Fernandinho needs to go back into midfield

Rodri is outstanding to me, the players around him letting him and the team down.

A fading David Silva, and KDB and Bernardo looking shadows of themselves.

Laporte and Fernandinho were exceptional last season.

I think Fern is 35 this season so I am not in favour of him going back to midfield when Laporte returns. Rodri was OK today but one deficiency in his game is his lack of speed, and City;s midfield is really struggling with that at the moment. Its glaring at times which makes it very frustrating to see Foden sitting on the bench.
Your missing the point, we have left ourselves deficient in 2 places rather than one. Fern is more than capable of playing in the position he has for the last few years, if we must sacrifice a midfield player, make it Rodri

Rodri is outstanding to me, the players around him letting him and the team down.

He would be if he didn't keep getting on the wrong side of the oppositions players

I don't get the "oh but Fernandinho is almost 35" bollocks. He is fit enough to play as a DM for at least 18 months and he is still much better than Rodri is that position, and even at 34 he is still faster at snuffing out danger. We've really missed him there this season and his link play from defence to attack is still second to none in the league IMO.

Rodri was superb against Burnley. Last night against the scum he played too far forward instead of sitting back and protecting our woeful defence against their fast counters.

Rodri was superb against Burnley. Last night against the scum he played too far forward instead of sitting back and protecting our woeful defence against their fast counters.

I'd say it was more a case of our defence being too deep for most of the first half which left big gaps to exploit. When they pushed up into a higher line, we dominated and restricted them to few chances.

We need to play a high line and press. If either of those aspects is missing, we're too easy to play through, regardless of who is at DM.

Rodri is ok when we're in possession and teams sit back but he's too slow to get back and offers no protection in front of the back 4 if teams attack

Ferna is our best midfielder. I have said over and over he doesn't read the game like a centre back. He lunges in. If he does that playing in midfield the attacker normally ends up running into Laporte/Stones who clear up the danger. Now he does it, and with our very limited left backs, there is no one tucking round to protect him. The result a run on goal.
I was concerned before the game, because Wolves invited us on and broke at pace and found it easy to handle especially with the amount of crosses we try.
Likewise Newcastle last week he caused us problems.
As ID70 said Rodri is too slow to play too far up as he offers nothing and gets run past.

Rodri has been at fault for goals numerous times due to lack of pace or lack or quick thinking. And whether he plays with David Silva or Gundogan or both, he’s one of the reasons our defence is so easy to get at because when they attack spaces in midfield they are all far too slow to get back.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.