EU referendum

• In

Votes: 503 47.9%
  • Out

Votes: 547 52.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The thin edge of the wedge my friends, the thin end of the wedge I'm telling you...

Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

• Indebted Portugal is still the problem child of the eurozone

He deemed it too risky to let the Left Bloc or the Communists come close to power, insisting that conservatives should soldier on as a minority in order to satisfy Brussels and appease foreign financial markets.

The article in full....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...rtugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

Where ere will it all end?

Last edited:
Merkel was naive, though I will give her some credit for trying to something, but this was not the eu either. As for the austerity yes, but would you have done anything different? Obviously the issues were primarily with the Greeks being allowed in when they clearly didn't meet the requirements for membership of the single currency, but given that is it the best outcome of a bad job?

but we have been assured that in no area will the EU allow any compromise in meeting criteria just for the sale expediency and the desire to expand - we can have confidence for the next 30/40/50 years surely

Last edited:
TTIP is just one of two major trade deals flying about.
You are right about Cameron and Gidiot, of course they will bend to the corporations and will do their masters's bidding.
Voting out will hand TTIP on a plate to them or a worse trade agreement as the US would look to hammer us. At least in Europe there are numerous people working against it and France have come out saying they are against it.
Of the two options, In is the greater chance of avoiding it.

This. The whole point of having nations working together is that there is a veto. Huge amounts of documentation are public - a Tory Government would never do that - and the US couldn't care less about a comparatively tiny nation with whom it does little by way of trade.

The thin edge of the wedge my friends, the thin end of the wedge I'm telling you...

Anibal Cavaco Silva, Portugal’s constitutional president, has refused to appoint a Left-wing coalition government even though it secured an absolute majority in the Portuguese parliament and won a mandate to smash the austerity regime bequeathed by the EU-IMF Troika.

• Indebted Portugal is still the problem child of the eurozone

He deemed it too risky to let the Left Bloc or the Communists come close to power, insisting that conservatives should soldier on as a minority in order to satisfy Brussels and appease foreign financial markets.

The article in full....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/...rtugals-anti-euro-Left-banned-from-power.html

Where ere will it all end?

Dunno beejay, maybe here?
https://www.theguardian.com/comment...s-austerity-coup-portugal-elections-eu-brexit

I've been OUT for the month I've been considering it so far. As of recent, I just feel we're being played by the BREXIT campaign - false hopes, easy to get a large proportion of the nation on side through things like immigration and other false promises.

They don't give up power like that. 2 sects of elite playing off against each other is all it comes down to for me now, besides what i'm sure will prove to be superficial stuff.

I can think of many reasons to vote out - but what I think that seems to be being missed is that there is at this point there is no certainty of where a 'leave' decision will take us. This is leaped upon by the Remain campaign to scare the populace - when in fact people should not be surprised.

The Leave campaign is just that a referendum campaign they are not a government - this Conservative government should have been doing its job and (objectively and accurately) starting the planning of what they would do if instructed by the citizens of this country to manage an exit - but the self-interests of individuals have been shamelessly given priority and after all bringing forward planning does not suit the agenda.

But as people seem to crave certainty - what does seem to be certain is the EU is going to stagnate - the Eurozone is going to bomb and take all of us down with it (whether in the Eurozone or not).

Given those (IMO) certainties I would rather choose to 'get off the bus' and carefully consider my direction and plans than to lemming like hurtle to the precipice.

As mentioned previously - in making a Titanic comparison - of course the survivors sitting in the lifeboats faced an uncertain future but surely that was a preferable place to be when listening to the band playing.....? People do still seem to have this '...she's to big to sink..' mind-set - IMO lemmings that will unfortunately condemn us all.

Last edited:
But as people seem to crave certainty - what does seem to be certain is the EU is going to stagnate - the Eurozone is going to bomb and take all of us down with it (whether in or not).

No certainty there, it's gone from stagnation to bombing and taking all of us down in the very same sentence. Do we get a choice of the bomb or stagnation?

Can sense after events of last weeks tragic event the campaign & their scare tactics will just about edge it. Pretty disgusting if you ask me using this MP's death to fuel their agenda. I've seen a handful of people on Twitter put the blame Farage for the actions of one mentally unstable individual. You might think he's a knob but that's completely uncalled for.

Hopefully it'll be a historic day on 23rd July and we'll have the balls to vote leave. We're stuck in a rut if we decide to stay in the EU. Think its bad now...it's only going to get worse. Vote OUT.

yes sickening - chuka umunna yesterday when being interviewed ahead of parliament sitting - emphasising how all must focus on the loss to family and friends and not use the tragedy for political gain............. immediately followed by - but lets remember what she stood for, Jo was a REMAIN supporter, a passionate campaigner.......etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.