Fernandinho needs to go back into midfield

We have lost a world class centre half, and moved a world class defensive midfield player to cover for him, therefore we are light in 2 positions, and it shows
Laporte and Fernandinho were exceptional last season.

I think Fern is 35 this season so I am not in favour of him going back to midfield when Laporte returns. Rodri was OK today but one deficiency in his game is his lack of speed, and City;s midfield is really struggling with that at the moment. Its glaring at times which makes it very frustrating to see Foden sitting on the bench.

More like Sane outside and Phil Foden Centrally :(
Sane injured and likely gone.

I’d like to see 352 with Cancelo wingback and Mahrez as a second striker with sterling

Foden can still play midfield in this set up

I get why we need to expose Rodri as much as possible to the role in CM that we want him to play, but as shown against the rags, we are like an open door for counter attacking teams - especially when too much of our midfield group aren't working hard to get back and support. Add to that this strange thing that sees Kyle Walker almost playing as a quarterback in midfield when we have the ball.

Pep needs to get back to basics, and part of that, at least in the short term, should be playing 2 CBs as CBs, and putting the leagues best DM (or close to it) back in that role, even if just for the big games.

Not really no. I just think he's a supremely fit person.

It just seems to be a bit of a cliche from the pre-sports science era of 1990s football that once someone turns 30, they're on their last legs.

I've been hearing about Fernandinho coming to the end for years (Aguero too - although he's nowhere near as fit as Fern) but I find it pretty astonishing that people are writing him off on the back of his current performances as nearly over-the-hill when we've just seen a 35 year old guy run a sub 2-hour marathon.

To me, he looks pretty much as fit as he's ever been.
No argument from me on him being fit as a fiddle, but I think managing him in the CB position is helping him not get knackered as quickly or easily, and (to this point & knock on wood) stay injury free.

Sure Rodri is the future.

Right now the City Ship is in turbulent waters,and in serious danger of capsizing.

We lose to the worst Arsenal side in decades,and get dry bummed by Leicester.

We will all point fingers at Pep and say why didn't you try to steady the Ship.

Sorry,we need Fern in the middle for now.

The loss of Kompany was always going to be a test. It appears that our answer was to nick a player from ourself.

We're not a suitably balanced squad, in skill sets / ability, or mentality/personality. He kept that from being a problem.

We stole from our selves. Took the man who was a big dollop of glue in the centre that would spread accross various tactical and psychological holes... and repurposed him to plug a single, huge gap at the back. Daft buggers.

You don't rob Peter to pay Paul, and you don't move Fernandinho from midfield to cover your defence.

It was madness from the beginning and one of Pep's biggest failures this season, despite Dinho being one of our best.

Sane injured and likely gone.

I’d like to see 352 with Cancelo wingback and Mahrez as a second striker with sterling

Foden can still play midfield in this set up
I think we are a better fit for 352 at this juncture.

Foden, Bernado and Kev as the 3 Central mids.

Walker Rodri and Dihno/Garcia as the 3 Centerbacks

Cancelo and Zinchencko at Wingbacks

Sterling and Gabby upfront. (With Mahrez off the bench)

I'll test drive this as soon as possible.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.