FA Youth Cup tonight

I think Poso did better than Lopez against better opposition in nextgen games.
Saying that Lopez was good tonight. His mannerisms remind me of Tevez.
All played well tonight, if the players and staff are reading this, well done to you all.

mansour's tow ropes said:
i really think we could do worse than give Lopes a go occasionally, given that mancini won't play sinclair

A genuine talent but he looked well out of his depth preseason,maybe next year.

FantasyIreland said:
i really think we could do worse than give Lopes a go occasionally, given that mancini won't play sinclair

Thought he looked very good pre season.

moomba said:
FantasyIreland said:

Thought he looked very good pre season.

Your tints must be very blue....

FantasyIreland said:

perhaps, i just feel that the answer to our lack of creativity and 'something different' at times could lie in our EDS, whether it is lopes or (more likely) suarez

FantasyIreland said:

perhaps, i just feel that the answer to our lack of creativity and 'something different' at times could lie in our EDS, whether it is lopes or (more likely) suarez

That would be great,for many reasons..... Suarez is probably the closest but still out for a few weeks? Ntcham may be the next 'big thing' but also probably 12 months away.I had high hopes for Henshall before injury but maybe his progression has also stalled.

By all accounts tonight the Austrian lad could be a star.Whatever,seems there is some real talent there - just all a little way off just yet......

FantasyIreland said:
FantasyIreland said:

That would be great,for many reasons..... Suarez is probably the closest but still out for a few weeks? Ntcham may be the next 'big thing' but also probably 12 months away.I had high hopes for Henshall before injury but maybe his progression has also stalled.

By all accounts tonight the Austrian lad could be a star.Whatever,seems there is some real talent there - just all a little way off just yet......

Liverpool probably thought Sterling was too early in his progression but they had to find someone from the youth and he was the one. Is there no one you might think could have a similar impact?

FantasyIreland said:
FantasyIreland said:

I'm sure suarez recently tweeted that he was only 'days' away from a return. saw him at the game tonight and he was walking unaided, so its definitely shorter than 'weeks'

A Mackem perspective.........
----------------------------------------------------------
Published: 12 December, 2012
by Kate Smith

Strong City side overturn Sunderland.

Manchester City U18 3 Sunderland U18 1

Sunderland were knocked out of the FA Youth Cup by an experienced Manchester City side following a spirited display at a bitterly cold Edgeley Park.

The Black Cats, who knocked the Blues out of the same competition in 2008, knew they were in for a tough test upon seeing the City team sheet, which boasted a number of players from their Elite Development Squad, including stylish striker Jose Angel Pozo, who they brought over to their academy from Real Madrid and Austrian youth international Sinan Bytyqui.

Tom McNamee skippered the Black Cats for the clash at the home of Stockport City and there was a good solid start to the game from Sunderland as they began very confidently.

George Honeyman made a number of in-roads down the right flank and he was unlucky not to penetrate the City backline after drilling a ball across the front of goal only for it to be cleared away by stopper Ian Lawlor.

Moments later Reece Noble was able to find space to thread the ball through to Michael Mandron on the edge of the area but the Sunderland man was caught offside.

It didn’t take City long to respond with a number of their own efforts.

A quickly taken corner forced goalkeeper Johnny Maddison into a great save as he was quick to react when he pushed away Bytyqi’s powerful effort.

The Sunderland stopper was kept on his toes following a barrage of City efforts on goal. He leapt to seize a shot from Devante Cole - son of former SAFC and City striker Andy - and did well to deny Pozo and Rekik who both had shots in quick succession

The hosts were rewarded for their endeavour in front of goal as Cole did well to hold up the ball and square it across to Bytyqi, who coolly slotted home from 10 yards out to give his side the lead just after the first quarter.

Sunderland battled to get back in the game and carved out a number of chances with Honeyman impressing with his crosses into the box.

However, the Black Cats were dealt a cruel blow just on the stroke of half time when Pozo doubled City’s advantage as he turned to fire the ball home from 20 yards out leaving Maddison with no chance.

Sunderland boss Craig Liddle changed things around after the break, with Nathan Thomas joining the action.

However, City started with the same impetus they finished the first half with.

Sunderland did well to weather the City storm as Olivier Ntcham watched his powerful long range shot blaze wide at the post and Pozo continued to terrorise the visitors.

The Spaniard used his vision to unleash Bytyqi as he fired a shot at Maddison’s legs and was again the architect as Lopes drove a potent ball wide of the Sunderland goal

Substitute Thomas did well to create a chance for his side at the opposite end as he sliced the ball right at keeper Lawlor.

However, City were quick to win back possession and Marcos Lopes finally got his name on the score sheet when he hammered the ball into roof of net from inside penalty area to make it 3-0.

To the visitors’ credit, they kept plugging away and managed to reduce the deficit almost instantly when Mandron remained calm under pressure to skip over Lawlor and send the ball into the back of the net with 20 minutes to go.

Sunderland were unable to build on the strike and City did well to hold on the victory and seal a place in the next round of the competition.

Manchester City: Lawlor, Boassaert, Leigh, Evans, Plummer, Rekik (C), Ntcham, Bityqi, Cole, Lopes, Pozo
Subs: Marin, Gunn, Byrne, Barker, Bryan

Sunderland: Maddison, Noble, Lane, Cartwright , Burn, McNamee (C) Smith. Agnew, Mandron, Honeyman, Gooch
Subs: Thomas, Burke, Holland, Robson, Hope

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quite amusing that report,it makes it sound like our 'experienced' side somehow had an advantage other than ability alone.Many of our 'experienced' players were 16yr olds,playing for the u18's...........

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.