Fairytale of New York

I have been wondering if this might have something to do with him being the relatively insignificant son of an illustrious and much more accomplished father.

His dad was mesmerising in the movie ‘Performance’, arguably one of the most seminal 70’s films.

Nothing he has done has come close to that. Plus, he has other acting relatives that he can be unfavourably compared to, like his uncle Edward.

So to compensate, he tries to make an impression through his fucking shitty music and by coming out with emotivist, stream-of-unconscious bollocks that plays well with a certain type of brain dead constituency.

The inspiration for this little belter.

I have been wondering if this might have something to do with him being the relatively insignificant son of an illustrious and much more accomplished father.

His dad was mesmerising in the movie ‘Performance’, arguably one of the most seminal 70’s films.

Nothing he has done has come close to that. Plus, he has other acting relatives that he can be unfavourably compared to, like his uncle Edward.

So to compensate, he tries to make an impression through his fucking shitty music and by coming out with emotivist, stream-of-unconscious bollocks that plays well with a certain type of brain dead constituency.
That’s a fair and reasonable analysis, who knows if it’s accurate. It’s a shame he seems such a cock, I actually think his Hathaway in Lewis is a very well observed character, no idea about anything else he’s done.

Censorship of the Arts is bollocks but it's been around forever, it's nothing new. BBC radio has been censoring music since it came into existence, doesn't make it right though. Even the Python film, The Life Of Brian had cinema's refusing to show it ffs. Who looks like small-minded dicks long-term? The Artist's or the censor, I'd say the censor.

He's attaching the yank meaning to it the idiot.
Growing up in Ireland the word faggot was used extensively without any sexual connotations let alone inferring homosexuality.

Fuck those who take umbrage on others behalf. This is an old Irish phrase. Ye cheap lousy faggot is implying you’re a good for nothing.
A waster. Nothing more.

All Christmas songs are overplayed at this time of year. It’s Christmas. When else are they going to get played.
This one is one of the few I don’t tire of. It’s a classic.

Leave it alone. Don’t change a word. Don’t go all Ronan Keating on it. I’d agree don’t bother playing it at all, rather than changing it.

McGowans full quote

“The word was used by the character because it fitted with the way she would speak and with her character”, he said. “She is not supposed to be a nice person, or even a wholesome person. She is a woman of a certain generation at a certain time in history and she is down on her luck and desperate”.

“Her dialogue is as accurate as I could make it but she is not intended to offend”, he went on. “She is just supposed to be an authentic character and not all characters in songs and stories are angels or even decent and respectable. Sometimes characters in songs and stories have to be evil or nasty in order to tell the story effectively”.

However, he added: “If people don’t understand that I was trying to accurately portray the character as authentically as possible then I am absolutely fine with them bleeping the word, but I don’t want to get into an argument”.

tbf I say a relative has used it and he could have been using it as a gay slur, but usaully the words bone idle were before it so never thought of it as used in homophobic sense, and they haven't said it for years.

But that's language for you, to go to the extreme example It's like all these yanks on social media decrying Cùnt, it has been in old english and is in shakespear, was alway a curse that was multi use like bollocks and bloody (though more offensive) yet in america it is a particularry nasty slur against women and so the american twitterverse gets up in arms anytime someone from the UK, Oz, Canada, NZ use it, where though bad is not seen in the same perspective.

Bollocks, wanker, tosser etc can be in scripts aired on american telly on shows , where here they cannot pre watershed, that's the beauty of language, it evolves and censoring it in art, literature, song from previous generations because we deem it offensive now is a load of bollocks imho.

The exeption are people who purposely write offensive songs, with the intent to stir shit or propergate hate, those should be censored or banned.

Context is everything and in the song the context isn't homohobic, but a wifes rant at her drunken husband.
It’s totally in context to the character and the time in the song.
My own dad used the word when I was a kid, and only ever when talking about some lousy lazy work shy git.
I only learned the homosexual context later as a teenager, probably though television.

Growing up in Ireland the word faggot was used extensively without any sexual connotations let alone inferring homosexuality.

Fuck those who take umbrage on others behalf. This is an old Irish phrase. Ye cheap lousy faggot is implying you’re a good for nothing.
A waster. Nothing more.

All Christmas songs are overplayed at this time of year. It’s Christmas. When else are they going to get played.
This one is one of the few I don’t tire of. It’s a classic.

Leave it alone. Don’t change a word. Don’t go all Ronan Keating on it. I’d agree don’t bother playing it at all, rather than changing it.
Same in Great Britain. Faggot was always a derogatory word much like any other similar word like “scamp” or “rogue”.

Faggot in terms of homosexuality is an American word.

Really does it matter? It's cheddar cheese, who seriously looks at the brand name for cheddar cheese unless it's the expensive fancy stuff?

If you do it's the brand logo that is recognised, I mean marathons and snickers still are packaged the same so if they keep the logo design bit change the name everyo e will still recognise the brand on the shelf.
Well the brand name is very large on the packaging but it bothers me not one iota if they change it.

Same in Great Britain. Faggot was always a derogatory word much like any other similar word like “scamp” or “rogue”.

Faggot in terms of homosexuality is an American word.
Growing up in England in the 60s and 70s I always assumed the word faggot to mean someone, a man, was homosexual.
I never knew it to mean anything else, maybe it's was only in stalybridge. :)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.