Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fabinho would be perfect for us in that he's a solid option to cover to positions at both CDM and RB. However, we currently have the following have all played in the role that Fabinho would play in our team:
  • Yaya
  • Fernandinho
  • Gundogan
  • Delph
  • Fernando
  • Garcia
Perhaps its been decided that we don't deem it necessary to need to pick up another player for this position? I think initially Fabinho seems perfect because of his flexibility to seamlessly play across two positions, but is it that pressing that we pick him up? We have some fairly decent depth here already.

Obviously there's some question marks over some of the above, but it could be that Pep is confident with what he's got and with B. Silva coming in and freeing up the responsibility on David, I think the 4-1-4-1 is going to be our primary formation as we have little drop off in terms of creativity now.

Genuine question for all.....what is the role of a DM in Pep's system? What strengths do they need? Is it someone that is tall, strong and powerful, who will get stuck in and win the ball back OR.....someone to pass the ball around and connect the defenders to the forwards?

I see a few players in the team that can do one or the other but dont have many options that can do both jobs in our midfield (only Fern)

This is where I think Fabinho would have helped us....

Perhaps its been decided that we don't deem it necessary to need to pick up another player for this position? We have some fairly decent depth here already.
You probably need to rewatch the 1st half of an away game vs Monaco and think about it. We desperately lacked press-resistance in midfield. We partially fixed it by buying B.Silva who will most probably play centrally with D.Silva. Dinho is a fairly average pivot (he's a genuine B2B after all), but we used him vs Monaco as Yaya's legs are gone.
KDB, B. SILVA /D. SILVA will be the CM. You need a DM with defensive capabilities. Yaya is not DM, so as Gundogan. Fernardo and Delph are not good enough and Garcia is still not ready. The only guy you have u is Dinho which seemed to be beyond his peak
It's not a classic defensive mid we're talking about, it's 'sole DM pivot', a relatively new thing in football associated with possession and heavy pressing. That's the problem. Academies don't prepare players for such role, hence the shortage of options. All suitable high-class players are unavailable (Busquets, Weigl, M.Llorente). We can buy a player with a different profile and try to mould him for this role, that was the idea with Fabinho as I see it, but now it seems the deal is off.
Yaya played this role at Barca just fine and won the treble in 2008-09 in case you've missed it. Later was benched by Busquets and left. The problem is his age and waning physique, not his profile.
Long story short - we need some young pivot, but WC options are simply absent on the market.

Last edited:
Genuine question for all.....what is the role of a DM in Pep's system? What strengths do they need? Is it someone that is tall, strong and powerful, who will get stuck in and win the ball back OR.....someone to pass the ball around and connect the defenders to the forwards?

I see a few players in the team that can do one or the other but dont have many options that can do both jobs in our midfield (only Fern)

This is where I think Fabinho would have helped us....
The role of a pivot:
- to sit in front of the defence, act like a wavebreaker
- distribute the ball to beat the first layer of press, mostly using simple, low-risk passes
- sometimes act as one of CBs in our makeshift back 5.
Pivot needs to be fairly physical and tall as Pep will use uberskilled dwarfs (Silvas) as N8 to control possession and press, aerial ability is a must.
Speed of thought matters more that actual speed/acceleration, so pivot can be more or less slow.
Pivot is going to defend small spaces thanks to tactics/teamwork, so Makelele's (Kante's) ability to run and cover large gaps is simply not needed.
The skillset of such player is in some sense closer to ball-playing CBs than to mids. But the requirements to awareness and ability to pass the ball in small spaces/shield the ball are much higher than in CB's case. You can't just put Pique/Stones there, it won't work properly.
As you can see, this should be quite a unique player (Busquets, Weigl, M.Llorente are good examples, though Weigl isn't physical enough for me). The prototypical player is probably Rijkaard, though Busi has perfected the art of pivot and is a benchmark now.

The role of a pivot:
- to sit in front of the defence, act like a wavebreaker
- distribute the ball to beat the first layer of press, mostly using simple, low-risk passes
- sometimes act as one of CBs in our makeshift back 5.
Pivot needs to be fairly physical and tall as Pep will use uberskilled dwarfs (Silvas) as N8 to control possession and press, aerial ability is a must.
Speed of thought matters more that actual speed/acceleration, so pivot can be more or less slow.
Pivot is going to defend small spaces thanks to tactics/teamwork, so Makelele's (Kante's) ability to run and cover large gaps is simply not needed.
The skillset of such player is in some sense closer to ball-playing CBs than to mids. But the requirements to awareness and ability to pass the ball in small spaces/shield the ball are much higher than in CB's case. You can't just put Pique/Stones there, it won't work properly.
As you can see, this should be quite a unique player (Busquets, Weigl, M.Llorente are good examples, though Weigl isn't physical enough for me). The prototypical player is probably Rijkaard, though Busi has perfected the art of pivot and is a benchmark now.

Thanks mate.....taking these comments into account. Am I right in thinking, we dont have many options currently in the squad to fill this role?

How the fuck are we allowing this to happen?

Well he did say he is leaning towards joining them, so he might still be blinkered by the old status quo. I still think whichever mate of his will he choose to play with, either david Luiz in chelsea, or fern and Jesus with us. Our Brazilians should put in a word or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.