FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
That said, with the time allowed together at international level, it's difficult to get a team to learn a form of positional play considering they all come from teams who play different ways. There'd be enough players used to it, but if(when) Stones is injured the whole concept would fall apart to some extent.
Plenty of countries had no problem doing this but with England it's always an excuse

Spain had no problems, their players play for all sorts of different clubs

Germany looked like a real team, yeah they got knocked out by Spain, no shame in that but they clearly had a bit of identity.

It can be done with a good manager.

If GS is staying on, he's probably best off trying to sort out who starts where in midfield and attack before the WC begins rather than 'experimenting' 5 games in to it despite having months of friendlies to do that in.

Plenty of countries had no problem doing this but with England it's always an excuse

Spain had no problems, their players play for all sorts of different clubs

Germany looked like a real team, yeah they got knocked out by Spain, no shame in that but they clearly had a bit of identity.

It can be done with a good manager.

Agree to an extent, but we know how particular Pep is in his requirements of players. We need players to come in and understand those kind of ideas from the start, but a lot haven't played under anything like that.

Spain didn't look to have problems, no, but I think a lot have learnt a similar style of football from youth teams onwards. I don't think we have that.

That said, a good coach should be able to do more than Southgate managed. He just decided to try and keep every game tight and then hoped that the individual quality some of our players have would win the day. It's not really a plan that.

If GS is staying on, he's probably best off trying to sort out who starts where in midfield and attack before the WC begins rather than 'experimenting' 5 games in to it despite having months of friendlies to do that in.
I think he will.

The client journalist will then tell him he must build the team around Bellingham not Foden and drop Phil for Palmer.

The body language last night suggested that the bigger club players have lost faith in Southgate. Whatever people think of Bellingham it was stupid to have him playing on the left wing and Pickford lumping the ball up. I think Southgate is finished. I am not saying Potter is a genius but I think he would attempt to play progressive attacking football which would be a start.
Southgate had no answers to beat Spain's press.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.