Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest, homegrown over 21 year olds are pretty much just free squad picks for us, so you can't go too far wrong as long as you don't blow big money on them. I don't rate Deph at all, but it's not a risk to buy him if the price is cheap. At the very least, he offers energy in central midfield that we desperately lack, outside of Fernandinho, and we're been short in that position for the best part of 3 years now, and we really don't have any academy players knocking on the door in CM yet whos path he'd be blocking. Meh, not a signing that excites, or worries me. Squad filler who could do a job, while saving money for more important and influential players.

I do worry about us when going for HG talents because Delph would be a complete desperation buy to just to fill a quota.

I knew that 10m buyout would be nonsense, Villa are not that stupid, I reckon you can double that fee and add a few more million.

Sam, I understand what your saying mate....he is a solid player but I agree....we wouldn't even be looking at signing him, unless we had a big need to add HG players....

Sam, I understand what your saying mate....he is a solid player but I agree....we wouldn't even be looking at signing him, unless we had a big need to add HG players....
I agree too. But I also don't really see the argument here. Some people seem to be suggesting that we wouldn't be looking at him if he wasn't English, therefore we shouldn't bother. But that's the whole point of the homegrown rule. We have to look at homegrown players. It's irrelevant whether we would buy a Spanish Delph. The only question is whether there are any homegrown players we could buy that would be more likely to add to our squad, and what sort of money they would cost.

Off the top of my head, these are the players we've got to choose from, who would be available, vaguely decent and probably (possibly) willing to come: Delph, Schneiderlin, Wilshere, Berhino, Austin, Clyne, Stones, Rose, Kane, Barkley, Grealish and of course Sterling. Of those, only Sterling and Wilshere would be automatic starters when fit imo. Schneiderlin and Delph would probably get a rotation role to start with. The rest would either be backup or talented youngsters who have to settle for cameos from the bench initially. The club seems to be going for the policy of trying to get the players that would start, but if one of the others becomes available for cheap in a position that we need cover in, then it's definitely worth a shot. The reality is that if we buy no homegrown players, we start the season with a squad of 19 plus the EDS. Which simply isn't enough to compete in 4 competitions.

John Percy very reliable for Villa stuff, his version will be right.

Still don't want Delph, though. :p

I'm still dubious. I get the argument, but I can't see Villa signing a contract like that.
They risked losing him for nothing so would have given in to his demands, and likely though that its unlikely that a team in europe would ever come in for him so if a Stoke or Sunderland etc came in then they could sell him for 10m+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.