FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is that manager that will want the job?
Potter played progressive modern football at Brighton. He has a decent managerial record despite failing at "basket case" club Chelsea. He is probably the only one available and would be an upgrade on Southgate. He is also good on the PR/media side so the FA will like him.

Potter played progressive modern football at Brighton. He has a decent managerial record despite failing at "basket case" club Chelsea. He is probably the only one available and would be an upgrade on Southgate. He is also good on the PR/media side so the FA will like him.
Not significantly better than Southgate. Roy Hodgson had a decent reputation in European football but failed with England. Same with Capello and Eriksson on the other side of the coin.

Not significantly better than Southgate. Roy Hodgson had a decent reputation in European football but failed with England. Same with Capello and Eriksson on the other side of the coin.
I think Potter is much better than Hodgson who is one of the dinosaurs. I suspect the FA don't have much choice anyway. It is incredible that English International football is incapable of modernising itself when you consider how brilliant the PL has become in this era. You would think we would have learned a lesson from all the talented overseas coaches and players we have seen here.

I think Potter is much better than Hodgson who is one of the dinosaurs. I suspect the FA don't have much choice anyway. It is incredible that English International football is incapable of modernising itself when you consider how brilliant the PL has become in this era. You would think we would have learned a lesson from all the talented overseas coaches and players we have seen here.
Potter struggled at Chelsea despite having certain aspects beyond his control. Besides that Brighton didn't bring many players through their Youth Set up. It is getting the players at the bigger clubs to completely buy into what you want from the team is the stumbling block.

Not significantly better than Southgate.
Really? Potter is a very capable coach, ask Pep who has often spoken about him in glowing terms. He is everything Southsafe is not, plays progressive football and is capable of making in game changes.

I'd say a massive improvement over Mr Grey.

Potter has a history of developing teams playing with a decent playing style, passing out from the keeper etc.

Southgate had a history of doing fuck all with Middlesbrough.

That said, with the time allowed together at international level, it's difficult to get a team to learn a form of positional play considering they all come from teams who play different ways. There'd be enough players used to it, but if(when) Stones is injured the whole concept would fall apart to some extent.

Klopp's brand of football would be quicker and easier for players to pick up, so I'm sure he could be good.

However, he'd also find that the media is very much different for England than it is for the red cult, so he may not fancy the job.

Really? Potter is a very capable coach, ask Pep who has often spoken about him in glowing terms. He is everything Southsafe is not, plays progressive football and is capable of making in game changes.

I'd say a massive improvement over Mr Grey.
It is not just down to coaching. It is the complete package. I am not advocating in keeping Southgate but England need to get this appointment spot on.

Potter struggled at Chelsea despite having certain aspects beyond his control. Besides that Brighton didn't bring many players through their Youth Set up. It is getting the players at the bigger clubs to completely buy into what you want from the team is the stumbling block.

Sounded some of the players felt they were bigger and more important than he was, which could also be an issue with England. He'd have to prove how strong he can be to gain respect, or possibly just ditch a few who don't comply.

Potter has a history of developing teams playing with a decent playing style, passing out from the keeper etc.

Southgate had a history of doing fuck all with Middlesbrough.

That said, with the time allowed together at international level, it's difficult to get a team to learn a form of positional play considering they all come from teams who play different ways. There'd be enough players used to it, but if(when) Stones is injured the whole concept would fall apart to some extent.

Klopp's brand of football would be quicker and easier for players to pick up, so I'm sure he could be good.

However, he'd also find that the media is very much different for England than it is for the red cult, so he may not fancy the job.
Chelsea was a real struggle despite the other factors at the club. Howe would be similar although he would probably be one of the FA's choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.