FC united of Bury moving on my doorstep...... :(

I have no problem with FCUM, as a football club, having a ground in Moston. However, there are better sites for it that (a) don't require greenland to be built on (b) has better commercial infrastructure to support the build (c) has better parking facilities (d) will not look out of place with a football ground being built there.

There may well be better sites, indeed Broughton Park and Wythenshawe Park were also considered, but in their wisdom, the council have decreed Moston is the best solution to FCUM and the community of Moston's needs.

a) As a greenland site, Ronald Johnson was due to be developed long before the FCUM plan was adopted, if it wasn't us there, it would be someone or something else.
b) I have no doubt better commercial infastructure would be available, but neither we or the council have the sort of funds available to access land of that price.
c)The plans for TAL were minded as to a good parking provision, and I'm sure the Moston project will be no different. Public transport provision appears to be pretty good (better than the yomp from Bury metro to Gigg anyway).
d) As for the ground looking out of place, I'll stick my neck out and say that the plans are sympathetic to the environment, you're not going to be laden with, for example, a behemoth on the scale of the riverside or the Darlington Arena. The Tameside Stadium would probably be closer to the mark.

Have you seen the site where it is supposedly going to be? Ypu will see that unless they clear the whole of the park, which is a vast area, there won't be enough room to build the ground, parking, food outlets, shops etc.

I'll be honest, no, I haven't, I only found out yesterday. I'll be having a drive up there at the weekend. From what I know, the ground isn't likely to consist of any external food outlets or shops. The area is bigger than what we were afforded for TAL, so if you use that as a rule of thumb, you'll work out the kind of scale we're working to, in short, a fairly small area. The mooted description of 'three playing fields' should be more than enough.

Regarding the planning permission, if the council has given it's backing to the project then there's no way that it will be denied, even if every single resident was against it.

Not necessarily so, but i understand your point.

Do you know why the council deemed the Ten Acres site to be financially unviable? There is far more surrounding area around that site to support the build than there is in Moston.

There's been lots of rumour and the exact reasoning, beyond 'the cuts' hasn't been made clear, however the site has been earmarked for development, and this may form part of an 'Olympic Corridor' and in particular, a home for the British Tae Kwon Do Association. Like I say, this is merely conjecture at this stage. We had our hearts set on this site, ground names, where we were going to stand, even the shape of the bar... still, what will be will be. The truth will out.

I'm sure local residents of Moston would be happy just to have the grass mowed every couple of weeks and the money earmarked to develop the site be given to FCUM to move to the Ten Acres site.

What you can be sure of is the club involving the residents every step of the way. It's as much for them as it is for us. Really. You may find that hard to believe, but have a look at our previous community work, even in Moston, and you'll see the good work that's been going on. The site will be there for everyone, community use, kids teams, youth teams, youth clubs, OAP's etc etc. Without that commitment there is no way the council would have got involved with us.

I've just tried to start an online petition on Manchester City Council's website but I'm unable to as they state that any issue relating to planning cannot be petitioned.

See here: <a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/10095/petitions/4759/manchester_city_councils_petitions_scheme/2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchester.gov.uk/info/10095 ... s_scheme/2</a>

i think this is great for moston

i dont like fcum but they are nothing to us or united
if it brings in money and help the kids/people of moston then great

good to to them i say<br /><br />-- Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:49 am --<br /><br />
M72 said:
I have no problem with FCUM, as a football club, having a ground in Moston. However, there are better sites for it that (a) don't require greenland to be built on (b) has better commercial infrastructure to support the build (c) has better parking facilities (d) will not look out of place with a football ground being built there.

There may well be better sites, indeed Broughton Park and Wythenshawe Park were also considered, but in their wisdom, the council have decreed Moston is the best solution to FCUM and the community of Moston's needs.

a) As a greenland site, Ronald Johnson was due to be developed long before the FCUM plan was adopted, if it wasn't us there, it would be someone or something else.
b) I have no doubt better commercial infastructure would be available, but neither we or the council have the sort of funds available to access land of that price.
c)The plans for TAL were minded as to a good parking provision, and I'm sure the Moston project will be no different. Public transport provision appears to be pretty good (better than the yomp from Bury metro to Gigg anyway).
d) As for the ground looking out of place, I'll stick my neck out and say that the plans are sympathetic to the environment, you're not going to be laden with, for example, a behemoth on the scale of the riverside or the Darlington Arena. The Tameside Stadium would probably be closer to the mark.

Have you seen the site where it is supposedly going to be? Ypu will see that unless they clear the whole of the park, which is a vast area, there won't be enough room to build the ground, parking, food outlets, shops etc.

I'll be honest, no, I haven't, I only found out yesterday. I'll be having a drive up there at the weekend. From what I know, the ground isn't likely to consist of any external food outlets or shops. The area is bigger than what we were afforded for TAL, so if you use that as a rule of thumb, you'll work out the kind of scale we're working to, in short, a fairly small area. The mooted description of 'three playing fields' should be more than enough.

Regarding the planning permission, if the council has given it's backing to the project then there's no way that it will be denied, even if every single resident was against it.

Do you know why the council deemed the Ten Acres site to be financially unviable? There is far more surrounding area around that site to support the build than there is in Moston.

There's been lots of rumour and the exact reasoning, beyond 'the cuts' hasn't been made clear, however the site has been earmarked for development, and this may form part of an 'Olympic Corridor' and in particular, a home for the British Tae Kwon Do Association. Like I say, this is merely conjecture at this stage. We had our hearts set on this site, ground names, where we were going to stand, even the shape of the bar... still, what will be will be. The truth will out.

I'm sure local residents of Moston would be happy just to have the grass mowed every couple of weeks and the money earmarked to develop the site be given to FCUM to move to the Ten Acres site.

What you can be sure of is the club involving the residents every step of the way. It's as much for them as it is for us. Really. You may find that hard to believe, but have a look at our previous community work, even in Moston, and you'll see the good work that's been going on. The site will be there for everyone, community use, kids teams, youth teams, youth clubs, OAP's etc etc. Without that commitment there is no way the council would have got involved with us.

all the best matey

as a kid who lived in that part of manchester back in the 80s i can say this would
have been great back then all we did was kick a football around 24/7

been back a couple of times and nothing change you will still see alot of kids playing footy in the park and moston is a great place to build a club up in
if the kids have dreams then lets hope you can give them a chance

M72 said:

Regarding the other development sites. There is a brown land development site on the same road as the proposed one, which has been a waste ground for the best part of 35 years and it's even closer to the transport links mentioned. We would be happy if this land was build upon as it will allow an area to actually be redeveloped, not destroyed.

If local residents state that they do not want FCUM to build on that site, how will you involve them then? For sure you'll go ahead with the development, so their views won't really mean much.

I reiterate, we want to keep Moston green, not keep FCUM out of it.

Regarding the other development sites. There is a brown land development site on the same road as the proposed one, which has been a waste ground for the best part of 35 years and it's even closer to the transport links mentioned. We would be happy if this land was build upon as it will allow an area to actually be redeveloped, not destroyed.

The site at Northampton Road/Monsall Hospital area? I must admit, a number of us speculated that this would be the site, (admittedly in a romantic sense, being the original site of Newton Heath's ground), and would appear to make more sense. However, being that there are more commercial concerns on and around that site, money probably influenced the thinking on that one. But like I say, that's pure speculation.

If local residents state that they do not want FCUM to build on that site, how will you involve them then? For sure you'll go ahead with the development, so their views won't really mean much.

If the vast majority of residents didn't want the project there then I'll be honest, I'm not sure of the next step. Perhaps making concessions to residents needs and concerns but I'm no expert on such matters. I'm guessing unless the residents have an overriding issue which would be of detriment to their way of life, then it isn't going to hamper the project. That isn't me getting all high and mighty, that's me considering how local people have to deal with councils on all manner of issues. If it's the councils land then they are free, to a degree, to do as they wish

Completely understand, not sure I'd be made up to find out such a development was happening on Errwood Road Park for instance. However, unless the area is of specific environmental interest, then the fact it is a 'green space' would be of moot interest to the council. That's a personal viewpoint, anyone with more knowledge of the subject may be able to prove otherwise.

M72 said:

The site at Northampton Road/Monsall Hospital area? I must admit, a number of us speculated that this would be the site, (admittedly in a romantic sense, being the original site of Newton Heath's ground), and would appear to make more sense. However, being that there are more commercial concerns on and around that site, money probably influenced the thinking on that one. But like I say, that's pure speculation.

If the vast majority of residents didn't want the project there then I'll be honest, I'm not sure of the next step. Perhaps making concessions to residents needs and concerns but I'm no expert on such matters. I'm guessing unless the residents have an overriding issue which would be of detriment to their way of life, then it isn't going to hamper the project. That isn't me getting all high and mighty, that's me considering how local people have to deal with councils on all manner of issues. If it's the councils land then they are free, to a degree, to do as they wish

Completely understand, not sure I'd be made up to find out such a development was happening on Errwood Road Park for instance. However, unless the area is of specific environmental interest, then the fact it is a 'green space' would be of moot interest to the council. That's a personal viewpoint, anyone with more knowledge of the subject may be able to prove otherwise.

No, the site shown below, literally 5 mins walk from the proposed Moston site:

2rhn0np.jpg

Oldham are building their stadium next to the above site, so FC United won't be moving there.

As for F.C United, I have no qualms with the reasons behind their inception, but as much as they might like to disguise it, they are still a United B-team.

Most fans who go to the F.C United games will be the ones cheering the other United on at the weekend, so in that sense, until there's a real enmity between the two clubs, FC United can never be a club in their own right. That also means they'll never be able to attract neutral supporters or disenfranchised City supporters, and it'll just be a team to watch when United aren't on telly - which is a shame really, because it could have been a proper unifying grass roots football club in Manchester.

In choosing to polarise Mancunians, and maintain the traditions of the club they desperately wanted to get away from, they've also chosen to keep the rivalry with City. Big mistake. Now that they want to come into my town (Moston as well as Manchester), and threaten to take away supporters of my club, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them out. I'll be speaking to Rita Taverner, Paul Murphy, and all the other people at the council. Petitions as well. Whatever it takes to keep this ramshackle club out, It'll be done. Because Manchester will always be blue.

nashark said:
Oldham are building their stadium next to the above site, so FC United won't be moving there.

As for F.C United, I have no qualms with the reasons behind their inception, but as much as they might like to disguise it, they are still a United B-team.

Most fans who go to the F.C United games will be the ones cheering the other United on at the weekend, so in that sense, until there's a real enmity between the two clubs, FC United can never be a club in their own right. That also means they'll never be able to attract neutral supporters or disenfranchised City supporters, and it'll just be a team to watch when United aren't on telly - which is a shame really, because it could have been a proper unifying grass roots football club in Manchester.

In choosing to polarise Mancunians, and maintain the traditions of the club they desperately wanted to get away from, they've also chosen to keep the rivalry with City. Big mistake. Now that they want to come into my town (Moston as well as Manchester), and threaten to take away supporters of my club, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them out. I'll be speaking to Rita Taverner, Paul Murphy, and all the other people at the council. Petitions as well. Whatever it takes to keep this ramshackle club out, It'll be done. Because Manchester will
always be blue.

I thought the latest with Oldham building on that site was that it had been knocked back ?

nashark said:

In choosing to polarise Mancunians, and maintain the traditions of the club they desperately wanted to get away from, they've also chosen to keep the rivalry with City. Big mistake. Now that they want to come into my town (Moston as well as Manchester), and threaten to take away supporters of my club, I'll fight tooth and nail to keep them out. I'll be speaking to Rita Taverner, Paul Murphy, and all the other people at the council. Petitions as well. Whatever it takes to keep this ramshackle club out, It'll be done. Because Manchester will always be blue.

I tried to set up an official petition thorugh Manchester City Council's website, however, you're not allowed to petition against planning proposals apparently.

It's ridiculous!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.