Everton (a) post-match thread

There does seem to be a lack of understanding around VAR and the 'obvious error'.

After seeing the replays VAR could not 100% confirm on what part of the arm the ball hit Rodri, so it's not a clear and obvious error, hence sticking with the onfield decision.

Exactly the same as when we were awarded a penalty v Wolves.
From the picture I could tell you which dimple on his upper arm the ball hit. Without a prior offence that was a pen.

If a decision like that went against us this place would go into meltdown, it was a penalty all day, and Rodri knew it.
You could tell by his reaction he knew, but I’m still confused, on the one hand we have saying Pep and offside and others saying handball, however going off where it hit him it wasn’t it was his sleeve and therefore not a penalty. The giving of the offside after is the key, as the ball had gone out of play for a goal kick I believe. So if it was no penalty then it should’ve been a goal kick, however he gives an offside. If they’d looked for a penalty and it was, then they must’ve gone back further to indicate an offside in the build up. What should’ve been indicated was penalty (if it was) but then no penalty due to the offside. The screen should’ve shown penalty/possible off side, but they probably don’t have a graphic for this.

What VAR should of announced was offside therefore no penalty anyway.
It was the same decision that Ederson got the yellow for time wasting from the resulting free kick.

How was it a penalty? Should we ignore the offside right before the penalty?
Don’t know where you watched it, but that angle doesn’t seem to be in the equation here, they seem to have been quite “economical” in their assessment of the incident and claiming the only thing under consideration was the handball.

I’ve watched it a few times now and there are definite grounds for showing the potential offside.

It was a stonewall penalty that should have been given. If Liverpool had gotten away with it we'd all be apoplectic.

It's fine to just say we got away with it. We don't need to bend over backwards or find some previously unseen camera angle that apparently "proves" Rodri didn't do anything wrong, or that Richarlison was offside in the build-up.

We benefited from a lucky bounce for the goal and then benefited from a bizarre VAR cock-up for the non-penalty. It's a bad decision, neutrals will see it as a bad decision. No conspiracy, nothing underhanded, doesn't change the result.

But again, like, this doesn't matter. We got lucky with the decision, we got lucky with the goal. There's no grand reffing conspiracy against Everton, there's no grand media conspiracy against City, there's no argument to be had. We just got the rub of the green and won the game - we don't need to contort ourselves or pretend the ball hit Rodri's shirt sleeve. There's bit of confusion about what VAR was looking for, sure, both in relation to the handball and the offside, but it's fair enough for a neutral to look at what happened with Rodri and think "Hang on a minute, that's a penalty". As I said before, if Liverpool had gotten away with that non-handball decision (and if they'd scored a stuffy goal like ours) we'd all be livid - we wouldn't be interested in whether Richarlison was really offside or not. The replays I have seen of Richarlison's movements aren't conclusive so I'll go with what happened on the pitch in front of me. We got away with one, football teams get away with stupid stuff all the time, we still won the game. This isn't like the Arsenal game where they acted like dickheads and couldn't handle the fact that they'd handed us the game on a plate, I actually think Everton have a case to feel wronged - but so what? We won, they didn't, shit happens, they'll get over it.
If you deliberately look away from a clear offside that’s on you but it will never change the fact that Everton were never wronged. Worst case scenario is that the officials accidentally arrived at the right decision but even then if I was the one whose team didn’t get a call - a wrong call not properly tagged by the officials, why would I feel wronged?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.