Fernandinho - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't judge whether he can play right back or not on the strength of that game. He wasn't getting skinned or anything but just had a really poor game by his standards his touch was shocking at times and so was some of his passing. Not controlling the ball and poor passes had nothing to do with position though and everything to do with him looking rusty after a spell out.
He actually looked pretty comfortable in the position. Just had bad touches. That I put down to rust. I think he'll be great at RB.

I wouldn't mind shoehorning him in at LB because I would expect him to be better there than Clichy and Kolarov.

However Sagna and Zabaleta have both had decent seasons (excellent from both at times) and I think both would've been better yesterday.

Too many attacks were halted by his mistakes and poor crosses yesterday. However he should get another chance because if Valencia and Rose can become top fullbacks than Fernandinho definitely can.

He made quite a few mistakes on Sunday but none of them were down to positioning, they were all just bad touches that were purely down to rust from lack of matches. I think he could do a great job for us at LB

I wouldn't mind shoehorning him in at LB because I would expect him to be better there than Clichy and Kolarov.

However Sagna and Zabaleta have both had decent seasons (excellent from both at times) and I think both would've been better yesterday.

Too many attacks were halted by his mistakes and poor crosses yesterday. However he should get another chance because if Valencia and Rose can become top fullbacks than Fernandinho definitely can.
I like him at RB. I've seen him explode in that role before and absent he's technique failures he would have been very good.

He made quite a few mistakes on Sunday but none of them were down to positioning, they were all just bad touches that were purely down to rust from lack of matches. I think he could do a great job for us at LB

I'd much rather see Dinho at RB purely because he's right footed. I thought he did okay there on Sunday but his lack of game time meant he was understandably rusty.

I'v already defended him on here after the game and thought he did more than ok, but another aspect I failed to mention in which he excels (compared to Clichy, Sagna and Zabaleta at least) are of course long diagonal/horizontal balls. It's a very important feat of Pep's tactics that we are able to switch play when one side finally gets overloaded and we maintan possession whilst under pressure, and then 'boom'. Ok, his switches to Sane weren't exactly chance creations but still.

Obviously he had a poor game but I think right back is perfect for Fern, given Pro's penchant for inverted full backs.
Also agree that his touch and choice of pass was off due to his series of lengthy suspensions.
One other thing worth noting is his new born baby. These people aren't robots and we often have no idea what off field issues they have to contend with.
My kids are 22 & 19 but I can clearly remember having to try to work through sleep deprivation!
When his touch is back Fern could be the best full back in the Prem.

I don't think Fernandhino should be reinvented as a FB on either side personally, but he can play CB for me though, so could be used in that role, he's a central player at his best, and should play centrally.

I think he could be but it's dependent on the quality of CM's we have. Let's say this summer we splash some cash on Weigl and Dahoud, it could allow us to slow Dinho in at RB, particularly if we continue using the inverted fullback system.

He's needed in midfield, Fernando is probably our best DM, Yaya our best deep laying play maker, Fernandinho has more of the best of both worlds and is full of running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.