon - discretely spill the beans!
I've been following this thread from the beginning hoping the same . I can conclude that there isn't.

blueparrot said:
Danny Hoekman said:
I've been following this thread from the beginning hoping the same . I can conclude that there isn't.

I know! I've actually spoken to a couple of the Executive team over the last couple of years and no matter how hard you try, they will not divulge any information on future infrastructure plans. The only thing you will get off them is some waffle on the club's values etc!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.