Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
why's Delph not got a twitter account? he needs to get that sorted as part of the signing on process!

I've been positive about this transfer since the rumours started. I think he's a great option to have in midfield. He'll offer energy and balance to the midfield much like Milner did in wide areas. However, i don't get the "would rather him for £8 million than Wilshere for £30 million" comments. I don't see City looking at the price and opting for the cheaper option because it's seen as better value, The price is simply a bonus. I don't think Wilshere would be open to a move to here to play the role we would want him to play and i doubt Arsenal would be open to selling him either. If we genuinely had the option of signing Wilshere instead of Delph i believe we'd be all over it, regardless of the price difference and despite them being slightly different players. We need to look at this transfer not as an £8 million bargain, but instead as bringing in the best homegrown player we possibly can to play the squad rotation role. Just like we are looking at bringing in the best possible player available for other roles in Pogba, Sterling De Bruyne etc.

If he takes over from Fernando then it's a wise move. Can't really think he's going to be a difference-maker though despite his obvious energy and commitment. Helps with the HG quota too.

I don't blame him for trying. Playing with class players and challenging for titles. Fair play to him.

It's the "this is my club" quote when he signed his new deal 6 months ago.

Foolish for expecting an ounce of loyalty.

I understand that. You have to stop falling in love with players, they'll leave you in the end, they always do.
As much as I like to believe City players come to us and fall in love with the club, it's a foolish notion really. It's a career to them. Most of them have little affiliation to the club, or the country. The best you can really hope for is that they enjoy being at the club, and want to win things with you, but it's a brief love affair at best.

I say all that, but I still kid myself some players want to stay forever. It's what many fans do - until you see them lifting a new shirt at a new club.

Whilst we've bought some similar level players who didn't work out, others have. Gareth Barry, James Milner, Adam Johnson, Joe Hart all panned out pretty well. Yes some cost more, but they weren't seen as world beaters when we got them, just 'good' - much like Delph. Neither Barry, Johnson nor Milner left as world beaters either, but they did contribute to our success, and took medals with them. If Delph manages the same, surely that's good for City and the player?

I don't think they're good examples, frankly mate.

Joe Hart was a young kid who showed promise and we picked up for peanuts.

Barry was an England regular when we signed him and obviously had the quality to improve the first XI. He was a real coup.

Johnson showed real promise and was a decent pick up for a few mill, was young, and had resale value if he didn't make the grade and we had to sell him on.

Milner was one of the hottest properties in the league when we bought him from Villa.

Delph is an average player who's already near his peak, our most comparable move in recent years is Sinclair. And we all know how that turned out.

I wonder if City every give consideration to the fact a player plays for England, and there's a tiny amount of prestige in having a City player in the team? if only for PR / Marketing reasons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.