Fernandinho

Status
Not open for further replies.
ws01 said:
IIRC he had another one of those brilliant quick intercept passes he made against the Rags.

His speed and decisiveness in transition is fantastic. Naturally though a lot of the work he does is going to go unnoticed & unappreciated.

You can see why they payed what they do for him. Class and intelligence in deep lying positions is hard to come by and in high demand these days. Also his complementary effect on Yaya's game makes his value two-fold.

He's a bargain compared to Fellaini, that's for sure.

Perfect post

bluethunder said:
mammutly said:
Most of the time he picks the easy pass, which he does neatly but it achieves very little. In that respect he is similar to Garcia

the job of the holding midfielder is to not do much on-the ball. most of fernandinho's work is off-the ball. you cannot appreciate his work if you know nothing about the defensive side of football.

lmjones1uk said:
mammutly said:
Most of the time he picks the easy pass, which he does neatly but it achieves very little. In that respect he is similar to Garcia

I'm assuming you're pissed, an idiot or trying to get some attention.

-- Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 am --

01MANC said:
mammutly said:

Most of the time I shudder at some of the observations made on blue moon.

This would be one of those times.

All of the above and more...

-- Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:32 am --

This forum has been here before with a Brazilian player, namely Jo. I said after 4 or 5 games that he was no superstar and was absolutely slated for daring to even suggest he was anything less than a young genius on a par with with the world's best.

I am now saying something similar ( not the same) about Fernandinho. He is a good footballer, who reads the game well and passes the ball neatly, but he is no world beater. There's a reason he does not get in the Brazilian team and why he has not played in a better sides before now. I do not see the magic in his boots that some people do because it isn't there. He will have good games, bad games and so-so games and I doubt he will do a lot wrong. Played in the right position, neither does Garcia, who, by the way, is also a decent player.

Bluemoon has its' favourites and its' villans. Garcia and Lescott are currently slagged by most as was Barry, whereas Fernandinho and Jovetic can do no wrong. Sorry, but I am just not interested in which player is currently in fashion and which isn't. In my opinion, Fernandinho is decent, but not brilliant and I'm unsure if he is the type of player we need to take us forward. For me, Gareth Barry was/is better.

I'd be happy to come back in 10 or 20 games time and say I was completely wrong about him, but I don't think that will be necessary. Rather I expect that, like with Jo, the 'magic Brazilian specs' will not survive the winter and gradually people will arrive at a more realistic view of Fernandinho.

mammutly said:
This forum has been here before with a Brazilian player, namely Jo. I said after 4 or 5 games that he was no superstar and was absolutely slated for daring to even suggest he was anything less than a young genius on a par with with the world's best.

I am now saying something similar ( not the same) about Fernandinho. He is a good footballer, who reads the game well and passes the ball neatly, but he is no world beater. There's a reason he does not get in the Brazilian team and why he has not played in a better sides before now. I do not see the magic in his boots that some people do because it isn't there. He will have good games, bad games and so-so games and I doubt he will do a lot wrong. Played in the right position, neither does Garcia, who, by the way, is also a decent player.

Bluemoon has its' favourites and its' villans. Garcia and Lescott are currently slagged by most as was Barry, whereas Fernandinho and Jovetic can do no wrong. Sorry, but I am just not interested in which player is currently in fashion and which isn't. In my opinion, Fernandinho is decent, but not brilliant and I'm unsure if he is the type of player we need to take us forward. For me, Gareth Barry was/is better.

I'd be happy to come back in 10 or 20 games time and say I was completely wrong about him, but I don't think that will be necessary. Rather I expect that, like with Jo, the 'magic Brazilian specs' will not survive the winter and gradually people will arrive at a more realistic view of Fernandinho.
Drawing a comparison between Jo and Fernandinho because they are both Brazilian is akin to doing the same between Guinness and Lager because they are both beers.

mammutly said:

There is a reason he wasn't in the Brazil squads, who watches Ukrainian football? Nobody is expecting him to run past five players and do step overs, he intercepts and gets the ball to the game winners and does that excellently.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
mammutly said:

Drawing a comparison between Jo and Fernandinho because they are both Brazilian is akin to doing the same between Guinness and Lager because they are both beers.

Enough with the obfuscation already! I was comparing the attitudes of the forum, not the players. If anyone cares to refer back, Jo was gifted similar superstar status in the absence of superstar performances.

But, as I said, I am not comparing Jo the player with Fernandinho the player.

mammutly said:
Enough with the obfuscation already! I was comparing the attitudes of the forum, not the players. If anyone cares to refer back, Jo was gifted similar superstar status in the absence of superstar performances.

I know you were referring to the attitude of the Forum, but I don't think the fact they are both Brazilian has entered anyone's head in terms of dealing with them both collectively in a particular way.

It's not like either of them are archetypal Brazilian players. I don't think anyone expects Fernandinho to be a "Brazilian" asset to our team, quite the opposite, in fact.

mammutly said:

I know you were referring to the attitude of the Forum, but I don't think the fact they are both Brazilian has entered anyone's head in terms of dealing with them both collectively in a particular way.

It's not like either of them are archetypal Brazilian players. I don't think anyone expects Fernandinho to be a "Brazilian" asset to our team, quite the opposite, in fact.

If you remove all reference to Brazil, the essential point remains. I was merely using the fact of them both being Brazilian to contextualize the comparison more fully.

mammutly said:
mammutly said:

If you remove all reference to Brazil, the essential point remains. I was merely using the fact of them both being Brazilian to contextualize the comparison more fully.
Given the fact you used the term "Brazilian" three times in your original post, I would suggest it was fairly intrinsic to the point you were advancing ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.