Fabian Delph

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just because we're filling out the squad doesn't mean that can't. Realistically we need two centre midfielders and we haven't got the budget to just go and spend £60m on both of them. So we go for the very best in one position and then a cheaper squad player in another position and come up with the same result.

Delph is good enough to start for about 15 of the clubs in the Premier League which means he's good enough to start against them. Nobody is saying he should be the first name on the teamsheet, but you need a well rounded and expanded squad.

We needed a midfielder anyway and that was before we lost Milner and Lampard.

We don't have an unlimited budget and for that price there is no better player in the world that you can buy than Delph. Would you prefer us to spend more on this and then potentially lose out on the very highest class of players for our first choice? You have to be realistic about the squad for next season. Delph doesn't have to be here for 10 years, he can be a stop gap measure who might come good and then can be replaced when the time comes up in the future.

And astute signing if we're in for him.

We need a midfielder. Not several. If we sign Delph and one of either Pogba or Wilshire he won't see game time bar an injury crisis in central midfield or the odd cup game against lower league opposition. I find it kind of strange that you want to see this when you've been as vocal as anyone on this board about younger players not getting a chance in the first team. Personally I'd rather see Byrne, Bryon or Glendon get the game time in these situations, they're no more likely imo to cost us a result than Delph and even if they do it'll be valuable experience for them that we'll be able to capitalise on one day through a developed first team player or via a fee received, as opposed to wasting the game time and experience on our next Sinclair/Rodwell/Hargreaves etc.

We need a midfielder. Not several. If we sign Delph and one of either Pogba or Wilshire he won't see game time bar an injury crisis in central midfield or the odd cup game against lower league opposition. I find it kind of strange that you want to see this when you've been as vocal as anyone on this board about younger players not getting a chance in the first team. Personally I'd rather see Byrne, Bryon or Glendon get the game time in these situations, they're no more likely imo to cost us a result than Delph and even if they do it'll be valuable experience for them that we'll be able to capitalise on one day through a developed first team player or via a fee received, as opposed to wasting the game time and experience on our next Sinclair/Rodwell/Hargreaves etc.

We have 3 centre midfielders and play 2 and sometimes 3 in one match. We need at least 2 centre mids just to cover injuries and a 60 game season

Do you not think we might be left short a bit in central midfield?

If we sign either Pogba or Wilshire we'll have Fernandinho/Toure/Fernando/new signing for the two deepest positions and Silva/Nasri/Toure + any new signings for the most advanced ones, so no, not really. None of the players that could be involved bar Wilshire are in any way injury prone.

We have 3 centre midfielders and play 2 and sometimes 3 in one match. We need at least 2 centre mids just to cover injuries and a 60 game season

And if we're playing a 3 instead of a two in the middle then Silva/Nasri and De Bruyne if he signs become candidates for the most advanced positions. We're not going to play 3 holding midfielders without losing our entire backroom and executive structure.

I don't think he is at Fernando's level and I think that'll be quickly apparent if he does sign. How about we sign someone who can push the first two for a starting place? Because if Delph is our backup option Yaya might be right about still playing for City when he turns 40, he'll still be better than Delph.

Absolute nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.