Fans that have been supporting City for 30+ years!!!!

tolmie's hairdoo said:
I'm only 35, but have been going for 30.

It's probably about as effective as reign under Peter Reid, and he got us to two successive top five finishes.

It's what cost him his job in the end, refused to sack Sam Ellis, supposed tactical genius.

There were some truly horrible times in late 80s, but the recent football was eually as bad under Hughes, especially Birmingham away and Liverpool.

Agreed, plus there was the Alan Ball,Frank Clarke games, some people talk shite at times.

if anyone who's watched city for the past 30 years says the football now is the worst they've ever seen they want their fucking head read. we've had to put up with 2 shite relegation teams and 4 seasons in the old 2nd division in the 80's plus the frank clark/alan ball eras and relegation to the 3rd level in the 90's. on top of all that they must have very short memories if they think city now are worse than the garbage served up after new years day 2007 when they couldn't score a goal at home for the rest of the season and only scored 10 at home all season, the worst total ever in the premier league.

some people need to get a grip.

rassclot said:
if anyone who's watched city for the past 30 years says the football now is the worst they've ever seen they want their fucking head read. we've had to put up with 2 shite relegation teams and 4 seasons in the old 2nd division in the 80's plus the frank clark/alan ball eras and relegation to the 3rd level in the 90's. on top of all that they must have very short memories if they think city now are worse than the garbage served up after new years day 2007 when they couldn't score a goal at home for the rest of the season and only scored 10 at home all season, the worst total ever in the premier league.

They are not talking about the worst team, they are talking about the least entertaining brand of football in that time.

The football in the early part of the Third Division season, the top flight of 2000-01 and the 2005-07 period was probably the least inspiring we have witnessed and still is but the last five or six games have been on a par with that for ENTERTAINMENT.

The quality of players we have now are higher and, given the right tactics, they are capable of playing better and creating considerably more chances. That's what grates more. If they were all free transfers and bargain basement signings, like they were in those eras, then it's more acceptable.

As it happens, we have been spineless and clueless away from home for four years or more. If it wasn't for the downturn in entertainment at home, the Everton, Hull and Stoke away games would have been passed off as a mere continuation from before.

Football under Kendall & Reid was absolutely fuckin dire even though the teams were relatively successful

I've put my time in, 32 years as a season ticket holder, and believe me it's been a lot worse.

Mancini inherits a newly assembled team in December and adds a couple more signings. He then has to get his head round the players slowly recovering from injury and the loss of form of Premier Leagues most expensive signing. He quickly prioritises a leaky defence and tries to implement a more zonal approach. Early signs are that the defence is beginning to get the hang of it and they look a far more organised unit. Results have been OK, but not spectacular, however the club are still competing for a Champion's League place as well as an FA cup quarter final place. City suffered a big blow to their confidence when they narrowly lost a Carling Cup semi final to a full strength Manchester United side,,. blah blah blah!

I'm not saying that Mancini is the answer or that the football we are playing at the minute is great. But I think he was right to try to target the defence first. Personally, I am prepared to wait a bit longer before making a judgement. In terms of more 'expansive' football, well let's see how we go if our more pragmatic approach leads to an improvement in results. With the attacking players at our disposal, more aesthetically pleasing football might just evolve. If not, fair enough, thanks Roberto and we move on. But FFS he's only been here for 2 months.

Chill out fellow BlueMooners, '74' Cup Final v Wolves, my first encounter with our beloved Blue Hero's! Can just picture those Police Dogs doing their party tricks as pre-match entertainment, Lost of course! but 36 years & still here! Blue Heaven @ the moment with plenty more to look forward to.
'Once a Blue, Always a Blue. We will get there!

bored at work said:
Football under Kendall & Reid was absolutely fuckin dire even though the teams were relatively successful

Very true and the fans were not happy about it at all.

Under Reid we were direct, we long balled it but we created a fair few chances because of it. We certainly weren't defensive.

The nearest comparison to this would be twenty years ago when Kendall shored us up and turned an entertaining team that lost every week into a dire one that ground out draws before eventually the players through off their shackles a bit and turned us into a good side.

I'm hopeful that we are seeing similar under Mancini but not especially confident, if truth be known.

DD said:
bored at work said:

Very true and the fans were not happy about it at all.

Under Reid we were direct, we long balled it but we created a fair few chances because of it. We certainly weren't defensive.

The nearest comparison to this would be twenty years ago when Kendall shored us up and turned an entertaining team that lost every week into a dire one that ground out draws before eventually the players through off their shackles a bit and turned us into a good side.

I'm hopeful that we are seeing similar under Mancini but not especially confident, if truth be known.

The Howard Kendall analogy is a good one. I was gutted when he left. I really think he might have turned us around, although I believe his drinking habits were more than a problem/embarrassment for the club.

Hopefully, shoring up the defence is just stage 1 of a broader plan.

Expectations have risen. A £5m pound player isnt expected to produce much, but a £25m player is expected to produce far more on a regular basis. So are they saying £ for £ it is the worst they have seen.
It is defenately not the worst I have seen by far.

rassclot said:

As a regular since 1966 i agree with the above add Ron Saunders reign to that and you have got the complete shower of shite. However the football at present is not the most attractive and very defensive and with the high profile players we have signed i can see why people are getting pissed off.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.