Europa league

I don't give a damn about Europa League, Fa Cup or Carling Cup.

We'll have many chances to win all those trophies but WE ARE NOT READY yet to fight on all fronts.

Rome wasn't built in a day and we should go step by step. Last year it was the FA Cup, first trophy after 35 years and this year our focus should be on league and league only.

dctid said:
greasedupdeafguy said:
Has become much more important after tonight, strongest team for every game.

Dol you really really think we are going to beat Porto?

People are definitely over estimating Porto based on last year. They have lost a great manager and a goal machine in Falcao.

Hulk has been playing up top, which he isn't very good at, and because he is up top it means they have lost one of the best wingers in the world.

Apart from him and a few others (Rodriguez, Moutinho, Pereira) we really don't have anything to worry about.

Also they play in the Portuguese league which isn't exactly competitive.

EaglesFan said:
I dont understand that mindset, I really dont...

WHY would you rather be the king of your own back yard than king of masses?

You want to win the League, of course, but that being more important than winning CL or EL for that matter is what I will NEVER agree with.

This team needs world-wide recognition. Being champion of your own country doesnt get you that (see Dortmund last year, or countless other examples).

What is with this nonsense. I will ALWAYS pick to be president of a country over president of my own municipality.

Always.

Teams like Inter, Bayern, Barca can do FUCK ALL in their respective leagues - but all people remember is that they are European Champions.

How did Porto become respected club? By winning Portuguese league? Fuck no - by winning Europa League.

So what you are saying is that Middlesbrough and Fulham earned respect across Europe for reaching the UEFA Cup Final.

Let's not be silly.

You don't earn Kudos for winning the Portuguese league because it's not a glamorous league. The English Premier League is the most watched in the world. There is a world of difference.

The Europa League is the ultimate definition of a Mickey Mouse Cup, a tournament that houses only teams that weren't quite good enough in the league or Champions League. There is no Kudos in being the best runner-up.

Whilst you may have apoint with the Champions League, you do not with the Europa. No-one watches it. Nobody is interested.

At the end of the day the extra games played in a tournament we may well not win is likely to cost us league points due to travel and fatigue.

Like last season, if we had gone all the way to Dublin and lost in the Final, the fixture pile up would almost certainly have cost us a top four place and an FA Cup win. This year it would more than likely cost us the league, in my opinion

Whilst it would be nice to win all trophies, there are some that have to be rock bottom at the list of priorities. The Europa is down there with the Charity Shield.

DD said:
EaglesFan said:
I dont understand that mindset, I really dont...

WHY would you rather be the king of your own back yard than king of masses?

You want to win the League, of course, but that being more important than winning CL or EL for that matter is what I will NEVER agree with.

This team needs world-wide recognition. Being champion of your own country doesnt get you that (see Dortmund last year, or countless other examples).

What is with this nonsense. I will ALWAYS pick to be president of a country over president of my own municipality.

Always.

Teams like Inter, Bayern, Barca can do FUCK ALL in their respective leagues - but all people remember is that they are European Champions.

How did Porto become respected club? By winning Portuguese league? Fuck no - by winning Europa League.

So what you are saying is that Middlesbrough and Fulham earned respect across Europe for reaching the UEFA Cup Final.

Let's not be silly.

You don't earn Kudos for winning the Portuguese league because it's not a glamorous league. The English Premier League is the most watched in the world. There is a world of difference.

The Europa League is the ultimate definition of a Mickey Mouse Cup, a tournament that houses only teams that weren't quite good enough in the league or Champions League. There is no Kudos in being the best runner-up.

Whilst you may have apoint with the Champions League, you do not with the Europa. No-one watches it. Nobody is interested.

At the end of the day the extra games played in a tournament we may well not win is likely to cost us league points due to travel and fatigue.

Like last season, if we had gone all the way to Dublin and lost in the Final, the fixture pile up would almost certainly have cost us a top four place and an FA Cup win. This year it would more than likely cost us the league, in my opinion

Whilst it would be nice to win all trophies, there are some that have to be rock bottom at the list of priorities. The Europa is down there with the Charity Shield.

at least the Charity Shield is contested by trophy winners and not also-rans that finished 7th in their league or dropped out of Europe's more meaningful elite competition. I'd have it alongside the Dublin Super Cup etc. An opportunity for the kids and rezzies to play some decent sides at most. No money in it and no glory; only fixture congestion and the corresponding negative impact on league form for the unwary.

And people forget another perk if we win the Europa League:

31st August, 2012 - Stade Louis II, Monaco
European Super Cup

FC Barcelona or Real Madrid C.F. vs. Manchester City

Watched by the entire world (and quite a lot in the club's coffers too).

LoveCity said:

European Super Cup

Actually, it usually gets a crowd of about 3,000 and is watched by hardly anyone.

DD said:
LoveCity said:

European Super Cup

Actually, it usually gets a crowd of about 3,000 and is watched by hardly anyone.
Sold out this year and you wouldn't want a final against barca or madrid?

DD said:
LoveCity said:

European Super Cup

18,000 watched last year's, a full house.

It was watched all over the world by millions.

And it's another trophy that can be won in one night.

I would be stunned if Mancini plays anything other than a total reserve side in the EL. Personally I want us to get knocked out next round.

The league is all that matters.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.