FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones showed for the ball throughout the game. Pickford lumped it up the field every time. Mindless dinosaur football. Pickford passed to Spain time and again. Terrible. The players did look tired but the tactics killed them.
Same with France. Shit negative tactics equal shite performances.

I'm not a massive Southgate fan.

But when did England really play attractive, attacking football?

I looked back at a few games from Italia 90, Euro 96, and more recent tournaments and it wasn't great then.
The swashbuckling players who are a joy to watch rarely stay long in an England shirt. The last time the men's team won owt we had a system that matched the players, defenders who could defend and a striker that made 'Arry look even more pedestrian. If you look at the likes of Hoddle, Le Tissier, Waddle, Gascoigne they are not record holders for appearances. They lost the ball, they never tore back 'n defended, so they had a limited life. England managers want dependable players, reliable pros who can do the boss's bidding. Hence, turgid, lacklustre football. When was the last time England scored a goal like the Spanish second? 1966?

I'm not a massive Southgate fan.

But when did England really play attractive, attacking football?

I looked back at a few games from Italia 90, Euro 96, and more recent tournaments and it wasn't great then.
But standards in technical abiity have gone up vastly since then, The FA invested a fair bit on facilities and programs where nurturing this talent is prioritised from youth level.

many of this young crop have won tournaments at U17-U21 levels and feom what I have see, playing with more adventire than play ot safe southgate and his double pivot bollocks.

Then maybe Gareth is just overly aware we have no decent DM and he has to revert to using two central midfielders holding to compensate for us lacking a rodri or kroos type

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.