etihad now a double of old Trafford

WNRH said:
Ric said:
The atmosphere at most Premiership grounds is rubbish, especially at relatively low key fixtures. We're no better or worse than other fans in that respect.

Whisper it quietly, but the atmosphere at Maine Road was pretty subdued at times too. Nothing has really changed.

A lot has changed, we now have a team that we can sing, dance and be proud about. Everyone should be enjoying themselves every home game, instead it looks to some like it's a chore.

The team has changed, but people haven't. You can't force an atmosphere. Show me a team in the Premiership who have a consistently good atmosphere. We shouldn't beat ourselves up about something that isn't specific to City. It's endemic in English football.

Ric said:
WNRH said:
Ric said:
The atmosphere at most Premiership grounds is rubbish, especially at relatively low key fixtures. We're no better or worse than other fans in that respect.

Whisper it quietly, but the atmosphere at Maine Road was pretty subdued at times too. Nothing has really changed.

A lot has changed, we now have a team that we can sing, dance and be proud about. Everyone should be enjoying themselves every home game, instead it looks to some like it's a chore.

The team has changed, but people haven't. You can't force an atmosphere. Show me a team in the Premiership who have a consistently good atmosphere. We shouldn't beat ourselves up about something that isn't specific to City. It's endemic in English football.

It's not a so called atmosphere that i am highlighting, it's the long silence's that i am going on about. There were times where we sung today and it wasn't loud but it was noise. I can't think of another ground apart from maybe Reading and Fulham where there are so many periods of pin dropping silence.

WNRH said:
It's not a so called atmosphere that i am highlighting, it's the long silence's that i am going on about. There were times where we sung today and it wasn't loud but it was noise. I can't think of another ground apart from maybe Reading and Fulham where there are so many periods of pin dropping silence.

You're overly critical of our fans and club. 9 out of 10 neutral fans will tell you our stadium is louder than both Old Trafford and the Emirates. One hospitality trip to OT a year ago doesn't change that, their atmosphere has been atrocious for years to the extent their own captain criticised them and pockets of their fans have begged and pleaded for at least one singing section (we have two) that has so far been rejected by the rag chiefs. I have *never* heard a City game as silent as United vs. West Ham was during the week. I heard one United song for about 15 seconds and the rest of the game was silence or West Ham fans taking the piss. They couldn't even make any noise in the 6-1 *before* we massacred them and let's not forget Wembley 2011 when we outsang them for 90 minutes.

Edit: And this is coming from someone dissatisfied with our atmosphere, I think you're going OTT though. United and Arsenal are both notorious for their dead atmospheres, we aren't because our fans can still 'get it up' for more games.

LoveCity said:
WNRH said:

You're overly critical of our fans and club. 9 out of 10 neutral fans will tell you our stadium is louder than both Old Trafford and the Emirates. One hospitality trip to OT a year ago doesn't change that, their atmosphere has been atrocious for years to the extent their own captain criticised them and pockets of their fans have begged and pleaded for at least one singing section (we have two) that has so far been rejected by the rag chiefs. I have *never* heard a City game as silent as United vs. West Ham was during the week. I heard one United song for about 15 seconds and the rest of the game was silence or West Ham fans taking the piss. They couldn't even make any noise in the 6-1 *before* we massacred them and let's not forget Wembley 2011 when we outsang them for 90 minutes.

Edit: And this is coming from someone dissatisfied with our atmosphere, I think you're going OTT though. United and Arsenal are both notorious for their dead atmospheres, we aren't because our fans can still 'get it up' for more games.

It's all about opinions at the end of the day but i don't think i am being OTT. Again i am not talking so much about atmosphere where there is loud songs, i am talking about the silent periods which i stand by do not happen anywhere else apart from maybe Reading and Fulham.

Normally when I can afford to get to matches I sit in the third tier but saw a load of the away allocation had been returned and took a seat in 115 for this game, ended up sat about a half dozen seats from the Fulham fans.

To me, (one of?) the main issue(s) for that game was that Fulham returned seats on either side of their allocation. This meant that the fans for a block either side of them were people like myself who can't get to many games and yes, perhaps even (unlike myself) people who were going more for the spectacle. You could tell that there was a difference between the season ticket holders and those who had bought up the returned away tickets because on either side there was just a literal drop-off where the singing section ended and suddenly all the fans were sat down, save for a few of us who stayed stood up and tried to force everyone else to stand. The effect was to make something of a no-man's land around the away support. From where I was sat the Fulham fans were actually quite loud and were pretty much in full song for the first 20 minutes of the game, as well as for much of the rest too. I have no idea what this sounded like half the way across the stadium but I guess from other peoples' comments that the sound died at around the half-way line if not before, but where I was, they were putting up a good show, and just to respond to those saying that no safe standing kills the atmosphere, the Fulham fans were singing for 20 minutes without once standing up during that time. They were constantly singing songs about how quiet we were, and I think this is because our songs were failing to reach them too. I was trying my hardest to join in the songs coming in from 116 but the honest truth is that when so few people around you are singing, it's very hard to keep singing too, at least if you're someone like myself who wants to sing, but doesn't have the nerve to start the songs yourself.

Long story short, I know I'm somewhat inexperienced in standing in the singing sections but it really felt like the atmosphere would've been at least 2x better if our singing sections had actually bordered their fans. They were singing, I promise, but with the "dead zones" of quiet fans in the middle, there was just no interaction between the two sides - possible exception of the constant interplay between their fans and the one plucky soul doing the singing of 10 men just round to the right of their fans, amidst the people who wouldn't stand up between our singing section and them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, please. As I say, I'm used to sitting high up in the Colin Bell, where I can hear the chants but can't really tell as easily how the two sets of fans play off against each other, but this is something I want to know about because honestly if I could afford a season ticket/didn't have to travel so far for every game, I'd probably want to be in the singing areas with the best of you.

WNRH said:
LoveCity said:
WNRH said:

It's all about opinions at the end of the day but i don't think i am being OTT. Again i am not talking so much about atmosphere where there is loud songs, i am talking about the silent periods which i stand by do not happen anywhere else apart from maybe Reading and Fulham.

Personally, I go becaue I have supported City for 40 years, love watching them and am in my own little world "WATCHING THE *UCKING GAME!", not looking to be entertained by my fellow supporters! Seriously, what is the problem? Atmosphere? What the flying *uck has that got to do with football and life in general? Its was freezeing today, we no longer have standing areas, yet at times the boys played some delightfull football and to be fair Berbaflop had a standout game as well. All this going on at a time when we are heading into yet another dip in the economy. This is a meaningless thread.

VOOMER said:
WNRH said:
LoveCity said:

Personally, I go becaue I have supported City for 40 years, love watching them and am in my own little world "WATCHING THE *UCKING GAME!", not looking to be entertained by my fellow supporters! Seriously, what is the problem? Atmosphere? What the flying *uck has that got to do with football and life in general? Its was freezeing today, we no longer have standing areas, yet at times the boys played some delightfull football and to be fair Berbaflop had a standout game as well. All this going on at a time when we are heading into yet another dip in the economy. This is a meaningless thread.

What has atmosphere's got to do with football? Really?

Falastur said:
Normally when I can afford to get to matches I sit in the third tier but saw a load of the away allocation had been returned and took a seat in 115 for this game, ended up sat about a half dozen seats from the Fulham fans.

To me, (one of?) the main issue(s) for that game was that Fulham returned seats on either side of their allocation. This meant that the fans for a block either side of them were people like myself who can't get to many games and yes, perhaps even (unlike myself) people who were going more for the spectacle. You could tell that there was a difference between the season ticket holders and those who had bought up the returned away tickets because on either side there was just a literal drop-off where the singing section ended and suddenly all the fans were sat down, save for a few of us who stayed stood up and tried to force everyone else to stand. The effect was to make something of a no-man's land around the away support. From where I was sat the Fulham fans were actually quite loud and were pretty much in full song for the first 20 minutes of the game, as well as for much of the rest too. I have no idea what this sounded like half the way across the stadium but I guess from other peoples' comments that the sound died at around the half-way line if not before, but where I was, they were putting up a good show, and just to respond to those saying that no safe standing kills the atmosphere, the Fulham fans were singing for 20 minutes without once standing up during that time. They were constantly singing songs about how quiet we were, and I think this is because our songs were failing to reach them too. I was trying my hardest to join in the songs coming in from 116 but the honest truth is that when so few people around you are singing, it's very hard to keep singing too, at least if you're someone like myself who wants to sing, but doesn't have the nerve to start the songs yourself.

Long story short, I know I'm somewhat inexperienced in standing in the singing sections but it really felt like the atmosphere would've been at least 2x better if our singing sections had actually bordered their fans. They were singing, I promise, but with the "dead zones" of quiet fans in the middle, there was just no interaction between the two sides - possible exception of the constant interplay between their fans and the one plucky soul doing the singing of 10 men just round to the right of their fans, amidst the people who wouldn't stand up between our singing section and them.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, please. As I say, I'm used to sitting high up in the Colin Bell, where I can hear the chants but can't really tell as easily how the two sets of fans play off against each other, but this is something I want to know about because honestly if I could afford a season ticket/didn't have to travel so far for every game, I'd probably want to be in the singing areas with the best of you.

I was also a stander in this area and got moaned at,i dont think the club made them aware it was a standing area.

bluemoon73 said:
Falastur said:

I was also a stander in this area and got moaned at,i dont think the club made them aware it was a standing area.

Who says it's a standing area?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.