FA confirm Southgate will stay on until after Euro 2024 (p 101)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have, and with all due respect, to be honest it's reads a bit contradictory. You state he had done a brilliant job, but you then state you think it's time for a change.

Why do you want him to step down if you think he is brilliant at his job?

Yep, overall he’s done a fantastic job for the reasons I’ve given, but i feel 4 tournaments is the max length for an international manager to achieve our ultimate aim of winning a bloody trophy. Which he hasn’t done.

Not against him staying but would welcome a new manager, new ideas and a fresh start.

He's had 4 attempts which is more than enough. If we looked remotely like a decent side that's comfortable in its own skin, I'd want him to stay.

We don't though so it's definitely time for a new voice.

Bielsa would potentially be fantastic but I can see Lampard or possibly Potter getting the gig.

I wouldn't rule out him becoming USA's manager at all.

They're already in the next world cup as the hosts, and as the hosts they will probably want some huge name in football coming in to build the hype, meaning they would probably pay him great money. Its not quite as intense as the Germany job or a big club job, you're not gonna be getting slated in major newspapers every day.

So if he does still want to manage but in a slightly more relaxing role while earning some dough, it's a good job. There's no worry about qualifying, so he can just spend the next couple of years getting paid to live in a sunny part of USA and getting a team together and see what they can do in the World Cup without expectations to win it.
And then still walk into a top job with one of Europe's top clubs once it's over. Makes perfect sense.

Well done Gareth, the best win percentage for an England manager, even better than Alf Ramsey.
I mean it`s not as if Alf managed endless friendlies against Gibraltar, San Marino and Faroe Isles. This current manager has had a cushy run with relatively easy qualifier groups, and then easy tournament games. This tournament`s FIFA rankings were Serbia (32), Denmark (21), Slovenia (57), Slovakia (45), Switzerland (19), Netherlands (7), Spain (8).
The football has been awful, team selection awful, and even the squad selection was a joke. For me the FA got it wrong with his appointment in the first place.
And to think we all thought England and the FA was badly run when Peter Swales was the man calling the shots.

Gaz brought a bit of respectability back to England's national team. He can be lauded for that.
However......
That annihilation last night was the wake up call the country needed.
Yet again, the 1st decent side we meet, we get beat by. This time it was in a final.
English football is at a crossroads. Down one road is how Spain play, with a bit of English grit and endeavour added in; and Down the other way is getting the ball forward fast, hoof it long, and play like the pundits played in the 90s (and win nothing forever).
We are getting better, no doubt, but other national fa's are a decade further along with their teams development. Southgate has stalled ours, unfortunately.
He wants to play the way he understands (90s), but the players are taught modern techniques.
We've got to go spuds deep for the style that wins premier leagues.

Yep, overall he’s done a fantastic job for the reasons I’ve given, but i feel 4 tournaments is the max length for an international manager to achieve our ultimate aim of winning a bloody trophy. Which he hasn’t done.

Not against him staying but would welcome a new manager, new ideas and a fresh start.
He failed given the squad and criteria of the opponents He had his favourites who he let pick themselves like Kane put his self first over the team and country and Southgate let him He bent over backwards to please the media, a great politician, will be working to get the FA to beg him to inflict himself on us for longer and the narrative will be he wanted to leave but for the good of the country he will stay on. Useless football tactician, one thing he was is lucky about his only useful attribute in the position
A lot of truth will come out over the next few weeks about the supposed squad harmony something he has been praised for When he goes it will not be a day too soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.