Everton (a) post-match thread

I would argue when Foden is one of the three, rather than the false nine, it is the best combo.

De Bruyne should be nowhere near that midfield and in the false nine.
Eddy
Dias Stones
Walker Cancelo
Rodri
Berny Phil
Mahrez Sterling
Haaland

That's what it should be 2022-23

Rodri pic

The question here is whether this pic is BEFORE, DURING or AFTER the ball makes contact with Rodri.

It is only important if it is DURING, in which case it is definitely a borderline decision either way.

Given that, it was NOT a “clear and obvious error.”

The ref said he couldn’t see it. He relied on VAR, and VAR clearly determined they couldn’t say it WAS handball, based on the new “T-shirt line” handball definition in the LoTG.

7B6C9368-3B96-4714-9142-5BA89D3C7003.jpeg

I’m having a problem with the KDB disrespect on this thread.

He is being tasked with being a false nine and midfielder and fourth pressing player…AND defend like he’s a DM at times!

As was funnily discussed earlier, if there were actually two of him (Kev & KDB), it might help, but he’s one man.

Yes, there are multiple factors that can be applied to his season, including lack of rest, injuries and COVID, but one thing he cannot be accused of is hiding or not putting in 100%, even on his worst day.

Players have spells. Bernardo was virtually anonymous yesterday, Foden, too, until he popped up with the winner. Sterling was dire, Gundo off his game, and on and on.

Yes, I saw KDB get caught in possession, not feeling the pressure coming from behind, twice in bad positions, and his free kicks and forward distribution were sub-his-standard, but his danger is being able to be a game winner at any moment.

Personally, I think it’s long past time we got rid of the false nine, because it is stretching done of our best players beyond their personal strengths.

To have Foden, Bernardo & KDB shagging themselves senseless by pressing and then dropping then having to push forward into the false nine again.

Play Jesus up there, have him try to pull defenders around and get in the box, and let our other attackers create opportunities.

It feels a bit like we are asking too much of too many at the moment. Too much tinkering and shuffling players and positions. Pick the best XI and play them in their best positions. Then, relieve as necessary.

On current form, it’d be easy to bench half the team, so there’s something wrong. Have we hit the 20 mile wall in the 26.2 marathon? I don’t honestly know, but what is clear is that every team knows how to get at us for the first hour, even if they tend to run out of steam in the last 20, 15, 10 mins of games.

The second half was virtual one way traffic, but we ALWAYS look vulnerable to the quick break, while never looking dangerous on our own fast breaks…which are few and far between.

City have to figure out a way to attack a low 4-5-1/5-4-1, and the back post chip only seems to be working against us recently, rather than for us.

I expect a much rested City team to play in the FA Cup, with key players getting a break for the crucial upcoming derby, then another respite for the seeming perfunctory second leg in the CL.

7BC8F4E8-98DD-431B-8508-AE27233185CF.jpeg

The question here is whether this pic is BEFORE, DURING or AFTER the ball makes contact with Rodri.

It is only important if it is DURING, in which case it is definitely a borderline decision either way.

Given that, it was NOT a “clear and obvious error.”

The ref said he couldn’t see it. He relied on VAR, and VAR clearly determined they couldn’t say it WAS handball, based on the new “T-shirt line” handball definition in the LoTG.

View attachment 37462
I agree clear and obvious is doing the majority of the legwork for VAR not intervening, but it still depends on what the ruling is on 1% or100% in the red zone = handball.

Clubs go into fine details with getting the edge on their opponents and with the sleeve now taken into account with regards to handball, will we see sleeves longer to negate handballs

I think Pep is still not happy that we don't have a proper number nine in the squad. It just seems to be pick an attacking midfielder or winger out of a hat and stick him up there and hopefully it comes off. This experiment with Bernardo there is fucking hopeless, he's so out of his comfort zone it's untrue. I know Jesus isn't the answer as well, but at least he's played there and has scored goals up top. Maybe give him a run up there Pep, you just never know

I think Pep is still not happy that we don't have a proper number nine in the squad. It just seems to be pick an attacking midfielder or winger out of a hat and stick him up there and hopefully it comes off. This experiment with Bernardo there is fucking hopeless, he's so out of his comfort zone it's untrue. I know Jesus isn't the answer as well, but at least he's played there and has scored goals up top. Maybe give him a run up there Pep, you just never know
At the moment as we are misfiring a bit, then Jesus has to be the answer because Foden is better on the left. At least Jesus had played there fairly regularly for us.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.