Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'd better go and tell the villa fans mate. Despite watching their team every week they haven't spotted what you've spotted, and obviously haven't noticed that their captain is the root of all their problems

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/4154-fabian-delph/page-356#entry1689474

no, I was explaining to Oakie how Rodwell wasn't good enough for us, so the discussion was about Rodwell. My original point was that I don't think Delph is good enough either, and would let us down on the pitch, as Rodwell did (in my opinion), and Oakie took that off on a large tangent about the apparent valuable contribution Jack made, which I must have missed.

Not disputing Delph has been a decent player at Villa, but that's his level imo, and I'm going off a near-decade of his career up to this point, it's not like he's a raw kid who gives you that view of potential, he's been a consistently middling, unspectacular, largely uninspiring player for a long time, and has never shown a true stint of offering something a lot more that makes you think "oh, actually, he's just struggling sometimes in a poor team, he's actually showing so much more", he hasn't done that for me, he's played at Villa's level and not stepped up.

Now, all my opinions are inevitably based on what I've seen of him, so he could perceivably (though I think it unlikely) step up and become a great player and an integral player to us. I don't see it happening, but that's because he hasn't shown that potential so far. For him to do that, he'd have to present a completely new set of data which he hasn't yet done, thus presenting a major re-evaluation. I'd be delighted if that came about, because I want the best for City, I just think it extremely unlikely.

So to be clear, like Rodwell, I don't think he's good enough, I don't want us to sign him. If we do sign him I'll support him as part of the team, but if he doesn't deliver I won't want him to play for us again. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong, but for that he'll have to become a completely different player at a completely different level of performance, so the challenge for him is to step up and deliver, and if he does I'll admire him for it. I don't have that faith at this point because he hasn't done that, despite ample opportunity, in the past decade.

As with any transfer for a clearly sub par player, the more it looks like it's actually happening the more desperate posts start to look, and the more that player can 'do a job'. This eventually turns into them becoming 'potentially world class', usually right after signing, descending into 'Shit, sell him to Sunderland', as soon as he's actually played a game. It's like the scouse boom bust cycle but with players instead of the league.

A brilliant piece of observation.

Very Similar to Milner actually.

He was the big player at Villa & talked about as central to England's future, loads of City fans going 'what the fuck do we want him for ?' etc etc.

I imagine if Delph is on our radar, he might have a word with Miler about whether he regrets his two title, FA Cup, League Cup winner's medals & Champions League appearences, before quickly agreeing to sign.
Yes he's in the same position as milner was at villa,but ultimately milner didn't want to be a bit part player at city ,he wanted to be a permenant starter ,so he's moved on thinking he will start every game for the dippers in the centre.
Had to smile just read the dippers have lined CAN up for Gerrards centre role and with firmino guarrented to start where does that leave milner ?

no, I was explaining to Oakie how Rodwell wasn't good enough for us, so the discussion was about Rodwell. My original point was that I don't think Delph is good enough either, and would let us down on the pitch, as Rodwell did (in my opinion), and Oakie took that off on a large tangent about the apparent valuable contribution Jack made, which I must have missed.

Not disputing Delph has been a decent player at Villa, but that's his level imo, and I'm going off a near-decade of his career up to this point, it's not like he's a raw kid who gives you that view of potential, he's been a consistently middling, unspectacular, largely uninspiring player for a long time, and has never shown a true stint of offering something a lot more that makes you think "oh, actually, he's just struggling sometimes in a poor team, he's actually showing so much more", he hasn't done that for me, he's played at Villa's level and not stepped up.

Now, all my opinions are inevitably based on what I've seen of him, so he could perceivably (though I think it unlikely) step up and become a great player and an integral player to us. I don't see it happening, but that's because he hasn't shown that potential so far. For him to do that, he'd have to present a completely new set of data which he hasn't yet done, thus presenting a major re-evaluation. I'd be delighted if that came about, because I want the best for City, I just think it extremely unlikely.

So to be clear, like Rodwell, I don't think he's good enough, I don't want us to sign him. If we do sign him I'll support him as part of the team, but if he doesn't deliver I won't want him to play for us again. I'll be delighted to be proved wrong, but for that he'll have to become a completely different player at a completely different level of performance, so the challenge for him is to step up and deliver, and if he does I'll admire him for it. I don't have that faith at this point because he hasn't done that, despite ample opportunity, in the past decade.
JoeMercer'sWay said:
or buy better players than either Rodwell or Delph, neither of whom are good enough to be Manchester City players, imo.

and yes, for the rare occasion an injury crisis occurs in that manner, I'd rather improvise than have to be lumbered with Delph who'll expect to play to keep his England place, and thus let us down, a la Rodwell continually, and derail our trophy bids, as Rodwell did.

A good liar should remember what he wrote !! So poor young Rodwell DERAILED OUR TROPHY BIDS and yet he ended up being a Doulble Winner into his second season with us.So how the fuck did he actually derail our trophy wins ???

Yes he's in the same position as milner was at villa,but ultimately milner didn't want to be a bit part player at city ,he wanted to be a permenant starter ,so he's moved on thinking he will start every game for the dippers in the centre.
Had to smile just read the dippers have lined CAN up for Gerrards centre role and with firmino guarrented to start where does that leave milner ?

He's moved on, 5 years later. A double champion.

Liverpool will only play Milner in the centre, if they think he's their best option. Otherwise it'll be same as at City.

erm...he did cock up, giving goals away on more than one occasion.

You clearly didn't watch any of what he did whilst he was on the pitch.

Gone from strength to strength though, so indispensable that he's on the bench as much as he starts at a team that was almost relegated by the end of last season, doing so well that they managed to get nearly all the points they needed to stay up without him in the side.

Started 5 out of their last 10 games (Chelsea A[When safe] L 3-1, Crystal Palace H L 4-1, West Ham A L 1-0, Aston Villa H L 0-4, Stoke A D 1-1) before you start with more nonsense)

I think Oakie's just arguing for arguing's sake, pal. I was one of those who kept thinking Rodwell would turn the corner once fit and reward us all for our patience. His subsequent failure with us, and his inability to command a place in a very modest Sunderland side, provide pretty compelling evidence that his early potential was illusory.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
or buy better players than either Rodwell or Delph, neither of whom are good enough to be Manchester City players, imo.

and yes, for the rare occasion an injury crisis occurs in that manner, I'd rather improvise than have to be lumbered with Delph who'll expect to play to keep his England place, and thus let us down, a la Rodwell continually, and derail our trophy bids, as Rodwell did.

A

such a good post. Still waiting for this valuable piece of evidence that proves Rodwell made such a valuable contribution btw.

Agreed but he could have moved 9 years later a champions league winner.
He's chosen centre mid for Liverpool a role he might not even get .he might end up on the wing again as the new sterling !

It may be because he's noticed that Liverpool & Utd players get preferential treatment at international level, & he wants to make an impact with England at the end of his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.