FA Youth Cup 2014/15 Thread

chelsea were the bigger team, more physical and kept possession better, unfortunately the sloppy 3 goal might make the trip to chelsea too much to over come.

City`s stand out players for me was nemane, bryne, garcia,

celina i thought who was at fault with a sloppy pass to give chelsea their 3rd was giving the ball away all night.

best player on the pitch was chelsea`s imported pygmy their number 5, he is a brilliant player and despite his lack of height and build was very strong.

I have not seen Chelsea play this year and was looking forward to a good game having seen our team a few times I was hopeful of a favourable result, I was surprised at the difference in class it was like watching different age groups, o well there is always next year.

I know it's a controversial subject but size does matter.

In football terms, for anyone who has been involved in junior football, it's a self-evident truth that in this age group a good big team will generally beat a good little team.

Having said that I am proud of our boys for what they have achieved, and for what they will continue to achieve. Jason Wilcox has the team trying to play constructive, positive football. This means playing out from the back, and the risks that accompany this style of football. Risks are taken, and mistakes have been and will be made, but these lads are learning the right way to play football.

Sure it is arguable we were monstered out of this game, but Wilcox and City are playing the long term game. One which will see great players emerge from this team. Don't forget that we played without both Ambrose and Boadu, and our best junior goalkeeper (Angus Gunn) was just a little too old to play in this game.

I am still not writing us off for the return leg. Football is a funny old game, particularly where City are involved. I think there will be less pressure in the second leg and I still believe we can give them a run for their money.

Great atmosphere, great evening pity about the score think we let them impose theirselves too much in the first half, did a lot better when we started pressing them in the second half and got a lot more joy down our left, really enjoyed standing on the terraces...

cibaman said:
At times it looked like an U18 team taking on an U21 side. The difference in physicality was huge

Totally agree.

Chelsea were the biggest side I've ever seen at this level. Technically we were better than Chelsea, which is more important at 16/17 years old IMO. Physicality is a huge factor at that age, not so much once you hit first team football.

It's worth noting this Chelsea team are the best in Europe in this age group, it's not like we were beat by nobodys. A very good side.

I still think we'll get 3 or 4 first team players from our U18s team.

I am actually quite encouraged by last night. Chelsea were huge and that physicality showed for 55 minutes but if we had took our chances all that chav possesion would have been for fuck all. We ran rings around them for most of the last 30 mins. My guess is that our line up last night will produce more top flight players( with us or elsewhere) than chelsea's, who i reckon a good proportion of which will hit a brick wall over the next few years just like they have since Terry.

ninjamonkey said:
Compulsive Rambler said:
Sad about the result but onwards and upwards, lessons will be learnt for the Academy players.

Special mention to 1894 for the Flags and general atmosphere... Enjoyed the band playing too :D

One thing i didn't really understand is why our fans were choosing to sing first team player specific songs that were totally unrelated to the game tonight. Sing bluemoon sure, but singing the kun aguero song, the zabba song etc is just a bit odd in my eyes.

Strange wasn't it? Singing it should have been ten!! Whats that all about? Its the youth team!

I always find we don't sing enough about the club and sing too much about certain players. We are Manchester City not Pablo Zabaleta FC

It wasn't the perfect performance by City as we were guilty of giving the ball away far too much. Haug was living life dangerously at the back and Celina reminded me a lot of Jovetic - absolute class touch and technique but always trying a little too hard and giving the ball away far too often.

Physicality was the difference. City aren't a tall side and the set piece they scored the second from was far too easy as a result. Though it was still poor marking. I think Chelsea really got stuck into City and our players were a little shook up in the first half as a result. Nemane appealed for a few free kicks that were just the result of the other player being stronger.

Technique is more important than anything at this level and our players have it in abundance. As they develop physically they'll easily surpass the more physical players now. That being said, don't dumb Chelsea down - they were still a very good side on the ball and though they don't have quite the same commitment to passing it out from the back, they were still very good on the ball and their movement was excellent. Jay Dasilva their left back was an incredible talent. Nemane did exceptionally well to keep going at him and had success as the game wore on, but Dasilva was strong and so tricky on the ball - I can see him ending up playing further forward.

Still lots to play for in the second leg though conceding at the end was a big blow. That being said if we go into the next game with more confidence we will create chances and we can beat them. I think Ambrose would make a big difference too - he's been an important part of the team so far.

Totally proud of the boys last night. Up against a very big very gifted Chelsea side we stood firm and battled. Lot of heart to be taken from the game I thought and but for one or two individual errors could of gone into the 2nd leg at 2 each. First team take note.

I can see Kelechi Iheanacho playing next week if fit enough for some extra power in the side.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.