Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a thread about signing Delph surely it is acceptable to question the wisdom of the signing and suggest alternative ones mate

I think people have a habit of overrating our youngsters. This kid isn't even in the England U21s yet, and you have him doing the same job as a regular starter for England and Villa's best player. Let's just say this: if we put Bryan up for a loan, how much interest do you think we'd get from Premier League clubs? I'm all for giving our youngsters a chance, but we can't just go into the season assuming they can do the job when they're completely untested at this level.

But Delph will rarely play for us and block the path of another young player. If we get him it'll be to play in CC games and when we have injuries.

None of our youngsters can prove their potential without an opportunity.

Does FFP not allow us to spend an extra £15m after our projected signings?

Because spending £25m on homegrown Schneiderlin seems like much better business for improving the team than £10m on homegrown Delph. I mean there is light years between them and Schneiderlin has recently been the best anchor man in the league except Matic. If you had midfield options of Yaya (32), Pogba (22), Fernandinho (30) and Schneiderlin (25) next season that would be outstanding. Then next summer we could focus on a ball-playing midfielder to replace Yaya and with the age of Yaya and Fernandinho, there is a pathway for EDS if any of the midfielders show enough (none look even close to me at the moment, maybe Garcia or Bryan in 2-3 years).

A Yaya/Pogba 2-man partnership may make mouths water but there isn't much defensive solidity there. Pogba is a magical player but does less defensive work than Fernandinho, who already has enough problems working for two with Yaya. Add Schneiderlin and you have a solid base and options for 4-4-2, 4-3-3 and others without sacrificing quality. Sacrificing quality is what you do when you put Fabian Delph in your starting XI.

But Delph will rarely play for us and block the path of another young player. If we get him it'll be to play in CC games and when we have injuries.

We don't yet have a player in that position who is quite ready though, plus Yaya, Fernandinho won't both be at City for years, at least one will be gone in a year or two, possibly both gone & Fernando too unless he has a much better season. If Kean Bryan doesn't go out on loan, I imagine he could (hopefully) get a few cup games & start to put himself forward as the season goes on. And a player signed for ten mil is not such a huge obstacle to rremove if he doesn't produce the required quality.

I wouldn't mind seeing Delph & Kean Bryan played together in a cup game tbh. I think that would provide a lot of energy & cover behind our more creative players.

Media speculation. I hope it is anyway with no real truth to it. Delph is a good premier league player but will struggle to cut it in our team and for his sake at least, this is a deal that should not happen and I don't think it will. He is better of staying in Aston Villa or clubs of that rating and continue to have a good career that has seen him called up for England a few times and established himself as one of the main players in that Aston Villa football team.

I think we will be going for real quality in this transfer window that does not just add to the numbers but improve the quality of the squad and will serve to take the team into the future. Delph is a good player but does not fit into the equation.

I don't agree that he'll barely play for us. He'll play as much as Garcia did. And he'll also be able to come on in important games when we're winning and close the game out. The young players that will get an opportunity will be the ones that have been out on loan and shown they can do it week-in, week-out. By all means give them the opportunity in some of the cup games, or bring them on when we're winning comfortably. But you can't go into a season assuming that a player who's never played a game for the senior team can adequately cover a position as important as central midfield.

I think we will be going for real quality in this transfer window that does not just add to the numbers but improve the quality of the squad and will serve to take the team into the future. Delph is a good player but does not fit into the equation.
I think we'll be going for real quality if we buy any foreigners. But I can still see us buying squad players if they're home grown, especially if they're available in a cut price deal like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.