Everton Thread | 2024/25

What a bum team Everton are, we would never blow a two goal lead at home to a diddy team like Bournemouth
View attachment 130266
I loved Ian Bishop.

I didn’t see him, during his first spell with us, but I had a season ticket for most of his time under Joe Royle.

He was great as a mentor for the younger players and was instrumental in our rise from the third tier to the Premier League.

Selling Bish - and Morley - to West Ham was one of the worst things Kendall did, as City’s manager, IMHO

I thought I'd find the Everton result a bit funny but I just feel sick for them and their fans. It's been a long time but I still remember that feeling of away fans having iconic moments at our expense on a frequent basis. It'll come around again for us as well. But it happened to us often enough - even during the better times - and you never forget the noise or the feeling. It's shit, knowing there's no real hope, that you might be playing in the Championship in the first year at your new stadium. We've been there and it's fucking rubbish; fair play to them for continuing to turn up in big numbers.
I do feel for them they are in a right mess but relegation may be cathartic for them

I do feel for them they are in a right mess but relegation may be cathartic for them
Yeah, it might not be the worst thing to just have a year away from all the doom and gloom for once. Teams like Newcastle, Bournemouth, Fulham, and Villa tbf - they've benefited long-term from dropping down a level and just getting that winning feeling back. If Everton go down they'll immediately be the biggest team down there and they could win a (minor) trophy in their first year and come back up, get rid of the jobbers on massive contracts who couldn't give a fuck, and get a new atmosphere around the club.

I remember some Newcastle fans I know joking that their years in Championship were like spa holidays.

It worked for us, to be fair - admittedly that was 25 years ago but things haven't changed that much. Sometimes new blood and new thinking is needed. A new owner, 15 new players, it can work wonders. When we went down in 2001 our last competitive line-up of the season - in that awful Ipswich game - was Nash; Dunne, Howey, Wiekens; Charvet, Whitley, Tiatto, Grant, Granville; Wanchope, Dickov. Our first Maine Road line-up of the 02/03 season just 15 months later was Schmeichel; Jihai, Howey, Distin, Jensen; Wright-Phillips, Berkovic, Foe, Benarbia, Huckerby; Anelka.

You'd hope for Everton's sake that they can do something like that. Relegation will hurt but when they finish the 25/26 season 2nd in the Championship having won 30 of their 46 games it won't feel so bad anymore. I know they've got that proud record of having never been relegated in the modern era but it feels like a monkey on their back. Once it actually happens they'll see that things aren't so bad - that you can survive and rebuild and come back. It might take one year, it might take five, but Everton are like City, Wolves, Leicester, etc. and will return.

I loved Ian Bishop.

I didn’t see him, during his first spell with us, but I had a season ticket for most of his time under Joe Royle.

He was great as a mentor for the younger players and was instrumental in our rise from the third tier to the Premier League.

Selling Bish - and Morley - to West Ham was one of the worst things Kendall did, as City’s manager, IMHO
We got Mark Ward for the sane money and he turned out to be a proper wrong un.

You're spot on though flogging Bishop and Morley to the Hammers was not good but there were rumours.

Julian Dicks was at West Ham at the time,was hoping Morley scored first, then Dicks and Bish got the third, headline:

Morley Dicks Bishop, one for us FOC's.

More worrying than anything is the fact we generally played well, looked comfortable even, new signings looked decent - then we remembered we were Everton. Some of that defending at 2-2 was the worst I've ever seen, at that stage your looking at closing down, looking at rescuing a point even.

More worrying than anything is the fact we generally played well, looked comfortable even, new signings looked decent - then we remembered we were Everton. Some of that defending at 2-2 was the worst I've ever seen, at that stage your looking at closing down, looking at rescuing a point even.
Pickford was great after it became 2/2.
He had some great saves in that spell.

Pickford was great after it became 2/2.
He had some great saves in that spell.
I'd sooner he never had to make them, at that stage your looking at closing the game down. Defenders should be slowing the game down, take a booking, make a foul possibly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.