FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a fantastic opportunity to rid ourselves of this up and under kick and rush rag, dipper football, but the FA are still entrenched in this outdated crap. They need to stop massaging Southgate's ego.
But unfortunately kick and rush up and under football is still entrenched in English football because of dipper and scum players can't play anything else, even though Pep has proved that you can get talented English players playing a continental game .The FA have this outdated idea of football that's never got out of the 60s/7,0s

I'm not a massive Southgate fan.

But when did England really play attractive, attacking football?

I looked back at a few games from Italia 90, Euro 96, and more recent tournaments and it wasn't great then.

England's older sides played fairly typical of how the clubs in England played in the 90s.

Southgate approaches the game like he's in the 90s still, rather than looking at what the majority of his outfield players do every week.

Watch City, Arsenal and Real Madrid play. 6 of out 10 outfield starters for England come from those 3 teams, all these teams are very good with the ball....Yet England don't try to approach the game in a manner close to them.

But unfortunately kick and rush up and under football is still entrenched in English football because of dipper and scum players can't play anything else, even though Pep has proved that you can get talented English players playing a continental game .The FA have this outdated idea of of football that's never got out of the 60s/7,0s
On the money.

But standards i. technical abity have gone up vastly since then, The FA invested a fair bit on facilities and programs where nurturing this talent is prioritised from youth level.

many of this young crop have won tournaments at U17-U21 levels and feom what I have see, playing with more adventire than play ot safe southgate and his double pivot bollocks.

Then maybe Gareth is just overly aware we have no decent DM and he has to revert to using two central midfielders holding to compensate for us lacking a rodri or kroos type

I think its the second mate,

Its like no one else is aware that we don't have any players to play that position?

We tried Rice/Trent/Gallacher/Mainoo in there and they have all struggled - bar a first half against the Dutch when we had a man over, when they then matched it up we went back to struggling again.

We can have as many Fodens, Bellinghams, Sakas as you like, but you need a decent midfield, we don't have anyone.

The Phillips comment was laughed at, but there is some truth in it, we don't have anyone at all to play there - twitter/Football manager and Fifa players answer was Bellingham in there with Rice, but anyone with half a ounce of knowledge of the game could see that Bellingham doesn't have the discipline, tactical knowledge or awareness to play there (yet)

Quite maddening at times, as we think that launching players who can run a bit faster is the answer to all of our problems.

I'm not a massive Southgate fan.

But when did England really play attractive, attacking football?

I looked back at a few games from Italia 90, Euro 96, and more recent tournaments and it wasn't great then.
I think England were an attacking side under Terry Venables, including Euro 96, but he was more of a continental style coach as shown by his time at Barcelona. The FA virtually always pick safe and cautious coaches.

But standards in technical abiity have gone up vastly since then, The FA invested a fair bit on facilities and programs where nurturing this talent is prioritised from youth level.

many of this young crop have won tournaments at U17-U21 levels and feom what I have see, playing with more adventire than play ot safe southgate and his double pivot bollocks.

Then maybe Gareth is just overly aware we have no decent DM and he has to revert to using two central midfielders holding to compensate for us lacking a rodri or kroos type
The DM situation is a big problem. Rice is just not good enough and I am sure Arsenal fans know he will never be a Patrick Vieira (which is the level they need to start winning trophies again). But why didn't Southgate play any wingers so England could get up the pitch? England just played mindless long punts up the field in the hope that Harry Kane would somehow change his whole skillset. Why did he play Foden and then last night play Bellingham on the left wing.

I think England were an attacking side under Terry Venables, including Euro 96, but he was more of a continental style coach as shown by his time at Barcelona. The FA virtually always pick safe and cautious coaches.

I thought that, but the Switzerland game we weren't great, first half against Scotland was poor, Netherlands was really good.

Spain in the quarters we were second best.

Germany in the semis was even.

We were also at home though.

Venables was more adaptable than Southgate though - but saying that, he didn't reach a final (on home soil) with a squad equally as good as what Southgate has had - you could even argue than Venables had a better squad for that tournament.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.