Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a fair enough interpretation mate, although it's all based upon the idea that Delph will be happy to be a bit part player. What if he's deluded himself that he can play regularly and be an integral part of a title challenging side for example?

Richards was talking about the lure of playing CL football for Delph recently. If Delph did come, can any of us see him getting a single minute of CL football?

I also genuinely worry about the harm this move could do to his England chances, and the flak we'd get for it. He's been starting for England recently, if that changes because he's not getting playing time here, then he'll be held up as another example to deter genuinely talented English youngsters from signing for us in future - 'look do you want to be just another quota signing for City?' Etc etc.

It would be genuinely terrible for us to get that reputation. Not to mention for young academy lads who'd be wary of falling into that no-man's land when they're considering putting pen to paper for new contracts.

It's true the media have been touting this 'City graveyard' nonsense, but what are we supposed to do? If we never sign any English players, we'll be castigated for that, and if we do sign some, and they don't make the grade, we're criticised again. The fact is, we're a damn fine team, and there's simply not many top grade English players capable of playing for us (certainly not ones on the market). We're giving someone a chance, and we can do no more than that.
Delph himself has to decide if he wants to take the chance (and he does). City can't be blamed, and we can't pander to a media who will damn us whatever we do.

This is what's annoyed Villa fans the most.

CJkWp7CWcAAYYus.jpg

Shrewd signing. People will compare him to Sinclair and Rodwell but he's far more established than them and much less injury prone than the latter player. He'll get his chance and I expect him to really work hard to impress like he does for England.

I think he'll play more than you think mate. He will certainly be on the match day squad every week!

I disagree but I guess we'll see. I just don't understand this move from his view. Yes the wages will be better and we are in the CL but he's gone from breaking into the England squad and being his club captain playing every game to being a rotation option at best for us. Can see this all ending in tears and him being here less than 2 years.

Not getting too excited about this deal, is anyone? But definitely willing to give Delph a chance to prove himself here. At least he doesn't have the added pressure of having to justify a big fee.

Best of luck Fabian.

This is what's annoyed Villa fans the most.

CJkWp7CWcAAYYus.jpg
This is why I never have and never will put a players name on my shirt...one day they're your hero, next day they're employed by someone else.

I said this time last year that Delph was the most improved player in the Prem from that season. His workrate and even goal threat on the counter attack (remember that goal at Southampton?) are decent quality. He's made it into the England squad on merit. This is with England having two good midfielders in Carrick and Wilshire.

At £8m this is really good business since we're paying about £20m just for Sterling's homegrown tag itself!

His technique, passing, positioning are all far below the level we require. Not to mention he is very lightweight and won't win headers either. His defensive vulnerability will be shown up at City where everything is under the microscope. His work rate is good and he can dribble his way out of trouble sometimes. I personally only believe he is rated at all because he plays in the country where Scott Parker was voted player of the year when van Persie, Tevez, Fabregas, Kompany, Rooney, Bale, Yaya all had strong years. We value work rate and commitment far too much.

Hope he does well but this signing is only good if we capture our bigger targets. Delph on his own does not improve us at all imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.