Favourite away day pubs

Taking over the Fernhurst used to be a laugh .....they turned it into a family pub only I think.

Think it was the 'not fit to wear the shirt' cup game where there was a wedding or christening going on upstairs there as originally there was no game planned. Funny as fuck all us pissed to blues and a hundred or so people fighting through us all to get to the do.

The Prospect of Whitby. In Wapping
We used to go there after London matches back in the late 1960s. It was a bit wild. There was a resident band who played the tunes to bawdy rugby songs leaving the clientele to sing along.

It was always mentally full on a Saturday night and a nightmare to get served, so it was wise to get two rounds at a time. Those on the terrace overlooking the Thames would often throw empties into the river. The staff would collect them in a low tide. Those inside would often drop empties on the the ground to smash them.

It was quite scary to get there. It was in the old East London tube line through Shadwell. There were no escalators and it was very deep underground so you had to travel in an antiquated lift up to the surface.

Then you needed to walk along Wapping High Street which was all high warehouses looking like something from a Sherlock Holmes story. I suspect that it will all have been redeveloped now and the ancient tube line modernised.

I did go back a few years later to the Prospect and found it changed beyond recognition. There were security guards around and notices uo about the ban on bawdy songs. The place seemed to be filled with German tourists.

Back in the 70s it was the Sporting Farmer, near the old cattle market just across the road from the ground.

I also remember one near Palace, not an away pub as such though, The Ship I think it was called.
Sporting Farmer - that was it. Yeah - good in the '80's too; always enjoyed going there even though we usually ended up getting beat...............

0-0 in 76/77? Weird match, only about 2-300 Blues on the open end and some Chelsea loons tried charging us. I take it you hit more trouble after the match?
yeah......on that open end ..we chased them back under the other stand I think. Outside I was followed.

We used to go there after London matches back in the late 1960s. It was a bit wild. There was a resident band who played the tunes to bawdy rugby songs leaving the clientele to sing along.

It was always mentally full on a Saturday night and a nightmare to get served, so it was wise to get two rounds at a time. Those on the terrace overlooking the Thames would often throw empties into the river. The staff would collect them in a low tide. Those inside would often drop empties on the the ground to smash them.

It was quite scary to get there. It was in the old East London tube line through Shadwell. There were no escalators and it was very deep underground so you had to travel in an antiquated lift up to the surface.

Then you needed to walk along Wapping High Street which was all high warehouses looking like something from a Sherlock Holmes story. I suspect that it will all have been redeveloped now and the ancient tube line modernised.

I did go back a few years later to the Prospect and found it changed beyond recognition. There were security guards around and notices uo about the ban on bawdy songs. The place seemed to be filled with German tourists.
That's right there used to be guy who stood on a bit of a platform with his rugby kit on, singing rugby songs all the pub used to sing along with him, and three musicians in the corner playing what looked like mandolins.
Like you say bit of a scary area round there

Sorry @Mad Eyed Screamer but one in Coventry was a cracker...The Mercer?

Also The Angler in Norwich was a belter I believe it's no longer a pub/allows away fans in tho.
Live in Norwich angler is home only but spoilt for choice here fat cat and canary real ale heaven that one or coach horses, kings head all with in walking distance could name 10 more brilliant pubs if you want to get a taxi.coming up on the 29th will any pubs be walk in do you think in the centre hotel booked.

Live in Norwich angler is home only but spoilt for choice here fat cat and canary real ale heaven that one or coach horses, kings head all with in walking distance could name 10 more brilliant pubs if you want to get a taxi.coming up on the 29th will any pubs be walk in do you think in the centre hotel booked.
Ah so it's still going as a pub then.

We ended up in the Premier Inn over the road after the game the 3 times we've been as we knew a group of Norwich fans via a Manc who lives down there & some pub in a pedestrian area chatting to Huckerby who was pretty pleasant as we were pissed by then.

Not quite a matchday pub but Bredbury Hall near Stockport for stop over if in the area.
For matchday pubs I like to try and get in where I am not allowed, managed it a few times at the likes of Arsenal, Norwich, Plymouth, Newcastle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.