FA Cup Final - Post Game thread

peps worst game EVER for us.

Not one of his greatest but by no means his worst ever. The champions league final against Chelsea has to top Saturday's game.

I thought he'd learnt by now not to fuck about with the team when we have momentum and are winning, as we did in our last eight games. Aside from injuries leave it be. The team that started against West Ham should have started the final. There is no guarantee we would have won but I'm sure our defence would have been stronger.

Football at the top level is often about small percentages. After a superb effort to win the league everybody switched off and relaxed. I'd go as far as to say complacency crept in. Why not? The rags we'd beaten fairly comfortably in both league games, they were a bit of an inconsistent basket case. Battle hardened Blues knew better. A rat is never more dangerous than when cornered. They knew we were the better team. They'd heard all the hype, how they had no chance, how they could be thrashed. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. 90 minutes to salvage their season and prove the critics' wrong galvanised them..By the time we realised we were in a game we were 2-0 down and shellshocked. We lose the odd game like this in the league, look at Wolves away, but we usually have games to make it up. In a one off cup game we don't.

Also such has been the mockery and downplaying of the rags we forget they are a squad assembled at a cost of almost a billion pounds. Full of internationals and quality who when they turn up and ride their luck can give anyone a game. Ask Liverpool. It helps when they get a ref like Madely who favours them and hates us. I was at the game and haven't watched any of it back since, but it looked like we were denied two good claims for a penalty. I'd say they were never going to be given. They were already pissed off with us making history by winning four titles, no way did they want a double double. Also they have to keep the rags relevant for viewing figures. Underdogs Manchester United, full of honour and tradition defy the odds and beat that state owned 115 charges cheats Manchester City. Oh the magic of the cup! We know how these things work.

Still four times champions, super cup winners and world champions. It's not been a bad old season all things considered.

Haven't read through the comments on this thread, so if i've repeated something, my apologies.
Personally, that was our 1st defeat since early december, 34 games unbeaten, wow, the last nine matches, 9 straight wins since the 0-0 v arsenal, again wow, the level these guys have performed at the last 6 months is phenomenal.
how on earth can any blue critisize ? Yes, saturday was so very disappointing, especially losing to the red shite. But i believe they were just mentally drained after what they achieved the last 6 months, and again, if we had gone through against madrid and then the semi v bayern and been in champs final again the players mentality would have been more focused.
It wasn't to be, but they did us proud again onto 5 in a row

Still not feeling that hurt by it. Didn't feel that nervous beforehand, wasn't that stressed during the game, not that bothered by losing. United were the better team and we couldn't go unbeaten forever, could we? We've reached immortality already and even losing FA Cup finals doesn't hurt. Wanting any more from these lads isn't something I feel.

Last week we did something no other team in English football history has ever done and 50 years from now we'll be looked back on as the team who did the treble and then four in a row. That's something literally no other team in England can ever claim to have done, and we'll all be dead before someone does it again.

Nobody remembers Forest losing the 1980 League Cup final, do they? Or bottling the league title in 1979? They remember them winning the European Cup twice in a row. Nobody will look at City as the team who lost the FA Cup final in 2024 because we'll be remembered for winning it in 2023, along with a whole skipload of silverware.

(Charges pending etc.)

Not one of his greatest but by no means his worst ever. The champions league final against Chelsea has to top Saturday's game.

I thought he'd learnt by now not to fuck about with the team when we have momentum and are winning, as we did in our last eight games. Aside from injuries leave it be. The team that started against West Ham should have started the final. There is no guarantee we would have won but I'm sure our defence would have been stronger.

Football at the top level is often about small percentages. After a superb effort to win the league everybody switched off and relaxed. I'd go as far as to say complacency crept in. Why not? The rags we'd beaten fairly comfortably in both league games, they were a bit of an inconsistent basket case. Battle hardened Blues knew better. A rat is never more dangerous than when cornered. They knew we were the better team. They'd heard all the hype, how they had no chance, how they could be thrashed. They had nothing to lose and everything to gain. 90 minutes to salvage their season and prove the critics' wrong galvanised them..By the time we realised we were in a game we were 2-0 down and shellshocked. We lose the odd game like this in the league, look at Wolves away, but we usually have games to make it up. In a one off cup game we don't.

Also such has been the mockery and downplaying of the rags we forget they are a squad assembled at a cost of almost a billion pounds. Full of internationals and quality who when they turn up and ride their luck can give anyone a game. Ask Liverpool. It helps when they get a ref like Madely who favours them and hates us. I was at the game and haven't watched any of it back since, but it looked like we were denied two good claims for a penalty. I'd say they were never going to be given. They were already pissed off with us making history by winning four titles, no way did they want a double double. Also they have to keep the rags relevant for viewing figures. Underdogs Manchester United, full of honour and tradition defy the odds and beat that state owned 115 charges cheats Manchester City. Oh the magic of the cup! We know how these things work.

Still four times champions, super cup winners and world champions. It's not been a bad old season all things considered.

The Chelsea final by an absolute mile, when it comes to weird Pep selections.

When you’re in a pub and the team sheet comes on the TV, and every fucker in the pub simultaneously does a “What the fuck?” face, you know something is amiss.

I was watching the parade “live” on the app as I am on holiday atm, there’s a bit where Ake is being interviewed on the bus and he flinches, the camera looks down and the Super cup is at Ake’ s feet, one of the other players sees him react and says, he’ s had a bad toe for two weeks

Still not feeling that hurt by it. Didn't feel that nervous beforehand, wasn't that stressed during the game, not that bothered by losing. United were the better team and we couldn't go unbeaten forever, could we? We've reached immortality already and even losing FA Cup finals doesn't hurt. Wanting any more from these lads isn't something I feel.

Last week we did something no other team in English football history has ever done and 50 years from now we'll be looked back on as the team who did the treble and then four in a row. That's something literally no other team in England can ever claim to have done, and we'll all be dead before someone does it again.

Nobody remembers Forest losing the 1980 League Cup final, do they? Or bottling the league title in 1979? They remember them winning the European Cup twice in a row. Nobody will look at City as the team who lost the FA Cup final in 2024 because we'll be remembered for winning it in 2023, along with a whole skipload of silverware.

(Charges pending etc.)

Agree with the vast majority of your post, some good points made.

Minor point overall, but I can't agree with the suggestion that united were the better side. I've seen it posted on here a few times and had it endlessly from united fans I know. The first goal was gifted to them and their game plan was entirely based on the second goal and they took it well when it arrived. However, Haaland and Alvarez missed guilt edged chances for us to still have put them away.

It was a game we entirely dominated, aside from an almighty cock up at the back and a well taken counter. It's frustrating to lose to them, and cup finals can go that way, which is why a lot of people, including myself weren't overly confident going into the game. But we didn't lose to the better team, and had we been outplayed, I'd readily admit it.

The Chelsea final by an absolute mile, when it comes to weird Pep selections.

When you’re in a pub and the team sheet comes on the TV, and every fucker in the pub simultaneously does a “What the fuck?” face, you know something is amiss.
You’re spot on about the Chavs final. I know a guy who was at the game and he said the team news killed the mood of travelling Blues.
I had hoped Pep had learnt from that game but the Rags final tells me he hasn’t. To be fair to him most of his tinkering does work.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.