Everton hypocrisy - the ’Mersey Millionaires’

Gwladiator said:
Are you seriously trying to compare the £350,000 spent on Bob Latchford to the £32m spent on Robinho?

-- Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:38 pm --

standupefc said:
The difference is between City and other clubs is that players move to win things not just for money. City are completely different to other sides like Liverpool, Manchester United, Leeds, Villa, and Spurs. Big clubs like the ones before have history and a history of winning things like it or not. I'm sure City fans would be pretty pissed off if a club similar to your size such as Wolves were bought by a billionaire then start to try and buy all your players. Other clubs have behaved with dignity and the fact you have some of the most dislikeable players known to man doesn't help. Tevez is the most ungrateful footballer that I know already wants to leave City and he's only been there a year. Adebayor was hated by Arsenal fans even when he was excellent for them. Contary to common belief Balotelli wasn't hated because he was black, he's hated for being a total twat, disrespectful, annoying and offensive about other people then expects people to feel sorry for him. I know that most proper City fans I know who were there when you were shite hate whats happening at City now. What pisses me off the most is the fact that the people running your club like Garry Cook are complete and utter knobheads of the highest caliber and treated Mark Hughes disgracefully.

1) Yes they have some pricks in their squad but don't most teams? We've certainly got a few.

2) Never heard anything like that. He's a fantastic footballer who's always struck me as one of the 'nice guys'. Any club would be lucky to have a player of such quality.

To sum up; what a shite post. You're embarrasing yourself. Any club, ourselves included would love to be in City's position right now.
Fair play pal, you've always been one of the more reasonable opposition fans on here.

I had quite the rant ready, but the fact that a fellow Everton supporter has dismissed the clowns post says far more than I ever could :)<br /><br />-- Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 pm --<br /><br />
FriendlyBlue said:
But the comparison is bogus. When John Moores was chairman of Everton, we were indeed known as the Millionnaires Club, but John Moores backed the managers in the form of loans, all of which were paid back to him in full. John Moores did not invest one penny into Everton. Everything he invested was returned at least tenfold. He owned the majority of the club when players were paid buttons in todays terms when the wage bill was less than 10% of club turnover.

I don't begrudge City success, we were very similar clubs both in fan base and football terms before the money arrived, and I will always be in the 'Anyone but Liverpool' camp. But getting back on thread, the financials are totally different: you would be bankrupt if your investors demanded a return of their investment and walked away. Doesn't matter how much money you have now, you will always remain hostage to fortune.
Their investment was in the form of equity, not loans.

Look that up, then come back with your next argument, as you'll find that one to be invalid.

Fucking hell, are you pre-Shinawatra City in disguise?[/quote]

I'm sure quite a few City fans will wince at that remark!

Are you seriously trying to compare the £350,000 spent on Bob Latchford to the £32m spent on Robinho?

Absolutely.

The amounts are irrelevant and simply represent the going rate at the time. Both were British Transfer Records by rich clubs trying to improve their league position by buying the best they could afford and attract. Everton had finished 7th the season before they spent big; City 9th. Much of a muchness.

Latchford of course was by far the better signing!

Oh and Moores made a profit by selling his shareholding you say. Our owners too are investing in their shareholding. The times are different, the amounts greater, but they clearly believe they too will see a return on their investment as your rich owner did. They also have every right to try and do so. Again - no difference.

-- Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 pm --

FriendlyBlue said:
But the comparison is bogus. When John Moores was chairman of Everton, we were indeed known as the Millionnaires Club, but John Moores backed the managers in the form of loans, all of which were paid back to him in full. John Moores did not invest one penny into Everton. Everything he invested was returned at least tenfold. He owned the majority of the club when players were paid buttons in todays terms when the wage bill was less than 10% of club turnover.

I don't begrudge City success, we were very similar clubs both in fan base and football terms before the money arrived, and I will always be in the 'Anyone but Liverpool' camp. But getting back on thread, the financials are totally different: you would be bankrupt if your investors demanded a return of their investment and walked away. Doesn't matter how much money you have now, you will always remain hostage to fortune.

Look that up, then come back with your next argument, as you'll find that one to be invalid
.[/quote]

And so they own all the equity. If they walked away tomorrow and put the club up for sale for £1 there would be no takers. You're wage bill alone is 120% of your income. In the real financial world you are not a going concern. You're business model is unsustainable in its present form without constant investment from your owners. An investment that will never earn a positive return. That is why the OP's argument is bogus, and that is why your smart-arsed reply displays zero knowledge of business finance.

Latchford was born in Kings Heath, Birmingham. He was transferred from Birmingham City to Everton for £350,000, a British transfer record at the time.

I think the comparison of Latchford's transfer to EFC stands up well to the Robinho transfer. Both broke the transfer record, and while many clubs wouldn't be able to stump up anything like £32.5 for RobinHood, just how many clubs at the time of the Bob Latchford transfer could rub their arses with £350K. I suspect the number of clubs so financially embarrassed at those different times would be very similar.

FriendlyBlue said:
And so they own all the equity. If they walked away tomorrow and put the club up for sale for £1 there would be no takers. You're wage bill is 120% of your income. In the real financial world you are not a going concern. You're business model is unsustainable in its present form without constant investment from your owners. An investment that will never earn a positive return. That is why the OP's argument is bogus, and that is why you're smart-arsed reply displays zero knowledge of business finance.

You've proved how stupid you are with your opening comment. A club with zero debt and a brand new stadium and you think no one would buy it for a pound?
Have a word with yourself.

FriendlyBlue said:
And so they own all the equity. If they walked away tomorrow and put the club up for sale for £1 there would be no takers. You're wage bill alone is 120% of your income. In the real financial world you are not a going concern. You're business model is unsustainable in its present form without constant investment from your owners. An investment that will never earn a positive return. That is why the OP's argument is bogus, and that is why your smart-arsed reply displays zero knowledge of business finance.
Exactly.

So we'd be stuck with them being forced to pay the wages, gas bill, even for the fucking tea bags.

Surely this shows you that they have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE WHATSOEVER TO WALK AWAY!

I'm not normally a caps person, but you lot seem a bit dim, so the big letter might have made it easier to read.

FriendlyBlue said:
-- Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:04 pm --

FriendlyBlue said:

Look that up, then come back with your next argument, as you'll find that one to be invalid.

And so they own all the equity. If they walked away tomorrow and put the club up for sale for £1 there would be no takers. You're wage bill alone is 120% of your income. In the real financial world you are not a going concern. You're business model is unsustainable in its present form without constant investment from your owners. An investment that will never earn a positive return. That is why the OP's argument is bogus, and that is why your smart-arsed reply displays zero knowledge of business finance.[/quote]
but they are not walking away tomorrow?what a silly statement,er if the world stopped turning .... oh forget it were just mega rich and your not

stony said:
FriendlyBlue said:
And so they own all the equity. If they walked away tomorrow and put the club up for sale for £1 there would be no takers. You're wage bill is 120% of your income. In the real financial world you are not a going concern. You're business model is unsustainable in its present form without constant investment from your owners. An investment that will never earn a positive return. That is why the OP's argument is bogus, and that is why you're smart-arsed reply displays zero knowledge of business finance.

You've proved how stupid you are with your opening comment. A club with zero debt and a brand new stadium and you think no one would buy it for a pound?
Have a word with yourself.

Not to mention a team with great players in second place in the league on the up and up ;-)

FriendlyBlue said:

Bollocks. The bottom line is we're wedged to fuck whilst you lot are skint. We're aiming for the stars whilst your lot are like a one armed man trying to keep afloat in a stormy ocean of abject poverty. We're all delerious with our good fortune whilst you lot can't imagine why a billionaire Arab chose us and not Everton. When you're asleep you have nightmares about turning up at your shitty, run-down rat infested excuse of a stadium with the gates having been a pad-locked. We dream of a future coloured in a hue of sky blue involving trophys.

'A hostage to fortune?' That's fucking brilliant. Do you honestly think I give a flying fuck whether you think we've been fortunate? If Everton or its fans had been fortunate enough to have landed the golden ticket you'd all be having a joint wankfest but, unfortunately for you, you didn't.

The thing is I feel your pain, I really do. I feel it and enjoy it. I revel in it. Your pain is like a nice, cosy, comfy blanket and it keeps me warm.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.