FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

Ake, who, despite having had a fine season, has zero pace,

Not always true, that. I've been surprised by his pace on occasions. Seen him outrun very quick forwards. Not always, as I say, but it happens.
Otherwise I entirely agree with your post. I'd just add that we didn't always have a slow build-up. It's our varying the slow side to side possession build-up with the two-pass break that surprised opponents in the past. Why is that no longer happening much? Largely because Kev was absent for a huge chunk of this season, and he's now, I'm afraid, in his twilight years as far as that change of pace is concerned. Time and again we've seen Ed spot Kev in space in midfield, give him a sharp pass with pace already on it, Kev spin on to it without even taking a touch and accelerate spectacularly, sending a superb ball in to Kun or, last season, Erling without giving the opposing defence time to reshape.
That, I'm afraid, is not now going to happen at all often. The writing is on the wall. Pep'll already be thinking about ways of tweaking the team to take account of it. I guarantee that.

Last edited:
My take is simple and echoes much of what has been said. I think our boys peaked last Sunday after another impressive long run of favourable results. For once ETH got his tactics right and the game plan worked. Those tactics won't be liked by Reds but they will celebrate any positive - especially against us. I don't think we should let yesterday tarnish a great effort form City over the season - made difficult with key injuries and having the overcome the treble hangover. This team owes us nothing and I can forgive the lack-lustre performance. My pride in being a Blue was enhanced when I visited the Beaconsfield services on the way back last evening. Lots of pissed up Reds chanting their victory - Championes crap etc - FFS they won the FA cup! I'm an FOC+ and stupidly reacted when one got in my face saying 'I didn't realise I was in the presence of such greatness'. Luckily they ignored me - but it was stupid. But the more important point I took away was - I've been to all the cup finals from 2011 onwards and we've only lost two and what's more I've witnessed us singing and celebrating in place like motorway services but honestly never seen any Blues doing this 'in your face stuff'. Banter is OK and losing comes with being a football fan. That's fine - but I can honestly say I've been going since the 1980s and although we have our share of 'nutters' I've never seen anything like those idiots yesterday. Yeah its cheesy - but so proud to be a Blue and to be with Blues. So proud of the club. What comes thru the various ownerships is this genuine decency, lack of entitlement, appreciation of the 'real thing' when we see it. I think Pep gets all this and its why he's stayed with us longer than anyone thought he would. Always disappointed to lose - especially to them - but for me it's just a blip and maybe it will motivate Pep to produce more magic and yesterday doesn't spoil the big picture for me. I'm sure most of us feel that way. The whole Blue collective - will be stronger after this and I would be concerned for whoever is in charge of the Trafford circus next season!

Guardiol must have thought that Ortega would have been on his line when he headed the ball back towards goal.
Even I was surprised to see Ortega so far out of his goal, reminded me of Hart/Kompany some years ago.
So, yes, It was Ortegas' mistake.
Gvardiol should also have been aware of Ortega coming for the ball and headed away from the goal.
Just major cockup all round.

I think what's been more noticeable this season is the relative bluntness of our attacking options against those 'better' teams and conversely how exposed we've been at the back. We have a no.9, who, despite his size, seems to spend 90% of his time on his arse, and a support striker, who, for all that he's a decent finisher, doesn't have a change of gear. There's a real dearth of pace in midfield as well (Bernie, Rodders, Kova, Jack and even now Kev), which means creating a supply line down the flanks has been difficult too. In a way we've been perhaps fortunate that Doku has developed as quickly as he has.
And of course the slow build up has on occasion left us with our full backs stranded way up the pitch. United, Chelsea and to a lesser degree Arsenal, have all played a variation of a false 9 with absolute fliers out wide to take advantage. Hopefully Pep will look at it all and come up with another inventive solution for next season, but I reckon we could see some changes in the summer to give us some proper energy. You could see what was coming yesterday after about 5 minutes with Bernie and Gvardiol providing the width and Ake, who, despite having had a fine season, has zero pace, alongside a visibly rusty and unusually inelegant John Stones at the back
Despite how shit we were, we still missed 3 absolutely glorious chances due to the wastefulness of Haaland and Alvarez. All ifs and butts now though.

More often than not, that is because our opposition string 2 lines of 5 across the pitch, the games are generally exciting when a team tries to have a go against us.

Agree its not City who are boring its the team playing the 5, 5 formation on the edge of their 18yd box

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.